Author Topic: Official on Seattle sideline  (Read 6097 times)

Offline GAHSUMPIRE

• FAN REACTION: +19/-3
Official on Seattle sideline
« on: January 07, 2017, 08:43:15 PM »
It seems like every time the cameras cut to the gum chomping Seattle head coach Pete Carroll, there is an NFL White hat (Walt Coleman I think) right beside him. Why? Is he an alternate for the game, and if so, isn't there a better place to place them?

Offline Rulesman

• Past Keeper of the Keys
  • Refstripes Hero
  • FAN REACTION: +65535/-2
  • Live like tomorrow never comes.
Re: Official on Seattle sideline
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2017, 10:44:01 PM »
There are 3 alternates at NFL playoff games. One for the R/U position, one for the wing and one for the deeps. All A/Os stand on one sideline or the other and many perform ancillary duties. Do you have a better place to put them?
"Gentlemen, we are going to relentlessly chase perfection, knowing full well we will not catch it, because nothing is perfect. But we are going to relentlessly chase it, because in the process we will catch excellence. I am not remotely interested in just being good."
- Vince Lombardi

Offline GAHSUMPIRE

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2017, 09:41:15 AM »
There are 3 alternates at NFL playoff games. One for the R/U position, one for the wing and one for the deeps. All A/Os stand on one sideline or the other and many perform ancillary duties. Do you have a better place to put them?

I honestly don't know, but I would not have expected them to be in the team box.

Offline zoom

• FAN REACTION: +10/-3
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2017, 10:07:32 AM »
I honestly don't know, but I would not have expected them to be in the team box.
There isn't that much room elsewhere to be in close enough proximity the the onfield crew throughout the game, I should think...

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Offline TxSkyBolt

• FAN REACTION: +45/-46
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2017, 09:46:59 PM »
It seems like every time the cameras cut to the gum chomping Seattle head coach Pete Carroll, there is an NFL White hat (Walt Coleman I think) right beside him. Why? Is he an alternate for the game, and if so, isn't there a better place to place them?
Most alternates set up near the LOS and help with LOS calls. If the LOS is between the 20s then they'll be in the team box.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline GAHSUMPIRE

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2017, 09:29:17 PM »
Most alternates set up near the LOS and help with LOS calls. If the LOS is between the 20s then they'll be in the team box.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What do you mean "help with LOS calls"? Are they actually making calls?

They are alternates, correct,? Which means they are not, or at least in my opinion, should not be doing anything until, or unless, those on the field are unable to continue.

Offline RMR

• FAN REACTION: +10/-6
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2017, 09:39:07 PM »

They are alternates, correct,? Which means they are not, or at least in my opinion, should not be doing anything until, or unless, those on the field are unable to continue.

The SEC uses their clock operators to assist with potential passes thrown beyond the LOS.
"Just because you don't understand it, doesn't mean it's wrong."

Offline Rulesman

• Past Keeper of the Keys
  • Refstripes Hero
  • FAN REACTION: +65535/-2
  • Live like tomorrow never comes.
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2017, 10:41:34 PM »
What do you mean "help with LOS calls"?
"Providing input" might be a better description.
"Gentlemen, we are going to relentlessly chase perfection, knowing full well we will not catch it, because nothing is perfect. But we are going to relentlessly chase it, because in the process we will catch excellence. I am not remotely interested in just being good."
- Vince Lombardi

Offline zoom

• FAN REACTION: +10/-3
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2017, 11:24:05 AM »
In the MIA - PIT game last weekend, I beleive Walt Anderson was an alternate.  When Craig Wrolstad rushed ahead with a signal for offside, not noticing another flag downfield for defensive holding, Anderson intervened.  He came out onto the field and mediated the conversation between the downfield official and the referee, ensuring that the 10 yard penalty would be reported also.  Ultimately, it was more trouble than it was worth.  The Miami coach preferred 1st and 5 over 1st and 10 anyway, so it ended up just causing a little more confusion.  I think it took 3 announcements by Wrolstad in total to get it all correct.  The auxiliary official was important in helping the crew to complete penalty reporting in this case, when the referee was lax in making sure there were no other officials with flags down. 

It's a good reminder for me, as a high school referee, to make sure I get all penalty reports before I signal, as well as  to make sure I get on my whistle and hustle in if I have a flag when I'm not the white hat.  This is especially true because we don't have auxiliary officials on the high school sideline.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Offline bossman72

• FAN REACTION: +301/-25
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2017, 12:06:00 PM »

In our conference, the alternate is expected to help with ineligibles down field, substitutions, passer beyond LOS inside the 7, pass completed behind/beyond from inside the 7.  They put him to work!