Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10
National Federation Discussion / mechanics question
« Last post by fudilligas on Today at 10:30:58 PM »
During a mechanics discussion between 2 officials who don't see eye to eye  ^talk this was discussed:

Receiver steps on the end line of the end zone, jumps in the air, catches the ball and lands in the end zone.
     First referee says to signal the touchdown  ^good and then proceed to the penalty administration
     The other referee says to immediately signal incomplete ^no. Not sure if wanted to administer penalty

Would the penalty be Illegal Participation for returning to the field after stepping OB

A third official on the scene had to step in between the two before the argument became physical, as I mentioned, they are not friends

Is there a difference between this play and one in which a receiver steps OB on the 50, catches the ball in the air, lands inbounds and proceeds to score a TD
NCAA Discussion / Re: NCAA Rules Changes for 2018
« Last post by ElvisLives on Today at 06:51:19 PM »
2-2-4-a states that the ball is ready for play when the ball is placed on the ground at or between the hash marks and the placing official steps away to his position.  Even with the 40-second clock running, the ball is not ready for play until that happens.  So, yes, Team A can still request the ball to be positioned to another location, until the ball is officially ready for play.
The bigger question, and it may be the real question you are asking, is:  Is Team A to be given some leeway in making their request, after the ball is officially ready for play?  There are times when the crew will be able to get the ball spotted very quickly, and Team A may still be contemplating where they want the ball.  Under the previous culture, teams weren’t under a heavy gun to make this decision.  If they are not to be given any leeway, then teams are simply going to have to change their culture, and have that decision already made, and ready to relay to the crew immediately upon scoring.  Not out of the question for Team A on a “drive,” but possibly problematic with a ‘sudden change’ score (kick return, INT return, etc.).

Robert
« Last post by Sonofanump on Today at 06:01:31 PM »
After the 5 yard DOG penalty.

So, if there is not RFP signal, can A still choose placement of the ball on a hash?
My mind says A fouled, but we did not have a RFP, so I think they can "move" it.
National Federation Discussion / Re: Hardest rules to learn
« Last post by js in sc on Today at 04:09:44 PM »
The hardest one to remember is 3-4-7. cRaZy
National Federation Discussion / Re: Hardest rules to learn
« Last post by ChicagoZebra on Today at 03:39:36 PM »
To answer your first question... 10-4-6 and 10-4-7!

Trying to understand those as written just makes my brain explode...
NCAA Discussion / NCAA Rules Changes for 2018
« Last post by TxBJ on Today at 12:20:51 PM »
From the 8?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
After the 5 yard DOG penalty.
NCAA Discussion / NCAA Rules Changes for 2018
« Last post by TxSkyBolt on Today at 11:57:27 AM »
Worked a spring game last weekend with no kicking but still bad PAT and used the 40 second clock after TDs.

First 3 tries were from the 8. Players will have to adjust their celebration time and coaches will have to have those plays and personnel pre-determined.

OC said to me, "good to know that if we want to go for 2 this season it's going to be from the 8."

We had 1 long TD (75 yards) and had to pump the clock.
From the 8?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
National Federation Discussion / Hardest rules to learn
« Last post by ncwingman on Today at 09:23:23 AM »
In trying to think about clinic topics, I had an idea for discussion that I'd like some specific examples if you're willing to participate. Essentially stated, what rule did you have the most difficulty learning?

This can have several aspects as well, such as:

What rule was the most difficult to parse out of the rule book? We all know there are several rules that are written in such legalese that they are almost gibberish.

What rule was the most difficult to remember on the field? I'd prefer these to be "common" rules, and not just situation plays. Personally, for me the difference between illegal motion and illegal shift and which signal is which gave me fits when I first started (I think I've gotten it all sorted out by now). Other examples would be rules that have conditional enforcements -- behind or beyond the LOS or before/after a change of possession, etc. -- or rules that are markedly different than NCAA/NFL rules (especially for new officials that are coming from an As Seen On TV background).

What is the most difficult to get conceptually? You see an action on the field and you think "That's perfectly legal" but then the rule book later tells you that was actually a foul, or vice versa.
NCAA Discussion / Re: Where is your position in 8 man
« Last post by bossman72 on Today at 07:47:45 AM »
U lines up on kickoffs where he always has in 7 man and has the same keys.

CJ lines up next to the kicker.

I was going to get you a link to buy the CCA manual, but it looks like there's an app for that now:

https://cfo.arbitersports.com/Groups/104777/Library/files/CCA%20Manual%20App%20Instructions.pdf
« Last post by 1Cor9:25 on Today at 06:38:41 AM »
Worked a spring game last weekend with no kicking but still bad PAT and used the 40 second clock after TDs.

First 3 tries were from the 8. Players will have to adjust their celebration time and coaches will have to have those plays and personnel pre-determined.

OC said to me, "good to know that if we want to go for 2 this season it's going to be from the 8."

We had 1 long TD (75 yards) and had to pump the clock.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10