Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10
National Federation Discussion / Re: DPI or not?
« Last post by InsideTheStripes on Yesterday at 07:45:30 PM »
I've got nothing.
General Discussion / Re: Are officials ICs or Employees - NLRB weighs in
« Last post by Rulesman on Yesterday at 07:18:44 PM »
Yes - I am a teacher and occasionally work subvarsity games in my district.  When I do that, I don't get a game check, but have it rolled into my salary, meaning taxes, health, etc. are taken out, but it also contributes to my retirement. 

On the other hand I always joke with the AD about the worker's comp coming my way if I were to roll an ankle or sprain my knee while working a freshman game!
Really not a joke. IMO, you would be entitled to WC based on your description. Either you are an employee or you are an IC. You are one or the other. Your district canít have it both ways. Would be no different than if you fell down a flight of stairs in your school during school hours and rolled your ankle.
General Discussion / Re: High School Football Participation Down?
« Last post by The Roamin' Umpire on Yesterday at 05:25:07 PM »
Youth football numbers (and especially Pop Warner - we have a few other programs besides) are WAY down. Scholastic numbers are down, too, but it's hit and miss - some programs are up significantly, some have had to scrap a season here or there, and we have a number of merged teams. I think the only program that has gone away permanently in the last decade is the Catholic school that almost closed and let go of their long-time principal (and football coach) at about the same time.
National Federation Discussion / Re: DPI or not?
« Last post by The Roamin' Umpire on Yesterday at 05:21:31 PM »
Contact is definitely early. First angle made me think the receiver just played through the contact; second angle makes it clear there's a material restriction.  ^flag
National Federation Discussion / Re: The spot where the run ends
« Last post by The Roamin' Umpire on Yesterday at 05:18:35 PM »
Ralph,
My question is regarding 2-41-9a.  Why does it say that the related running play continues after the ball becomes dead in the runners possession?

If I had to guess, the clause in 2-41-9a that starts with "but" is supposed to be attached to 2-41-9b. I wonder if this got messed up at some point - sadly, I threw my old books out somewhere along the line.
I think the last two posts are spot-on. The game-control value of a good umpire in his normal position behind the defense is immense; I wouldn't trade it away no matter how much better the view is. (And I don't think safety of the official is at risk; at least, no more so than the wings, who have accounted for the majority of officials' injuries that I personally know of.)

And our association fought hard to get an expansion from four officials to five for varsity contests in our area. Having won that, we're now taxed to the limit to provide enough officials to fill those slots - some second-year guys are getting varsity assignments. There's no way we could handle more right now.
National Federation Discussion / Re: Safety or touchback?
« Last post by prosec34 on Yesterday at 03:30:06 PM »
Doggone. I think you all are right. Literally everyone in our association had it wrong last night at our meeting.

So, foul was by B before change of possession, the enforcement spot for which would be the end of A's run.
National Federation Discussion / Re: Interesting Punt Play
« Last post by bossman72 on Yesterday at 03:20:27 PM »
There's also a simpler way if you have some knowledge of how it became 4th and 15. If it was 3 incomplete passes and a false start... no measurement needed, that would be a first down.

I would not go this far, personally.  I'm assuming we're only doing this on a field without tick marks and just have the 5's or 10's lined.  You can eyeball the distance from the down box to the nearest solid line and do the same for the rear steak.  If it's close, give the offense a first down.  Guarantee you nobody will say a word.  Screw the team that screwed up.
General Discussion / Re: Are officials ICs or Employees - NLRB weighs in
« Last post by Reverend30 on Yesterday at 03:03:11 PM »
i disagree. There are districts I'm aware of who have employees that officiate lower level games in that district. They are treated as employees. I believe it's more common than you think.

Yes - I am a teacher and occasionally work subvarsity games in my district.  When I do that, I don't get a game check, but have it rolled into my salary, meaning taxes, health, etc. are taken out, but it also contributes to my retirement. 

On the other hand I always joke with the AD about the worker's comp coming my way if I were to roll an ankle or sprain my knee while working a freshman game!
Texas Topics / Re: We have to catch this type of stuff
« Last post by The Roamin' Umpire on Yesterday at 02:58:10 PM »
http://texashsfootball.com/silsbee-player-disciplined-blindside-hit-jasper-quarterback-video/

Notable here is that the article says the officiating crew was shorthanded. There's no back judge (and I think we'd be able to see him), so this is either a six-person crew or a four-person crew.

'Round here, we still work a lot of games with four officials. Under those circumstances, we would expect the backside wing to catch this - the referee will generally have moved on to watching the action near and immediately behind the ball carrier, especially given how late the hit is.

That said, R in the video appears to be looking right at it. He's *got* to have a flag on this - even if he didn't have a good look at it or came to it late, there's no one else around these two players; it's a pretty easy inference to draw. I know we're not supposed to flag things unless we see them clearly, but failing to flag this is a great way to end up with a brawl.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10