Author Topic: Case Play 3.4.2 SIT B  (Read 1956 times)

Offline skip1

• FAN REACTION: +5/-1
Case Play 3.4.2 SIT B
« on: July 29, 2017, 05:20:13 PM »
K1's kickoff is caught by R1 and returned to R's 30. While the kick is in flight, R2 blocks K2 below the waist on R's 40. Ruling: If the penalty is declined, R will have the ball first and 10 on R's 30. Since the clock is stopped for a new series following a legal kick, the clock will start with the snap. [OK so far] If the penalty is accepted, K will rekick from R's 45. The clock will start when the kick is touched other than first touching by K. [Still good] When a free kick down is replayed, the clock will start the same as it does on the original free kick unless the offended team chooses to start the clock on the snap inside the last two minutes of either half. Does this suggest that when a free kick down is replayed because of an accepted penalty, the offended team can choose to have the game clock stopped for the entire free kick down and started only on the next legal snap?

This was brought to my attention by another official. I also know what is being done about the play. What are your thoughts.

Offline zoom

• FAN REACTION: +10/-3
Case Play 3.4.2 SIT B
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2017, 07:51:37 PM »
This was an editing error and the phrase beginning with "unless" will be removed in a memo that is soon to be released.  I have this info on good authority from someone in the NFHS rules committee.

There will, of course, be no option for an untimed free kick down.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Offline skip1

• FAN REACTION: +5/-1
Re: Case Play 3.4.2 SIT B
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2017, 08:14:34 PM »
Zoom. You are correct.

Offline bama_stripes

• FAN REACTION: +115/-27
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2017, 08:10:30 AM »
Why not remove the entire case play, since it's only purpose was to (wrongly) illustrate the new rule?

Offline KWH

• FAN REACTION: +633/-113
  • See it, Think about it, Pass on it if possible!
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2017, 12:48:07 PM »
This was an error.

The 3-4-7 option does not exist to the offended team when a Free Kick is repeated!
Why? A Free Kick does not begin with a "Snap"!
SEE everything that you CALL, but; Don't CALL everything you SEE!
Never let the Rules Book get in the way of a great ball game!

Respectfully Submitted;
Some guy on a message forum