Author Topic: getting equipment  (Read 4529 times)

Offline dvasques

• FAN REACTION: +13/-2
getting equipment
« on: November 19, 2012, 03:51:43 PM »
Hi, guys, I'm going to the US for a few weeks in december and I want to get me a few things to start using in games here in Brasil.
Shirts and caps are provided by the league so I won't need those. But I want to get the whole rest and I got a few questions to the more experienced...

First is, where should I order stuff from? I know there are a lot of options but are there any ones better then the rest?

I read on another thread that people were happier with Smitty's black pants then any others, so that's the one I'm getting.
Which tipe of bean bag should I get??? We've never used beam bags aroung here... we've got black flags instead but I want to get me real bags
I'm thinking about getting the black ball center flag instead of the whole gold ones... guys got any thoughts on types of flags?
What shoes do you wear?
I'm getting the CMG Fox 40 whistle, a small down indicator and probably a pressure gauge...

Am I missing something?

Sorry for asking such beguiner's questions but I'm trying to get better attired for games coz we look bad right now

Offline bama_stripes

• FAN REACTION: +115/-27
Re: getting equipment
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2012, 05:18:33 PM »
If you can find them, the rectangular, fold-over bean bags with the plastic-like cover work better for us that the cloth ones with bird seed.  They don't get dirty as quickly, and are much easier to clean when they do.

Personally, I like the Adidas Turf Hog shoes.

YMMV.

Offline HLinNC

• FAN REACTION: +133/-24
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2012, 05:28:36 PM »
 Depending on where you are going to be, Honig's may have a store near you.  You can research their site for locations

Most football officials gear is considered a specialty item so not many retail sporting goods stores carry much more than whistles and striped shirts.  Most officials purchase their items from a catalog, the suppliers internet web site, or some suppliers bring a trailer or truck full of gear to large clinic meetings.

With the Internet, you can get the same things we get here.  I would assume the shipping would be more costly to you.

Offline dvasques

• FAN REACTION: +13/-2
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2012, 06:01:38 PM »
I am going to the US but I was thinking about ordering stuff online. I'll be in Colorado, then NY then Durham, NC. I've seen that Honigs have a store in Colorado and in Raleigh. But I guess if I decide to order something after I visit one of those stores, I won't have time enough for the shipping. So that's my dilema. I need to decide on what to order without looking and feeling stuff. And I got a bunch of doubts about types of flags an bean bags and stuff.

About the bean bags, I've only seen Nylon and Vinyl types on the websites I've checked... are you talking about one of those, bama?

Offline VALJ

• FAN REACTION: +90/-14
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2012, 07:12:12 PM »
I've "walked in" to the Raleigh office, and they were great.  Would be a great opportunity to "try it before you buy it".

Offline HLinNC

• FAN REACTION: +133/-24
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2012, 09:25:34 PM »
 I too have been to the Honig's store in Raleigh.  It's in a small, old house next to a church off Creedmore.  Take US-70 from Durham to Crabtree Valley Mall then left.  It's about 2-3 miles as I recall.

Call them and they'll get it ready for you to pick up.

Offline TampaSteve

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +23/-13
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2012, 06:07:28 AM »
I've always been satisfied with Honigs.  IF in FL, I believe they have a location in Ft. Lauderdale.  Certainly, you can order everything from them on line..

Offline goodgrr

• Roger Goodgroves
  • FAN REACTION: +13/-12
  • We are always learning
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2017, 02:40:29 PM »
This is resurrecting an old thread, however, my wife is visiting Ft. Lauderdale next week from the UK and wondered if anybody knows if you can pick up in person at Honig's location at 3900 NE 5th Ave, Oakland Park, FL 33334?

Offline Ump62

• FAN REACTION: +3/-0
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2017, 05:50:04 PM »
ALL Honig's storefront locations, except for Denver, have been closed. I believe that everything comes out of the Colorado facility now.