Author Topic: Horse Collar Tackle rule- question?  (Read 1338 times)

Offline HLinNC

• FAN REACTION: +63/-12
Horse Collar Tackle rule- question?
« on: February 12, 2014, 10:56:52 AM »
I am presently reviewing Hudl game video for training and review this summer.  A recent play I reviewed has me wondering about the horse collar tackle and if the rule should be modified.  In the clip I just watched, A runs a reverse sweep.  The runner is brought down behind the LOS by the DE (which was pretty admirable considering he got held, TWICE).  R flagged the hold, BTW.

The DE grabbed the jersey below the neck near the top of the shoulders and pulled him backwards, which is what the HCT foul was allegedly created for.  It was not an HCT foul by rule as the hand didn't enter the collar of the jersey or the shoulder pads.

This same team lost their starting QB later in the season to a similar tackle when his leg was broken.  The crew told us in our meeting the week after that the coach had argued vehemently for an HCT but it did not meet the definitionso it was not flagged.

I wonder if there has been any push by coaches or medical professionals to revise the HCT definition or will we perhaps see that in the future?

Offline AlUpstateNY

• FAN REACTION: +253/-477
Re: Horse Collar Tackle rule- question?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2014, 11:29:42 AM »
Any law, any rule has to have a specific definition to be fairly applied.  A driver can't, and shouldn't, be fined for going 5 miles UNDER the speed limit, because it was a really windy night and the officer "felt" the speed limit was too high for that night.

The rules makers FORMULATE the details, Officials only EXECUTE what's been created.  There is a borderline built into EVERY rule (or law).  It's a fine line, of which one side is in sunlight and the other side is pitch black.  Sometimes we get to decide if a little bit of sunlight bleeds through to the dak side, but that's an individual perspective.

Coaches should direct their suggestions to Rules Makers, if they agree and make changes, we'll adjust.

Offline Atlanta Blue

• FAN REACTION: +160/-71
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2014, 02:16:07 PM »
I wonder if there has been any push by coaches or medical professionals to revise the HCT definition or will we perhaps see that in the future?
In short, no.  What you're describing is a freak accident.  Grabbing the jersey without grabbing inside the collar doesn't give you near the leverage you get by grabbing the collar.  And a jersey should be tight enough across the shoulders to make a one handed grab as the runner goes by almost impossible.

Grabbing the collar of the jersey or the shoulder pad gives you great leverage to pull a runner backward.  Grabbing a handful of jersey without that "handle" doesn't.  Injuries are going to happen in football, this is just one of them.  We can't prevent all injuries.

Good job by the crew for NOT throwing a flag on something that LOOKS like a foul, but isn't.

Online stevegarbs

• FAN REACTION: +3/-2
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2014, 03:14:58 PM »
Any law, any rule has to have a specific definition to be fairly applied.  A driver can't, and shouldn't, be fined for going 5 miles UNDER the speed limit, because it was a really windy night and the officer "felt" the speed limit was too high for that night.

I recall being taught in Driver's Ed that you can indeed be ticketed for driving too fast even if you are traveling slower than the speed limit- the police can cite you for driving too fast for conditions.

Completely irrelevant to this rule discussion, however. P_S

Offline AlUpstateNY

• FAN REACTION: +253/-477
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2014, 06:20:22 PM »
Steve the analogy about driving, had nothing to do about traffic laws.