Author Topic: Funny things coaches come up with  (Read 4317 times)

Offline Wingmanbp

• FAN REACTION: +5/-7
Funny things coaches come up with
« on: March 19, 2014, 07:55:14 AM »
Let me set the stage for you. HS Varsity game,  Bottom of 6th 1 out runner at first with score 3-1 and the visitor leading. 3-0 count. Pitch comes in and I call strike. Batter takes off to first thinking ball 4 and then retracts back meanwhile the runner at first just jogs to second. In seeing the batter return the runner at 2nd starts walking back to first and gets tagged out. The coach comes up to me and says what do you have. I said no one called time out and no one sent him back. His response "this is on you and this is your last time to umpire here. That was ball four" I said It was in the zone, which came with his response that "it was only in your zone and its not an automatic strike. " As he walked back to third. Its funny how their player makes a bonehead mistake and its our fault. Its a good thing I love officiating. Things like that tend to make you question why we even go out there.

Offline Rulesman

• Past Keeper of the Keys
  • Refstripes Hero
  • FAN REACTION: +65535/-2
  • Live like tomorrow never comes.
Re: Funny things coaches come up with
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2014, 11:06:07 AM »
Don't do baseball but isn't arguing balls and strikes an automatic shower? Or just at certain levels?
"Gentlemen, we are going to relentlessly chase perfection, knowing full well we will not catch it, because nothing is perfect. But we are going to relentlessly chase it, because in the process we will catch excellence. I am not remotely interested in just being good."
- Vince Lombardi

Offline bama_stripes

• FAN REACTION: +115/-27
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2014, 11:32:09 AM »
Don't do baseball but isn't arguing balls and strikes an automatic shower? Or just at certain levels?

In many leagues, leaving your position (coach's box or dugout) to argue B/S is automatic.  If the coach comes to you under a different pretext (such as the OP), I'd listen to him, and then when he turns it to B/S, warn him.  If he continues after the warning, he's done.

Offline Wingmanbp

• FAN REACTION: +5/-7
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2014, 12:34:35 PM »
Normally yes it would be but I felt like he had realized that about mid sentence so he started backing off. Also I know him fairly well and have called several games for him at all levels and never had a problem. If he had given me trouble before I would have probably given him a warning. I tend to shy away from creating any more drama then I need to but do if I have to. Sometimes there is no other way to handle it then to just make him understand the consequences if he continues.

Offline clearwall

• FAN REACTION: +14/-13
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2014, 11:24:37 AM »
Meh, he's just upset his kid did something stupid. I dont see this as arguing balls and strikes. Tell him what you've got and move on