Author Topic: What does the "5yds or more" dimension beyond the end line indicate?  (Read 1743 times)

Offline awood1

• FAN REACTION: +0/-0
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
Help settle a discussion re: the NFHS field diagram for an 11-player football field.

There is a rather vague dimension beyond the end line that says "5 YDS. OR MORE" that has no reference in the rules?  Can anyone point to a reference within the rules that helps define what this is in reference to?

PS. It's not the restraining line.

Offline GA Umpire

• Refstripes Hero
  • FAN REACTION: +30/-3
Re: What does the "5yds or more" dimension beyond the end line indicate?
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2018, 03:35:16 PM »
Help settle a discussion re: the NFHS field diagram for an 11-player football field.

There is a rather vague dimension beyond the end line that says "5 YDS. OR MORE" that has no reference in the rules?  Can anyone point to a reference within the rules that helps define what this is in reference to?

PS. It's not the restraining line.
Ralph can correct me if I misspeak.

This notation is to indicate that any obstruction (wall, track, fence, discuss circle, high jump pit, etc., must be at least five yards or more from the end line or sideline.

Offline js in sc

• FAN REACTION: +17/-7
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2018, 03:43:08 PM »
Because that line is a continuation of the lines enclosing the team sidelines, inside of which are the team boxes etc., it seems that this 5 yard belt would suggest that no non-game related equipment or other obstructions should be within 5 yards of the field, including the end zone areas.  I would assume this is a player safety issue.

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +864/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2018, 11:22:23 AM »
We used to have scribes/fans/parents/cheerleaders/prom queen & her court/and the like standing with their hind paws nearly touching the endline. With that 5 yard moat, their hind paws are no longer where they used to be.