Author Topic: snap or RFP - new rule thought  (Read 11324 times)

Offline VALJ

• FAN REACTION: +90/-14
Re: snap or RFP - new rule thought
« Reply #25 on: November 07, 2017, 01:13:39 PM »
I'd love to see something like that come into play in Fed, though I suspect that NFHS would find that rule "too complicated".

Offline east louis

• FAN REACTION: +1/-15
« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2018, 08:36:23 AM »
B gets option,A's OH caused clock stoppage even though B foul was DB.Depending on game situation,decision is B's

Offline ilyazhito

• FAN REACTION: +11/-13
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2018, 04:50:06 PM »
[hypothetical on] If FED adopted zap-10, and this was in the last minute of the 2nd quarter, A would have the option to choose zap-10, because B's foul prevented the clock from starting (It was already stopped due to the enforcement of A's OH).  [hypothetical off]

Without zap-10, B would have the option, because B was originally the offended team. If B declines their option, A gets to choose.

Offline Legacy Zebra

• FAN REACTION: +52/-9
« Reply #28 on: May 06, 2018, 05:14:29 PM »
[hypothetical on] If FED adopted zap-10, and this was in the last minute of the 2nd quarter, A would have the option to choose zap-10, because B's foul prevented the clock from starting (It was already stopped due to the enforcement of A's OH).  [hypothetical off]

That’s not how the 10 sec RO works. It only applies if the foul causes the clock to stop. Since the clock was stopped to enforce the OH, the DB foul did not affect the clock. Neither team would have the option for a runoff.

Offline ilyazhito

• FAN REACTION: +11/-13
« Reply #29 on: May 06, 2018, 07:13:54 PM »
That’s not how the 10 sec RO works. It only applies if the foul causes the clock to stop. Since the clock was stopped to enforce the OH, the DB foul did not affect the clock. Neither team would have the option for a runoff.

D'oh! Now, with zap-10, there would be no options. Clock was stopped, so no runoff. Because fouls by both teams, (and clock stopped), no runoff, clock starts on snap.

In FED, would the clock start on the snap, by default?

Offline VA Official

• FAN REACTION: +4/-6
« Reply #30 on: May 07, 2018, 07:41:32 AM »
B gets option,A's OH caused clock stoppage even though B foul was DB.Depending on game situation,decision is B's

As was stated earlier in this thread, as the rule currently reads and was interpreted at the interpreters meeting last July, B gets the option and if they do not choose to start on the snap then A gets the option as well.

In FED, would the clock start on the snap, by default?

If there are no options to either team, the clock would start depending on what occurred during the play. OOB, incomplete, etc. is on the snap, down inbounds is on the ready.

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +864/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
« Reply #31 on: May 07, 2018, 08:34:51 AM »
I'd love to see something like that come into play in Fed, though I suspect that NFHS would find that rule "too complicated".
I have not seen the "runoff rule" proposed @ NFHS since my time on the rules committee.
I believe my time on the rules committee exceeds the time that the runoff rule has been in town @ NCAA.
I believe ,with the Bruins now out, I'll root for the Tampa Bay lightning.
I believe it is now time for some clam-broth coffee.

tR:oLl :puke:

Offline FLAHL

• FAN REACTION: +52/-9
« Reply #32 on: May 07, 2018, 11:39:00 AM »

I believe, with the Bruins now out, I'll root for the Tampa Bay lightning.

Welcome Ralph!!  Glad to have you on board.   pHiNzuP

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +864/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
« Reply #33 on: May 08, 2018, 09:00:33 AM »
Welcome Ralph!!  Glad to have you on board.   pHiNzuP
We've attended several Lightning games over the years when at our vacation spot on St. Pete Beach. The Lightning fans always seemed to enjoy good hockey. Conversely, fans at the Boston Garden only seem to enjoy good BRUINS hockey. :) Several former Lightning players and a coach were U-Maine alum - that added to the interest.