Author Topic: Ineligible by Number Reports as Eligible??  (Read 2396 times)

Offline chriscwilson

• FAN REACTION: +0/-1
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
Ineligible by Number Reports as Eligible??
« on: October 13, 2017, 08:56:37 AM »
Statement from another white hat:

A player ineligible by number (#52) can report to the white hat and become an eligible receiver in a varsity game.  I have never heard of this outside of the NFL.  This can't be true??

Offline MClays99

• FAN REACTION: +0/-0
Re: Ineligible by Number Reports as Eligible??
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2017, 09:02:28 AM »
Player might be eligible by position, but not eligible by number.  I think that the white hat in your statement needs to make sure he knows he is working Friday nights and not Sunday's...

Offline chriscwilson

• FAN REACTION: +0/-1
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2017, 09:15:06 AM »
That is what I tried to tell him, to no avail.

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +864/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2017, 10:17:49 AM »
OR....He may have been an umpire back in the 80's. In 1983 ,the pull-over vests were removed from the kicking team and those needing exceptions to the numbering requirement needed to report to the umpire when in scrimmage kick formation. It worked so well ,in 1984 it was removed. He may not have gone to the 1984 rules meetings and may have been sleeping with his eyes open in 1983 when "...only during scrimmage kick formations was being mentioned. Then again, he may have thought he was officiating in the NFL  ???.

z^ ^good ^no ^talk ^TD z^

Offline The Roamin' Umpire

• FAN REACTION: +30/-16
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2017, 02:12:57 PM »
OR....He may have been an umpire back in the 80's. In 1983 ,the pull-over vests were removed from the kicking team and those needing exceptions to the numbering requirement needed to report to the umpire when in scrimmage kick formation. It worked so well ,in 1984 it was removed. He may not have gone to the 1984 rules meetings and may have been sleeping with his eyes open in 1983 when "...only during scrimmage kick formations was being mentioned. Then again, he may have thought he was officiating in the NFL  ???.

z^ ^good ^no ^talk ^TD z^

Ralph, I sincerely adore these tidbits on old rules changes... even when they predate several of the officials in our organization.  ;D