Author Topic: New Pop Up Kick rule  (Read 20743 times)

Offline Rulesman

• Past Keeper of the Keys
  • Refstripes Hero
  • FAN REACTION: +65535/-2
  • Live like tomorrow never comes.
Re: New Pop Up Kick rule
« Reply #50 on: June 14, 2017, 04:28:07 PM »
...I think you guys are making this harder than it needs to be.
+1
"Gentlemen, we are going to relentlessly chase perfection, knowing full well we will not catch it, because nothing is perfect. But we are going to relentlessly chase it, because in the process we will catch excellence. I am not remotely interested in just being good."
- Vince Lombardi

Offline fudilligas

• FAN REACTION: +12/-5
« Reply #51 on: June 14, 2017, 10:13:37 PM »
where does it say that a kick must be "x" number of feet in the air after hitting the ground for it to be illegal...IMHO if a kick goes directly into the ground it is illegal. ^flag

Offline zoom

• FAN REACTION: +10/-3
« Reply #52 on: June 14, 2017, 10:57:13 PM »
where does it say that a kick must be "x" number of feet in the air after hitting the ground for it to be illegal...IMHO if a kick goes directly into the ground it is illegal. ^flag
If that was all it took, they would have written the rule as you seem to want it.  But there is a second part of the rule which describes how the ball must bounce in a manner of a ball kicked off of a tee.  Are we all so eager to penalize onside kicks that are driven into the ground, even if the ball doesn't bounce into the air as if it was kicked directly?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +864/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
« Reply #53 on: June 15, 2017, 07:41:00 AM »
...I think you guys are making this harder than it needs to be.

:thumbup :thumbup :thumbup :thumbup :thumbup :thumbup

tR:oLl

deadhorse: deadhorse: deadhorse: deadhorse: deadhorse: deadhorse:

Offline zoom

• FAN REACTION: +10/-3
« Reply #54 on: June 15, 2017, 08:41:51 AM »
:thumbup :thumbup :thumbup :thumbup :thumbup :thumbup

tR:oLl

deadhorse: deadhorse: deadhorse: deadhorse: deadhorse: deadhorse:
What this thread indicates is that there is confusion about what constitutes a pop up kick.  Just because the debate seems irreconcilable doesn't mean it is a settled question.  I would hope that individuals on the July 18th conference call will get the correct 2017 interpretation and pass it on.  This is a simple thing and all State Interpreters should be on the same page.  Since everyone has seemed to draw their conclusions already, I do agree that this thread isn't resolving anything at this point.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Offline Rulesman

• Past Keeper of the Keys
  • Refstripes Hero
  • FAN REACTION: +65535/-2
  • Live like tomorrow never comes.
« Reply #55 on: June 15, 2017, 09:18:31 AM »
We'll shut this conversation down until such time as the NFHS comes out with a definitive answer  via rule or Case Book play. This eliminates the speculation zoom refers to. The thread can be reopened. At this point, not everyone is privy to this information, nor has everyone received their printed material (rule books, etc.) from their state office. Nor does it appear the Fed has clarified the situation, either.
"Gentlemen, we are going to relentlessly chase perfection, knowing full well we will not catch it, because nothing is perfect. But we are going to relentlessly chase it, because in the process we will catch excellence. I am not remotely interested in just being good."
- Vince Lombardi