Author Topic: 2011 National Federation Football Rules Questionnaire  (Read 8958 times)

Offline Rulesman

• Past Keeper of the Keys
  • Refstripes Hero
  • FAN REACTION: +65535/-2
  • Live like tomorrow never comes.
2011 National Federation Football Rules Questionnaire
« on: December 01, 2011, 03:08:52 PM »
Available at www.nfhs.org/questionnaire. Questionnaire closes on January 6, 2012.
"Gentlemen, we are going to relentlessly chase perfection, knowing full well we will not catch it, because nothing is perfect. But we are going to relentlessly chase it, because in the process we will catch excellence. I am not remotely interested in just being good."
- Vince Lombardi

mbyron

Re: 2011 National Federation Football Rules Questionnaire
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2011, 08:20:18 PM »
Anyone have the answers?
 ;D

Offline Curious

• FAN REACTION: +36/-50
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2011, 07:57:24 AM »
Anyone have the answers?
 ;D

No answers here; but the survey does, I think, give us some insight on where the Rules committee might be headed...

Good time for us to weigh in!

Thanks, Rulesman, for the heads up.

Offline TampaSteve

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +23/-13
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2011, 08:48:19 AM »
Remove hurdling: a big 'yes' from here.
Remove player if helmet comes off: personally  I support it, but really not a big deal round these parts; however, I believe it was on the docket for last year's NCAA changes & was turned down due to it being (paraphrase) 'another thing to account for before a play goes off'

Offline HLinNC

• FAN REACTION: +133/-24
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2011, 01:30:18 PM »
NC required us to record each incident in varsity games where the helmet comes off and submit a post game list to the state office this season.  I expect we will see increased emphasis and scrutiny of proper helmet fitting by school staff this off-season.

I'm not in favor of removing the player as I've yet to see any damage done from it but I can see it being done as a tool to emphasize to coaches that they better make sure they are properly fitting their players.

Offline Curious

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2011, 04:03:41 PM »
NC required us to record each incident in varsity games where the helmet comes off and submit a post game list to the state office this season.  I expect we will see increased emphasis and scrutiny of proper helmet fitting by school staff this off-season.

I'm not in favor of removing the player as I've yet to see any damage done from it but I can see it being done as a tool to emphasize to coaches that they better make sure they are properly fitting their players.

So we can blame you guys...... ^flag ^flag

Offline HLinNC

• FAN REACTION: +133/-24
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2011, 04:40:51 PM »
No, not entirely, :

Remember to send in your helmet reports. You have been doing a fantastic job with this information. This is a national study, so it is crucial I get all reports of helmets being dislodged. Thanks again for a job well done. We will do this study through the end of the regular season, but will not collect data during the playoffs.

Offline Curious

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2011, 04:45:53 PM »
No, not entirely, :

Interesting...we here in Michigan were never asked to capture this data (thankfully, I might add).

(But we have to blame somebody!)

Offline bama_stripes

• FAN REACTION: +115/-27
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2011, 10:57:06 AM »
Thoought it interesting that there was no mention of changing the definition of a legal formation  to "no more than four backs" rather than "at least seven linemen".

Offline Atlanta Blue

• FAN REACTION: +160/-71
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2011, 01:01:10 PM »
This came up at the rules meeting last year and I don't think it even got out of committee.

To me it makes sense, which is why it probably won't happen.

Offline NorCalMike

• FAN REACTION: +23/-8
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2011, 01:00:08 AM »
It's too bad they wouldn't let us add comments. Apparently the don't want any additional suggestions.

Offline Rulesman

• Past Keeper of the Keys
  • Refstripes Hero
  • FAN REACTION: +65535/-2
  • Live like tomorrow never comes.
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2011, 07:56:55 AM »
It's too bad they wouldn't let us add comments. Apparently the don't want any additional suggestions.
Proposals/suggestions have to be channeled through you state office.
"Gentlemen, we are going to relentlessly chase perfection, knowing full well we will not catch it, because nothing is perfect. But we are going to relentlessly chase it, because in the process we will catch excellence. I am not remotely interested in just being good."
- Vince Lombardi

Offline Curious

« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2011, 08:49:53 AM »
"It's too bad they wouldn't let us add comments. Apparently the don't want any additional suggestion"...

Proposals/suggestions have to be channeled through you state office.

This is why I started the "Let's Fix It" thread for NFHS rules.  I'm consolidating everything  the Refstripes member have sent in and will send them to the Michigan High School Athletic Association; but if you have more, please add them ASAP.

Offline Atlanta Blue

• FAN REACTION: +160/-71
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2011, 10:48:28 AM »
"It's too bad they wouldn't let us add comments. Apparently the don't want any additional suggestion"...

This is why I started the "Let's Fix It" thread for NFHS rules.  I'm consolidating everything  the Refstripes member have sent in and will send them to the Michigan High School Athletic Association; but if you have more, please add them ASAP.

Suggested changes for next year were due by October 31.  The vote is in January, and they need to be prepped, and sent to all of the committee weeks before the meeting.  No new proposed changes are offered at the meeting, only those that were sent out to the committee in December.

If you are sending in changes to the MHSAA now, they would be for 2013.

Offline Curious

« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2011, 02:18:52 PM »
Suggested changes for next year were due by October 31.  The vote is in January, and they need to be prepped, and sent to all of the committee weeks before the meeting.  No new proposed changes are offered at the meeting, only those that were sent out to the committee in December.

If you are sending in changes to the MHSAA now, they would be for 2013.

Thanks for the heads-up AB.  Nice to know.  Maybe we'll get some more good suggestions before the 2012 season.

Offline bossman72

• FAN REACTION: +301/-25
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2012, 09:29:32 AM »
I saw this thread too late.  Does anyone have the questions that were on the survey?  I just wanted to see what was on the table for this year.