Author Topic: spotting the ball in front of A's goalline.  (Read 4466 times)

Offline refjeff

• FAN REACTION: +19/-30
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
spotting the ball in front of A's goalline.
« on: February 01, 2018, 08:50:12 AM »
I need a citation I can point at.  I'm pretty sure I've read this, but then again maybe it was in a dream ...

A is on their own 1 yard line.  They run the ball, and get the ball completely out of the end zone, but when we turn the ball so that the long axis is parallel to the sideline the tail end of the ball breaks the plane of the goalline.  That would be a safety, which was not the result of the play.  So the correct mechanic is to move the ball forward a couple of inches to get it out of the end zone.  In effect giving the offense a couple of inches they did not earn.

Similar situation.  A is on their 1/2 yard line and false starts.  Half the distance to the goalline puts the ball on the 9 inch line, which means 2 inches of the ball are in the end zone.  We can't do that because that is a safety, so again we slide the ball forward to get it out of the end zone.

I know that I have read this somewhere, about spotting the ball outside of the end zone, but I can't find it.  Who can tell me where it is? 

Offline Magician

• FAN REACTION: +257/-8
Re: spotting the ball in front of A's goalline.
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2018, 09:33:49 AM »
I don't think you'll find anything specifically in the rule book to address these situations. It's really a common sense thing. I think saying A gets a few inches they didn't earn is a little extreme. All spots are estimates anyway and very likely off by a foot or two in many cases anyway. Don't worry about a couple inches. There are instances where inches can matter (breaking the plane going in, touching out of bounds), but this isn't one of them. Don't make this harder than it needs to be. He got out of the end zone, keep him out on the spot.

Offline sir55

• FAN REACTION: +12/-5
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2018, 09:37:57 AM »

5.3.4 SITUATION A:

With first and 10 from A's 4-yard line, A1 is tackled and the ball is lying on the 5-inch line with its long axis parallel to the goal line. How is the ball to be spotted?

RULING: The referee will, by rule, rotate and place the ball so that its rear point is not penetrating the plane of A's goal line. The ball is rotated with its rearmost point moved forward just enough so it isn't touching the goal line. A gains a few inches in the process.

Offline refjeff

• FAN REACTION: +19/-30
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2018, 09:59:04 AM »
5.3.4 SITUATION A:

With first and 10 from A's 4-yard line, A1 is tackled and the ball is lying on the 5-inch line with its long axis parallel to the goal line. How is the ball to be spotted?

RULING: The referee will, by rule, rotate and place the ball so that its rear point is not penetrating the plane of A's goal line. The ball is rotated with its rearmost point moved forward just enough so it isn't touching the goal line. A gains a few inches in the process.

tiphat:    Thank you!  I knew I had read this somewhere, but then I got lost in the weeds trying to find it.

Offline sir55

• FAN REACTION: +12/-5
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2018, 10:10:18 AM »
Thank you as well, I am just glad we are still discussing high school football!!!

Offline blandis

• FAN REACTION: +3/-4
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2018, 06:32:12 AM »
Team B gains the length of the ball. In other words, the rearmost point of the ball becomes the foremost point of the ball. You don't move the ball as described in the question. This is clearly stated in Rule 5-3-3.

Offline js in sc

• FAN REACTION: +17/-7
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2018, 11:42:22 AM »
Although it does not reference the goal line specifically, case 5.3.2 (Situation A) in the 2017 NFHS casebook talks about rotating the ball  for measurement for first down and gives the mechanic for rotating the ball.  The referee places his hand at the rearmost point of the ball and rotates if from parallel to the line to perpendicular, leaving the rearmost point of the ball the same.  This should apply for the goal line as well.

Offline KWH

• FAN REACTION: +633/-113
  • See it, Think about it, Pass on it if possible!
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2018, 05:15:13 PM »
I would follow the direction of 5.3.4 SITUATION A
This play is very specific on how to handle this situation.
SEE everything that you CALL, but; Don't CALL everything you SEE!
Never let the Rules Book get in the way of a great ball game!

Respectfully Submitted;
Some guy on a message forum

Offline CalhounLJ

• FAN REACTION: +134/-1004
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2018, 07:38:15 AM »
Team B gains the length of the ball. In other words, the rearmost point of the ball becomes the foremost point of the ball. You don't move the ball as described in the question. This is clearly stated in Rule 5-3-3.

this is true in every case except the case in question. when the goal line is in play, and the proper spotting of the ball would leave the rearmost point in the endzone, and the result of the play was not a safety, then 5.3.4 situation A comes into play.

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +864/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2018, 01:27:35 PM »
A method that I use if I need to rotate the ball for a measurement is to place my hat at it's foremost spot. When the chains arrive, I'll then rotate the ball without changing it's foremost spot or moving my hat. I'll invite both captains over to watch the measurement and explain what I'm doing when I do it. Seems to work.

Offline KWH

• FAN REACTION: +633/-113
  • See it, Think about it, Pass on it if possible!
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2018, 01:49:07 PM »

Does you hat still have that Patriots Logo Patch on the inside?
SEE everything that you CALL, but; Don't CALL everything you SEE!
Never let the Rules Book get in the way of a great ball game!

Respectfully Submitted;
Some guy on a message forum

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +864/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2018, 07:12:58 AM »
Does you hat still have that Patriots Logo Patch on the inside?
Not to be slighted, it also includes the logos of the Red Sox, Celtics and Bruins. It's fun to live in a locale where there is always someone to cheer for.
Editor's note : If you wear a wig, be sure your wig stays on your head and not in your hat when performing said feat.