Author Topic: Please don't ask.........  (Read 19588 times)

Offline Curious

• FAN REACTION: +28/-44
Re: Please don't ask.........
« Reply #50 on: February 09, 2014, 08:49:31 AM »
I'll be going on the DL for a bit as tommorrow morning I get a new hip -hip,hip,hooray!

Anybody hear how Ralph's surgery went?  Ralph, if you're "back", did you buy a new computer yet?  Surgery is no excuse for being "disconnected". sNiCkErS

Offline bkdow

• FAN REACTION: +9/-3
  • Striving for the impossible level of perfection
« Reply #51 on: February 10, 2014, 11:01:43 AM »
I sent him a personal message last week but he has not responded yet.
"Don't let perfection get in the way of really good." John Lucivansky

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +312/-27
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #52 on: February 11, 2014, 12:31:43 PM »
....Yo,guys - back with a new hip but no new rules yet. I'll be sure to keep you all up to date as soon as I get notice that they are about to be posted. Thanks to all for your well wishes and I wish that I had this done many years ago. - Ralph

Offline Rulesman

• The Keeper of the Keys
  • Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +323/-243
  • Live like tomorrow never comes.
« Reply #53 on: February 11, 2014, 12:36:36 PM »
....Yo,guys - back with a new hip but no new rules yet. I'll be sure to keep you all up to date as soon as I get notice that they are about to be posted. Thanks to all for your well wishes and I wish that I had this done many years ago. - Ralph
I'm sure you are not running 40s yet, but DO YOUR P.T!!!
"Gentlemen, we are going to relentlessly chase perfection, knowing full well we will not catch it, because nothing is perfect. But we are going to relentlessly chase it, because in the process we will catch excellence. I am not remotely interested in just being good."
- Vince Lombardi

Offline Tom.OH

• FAN REACTION: +4/-0
« Reply #54 on: February 11, 2014, 12:58:22 PM »

Glad to hear you are doing well. My wife has had both knees replaced, and I agree with Rulesman do your PT.
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. And inside of a dog, it's to dark to read."
Groucho Marx

Offline bama_stripes

• FAN REACTION: +70/-25
« Reply #55 on: February 11, 2014, 01:12:40 PM »
Best wishes for a speedy recovery -- and -- DO YOUR PT!!

Offline Atlanta Blue

• FAN REACTION: +160/-71
« Reply #56 on: February 11, 2014, 01:45:11 PM »
Glad to hear you think it was a great thing to do.  Makes it sound like you are a lot more comfortable.  I'm looking at having at least one knee done.  Success stories make me feel better about the possibility.

And having had 5 previous knee surgeries, I strongly agree with the others regarding PT!

Offline Rulesman

• The Keeper of the Keys
  • Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +323/-243
  • Live like tomorrow never comes.
« Reply #57 on: February 11, 2014, 02:16:48 PM »
Just remember they don't call them Physical Terrorists for nothing.  LOL
"Gentlemen, we are going to relentlessly chase perfection, knowing full well we will not catch it, because nothing is perfect. But we are going to relentlessly chase it, because in the process we will catch excellence. I am not remotely interested in just being good."
- Vince Lombardi

Offline Ralph Damren

« Reply #58 on: February 11, 2014, 02:26:00 PM »
Glad to hear you think it was a great thing to do.  Makes it sound like you are a lot more comfortable.  I'm looking at having at least one knee done.  Success stories make me feel better about the possibility.

And having had 5 previous knee surgeries, I strongly agree with the others regarding PT!
My doctor stated that the transisson from the very poor condition of my old hip to my new one would be easy... he was right.

Offline stevestod

• FAN REACTION: +8/-2
« Reply #59 on: February 11, 2014, 02:56:33 PM »
Glad you are back and feeling great, what they can now with your body is unbelievable.

Offline jg-me

• FAN REACTION: +22/-4
« Reply #60 on: February 11, 2014, 03:23:09 PM »
Now that you're a man of steel (or titanium or some cobalt/chromium alloy), will you be changing your mind and vote in favor of the ball staying alive on PAT's when B gains possession? Lol... Glad all went well and hope this means you can stay on the field a bit longer than otherwise possible.
Best to you,
Jeff

Offline Ralph Damren

« Reply #61 on: February 12, 2014, 08:33:14 AM »
Now that you're a man of steel (or titanium or some cobalt/chromium alloy), will you be changing your mind and vote in favor of the ball staying alive on PAT's when B gains possession? Lol... Glad all went well and hope this means you can stay on the field a bit longer than otherwise possible.
Best to you,
Jeff
Thanks, Jeff- As I recall, I voted negative on the live ball PAT prior to the beginning of my hip demise. Oregon had ran it as an experimental rule for a couple of years and played a video of a blocked PAT kick being returned for two by a team down by 30 and the excitement ;D ;D ;D on their sidelines. The excitement was nice but my attention was on the poor ole' white hat on his 90 yard journey ,to then be repeated for the ensuing kickoff. :'( :o :( .My mind was made up :). Give my regards to Kim - Thanks for all the support & suggestions over the years. -  tiphat: Ralph

Offline AlUpstateNY

• FAN REACTION: +255/-485
« Reply #62 on: February 12, 2014, 11:37:42 AM »

Just a suggestion, rehab from a knee replacement can be SOOOO much more comfortable, as well as effective, if you have access to a pool.  You can do so much more movement of the knee by running, back and forth, in the low end, than you may ever be able to do on land.

Offline HLinNC

• FAN REACTION: +63/-12
« Reply #63 on: February 12, 2014, 12:51:45 PM »
The forthcoming definition of a Maine pool should be entertaining........... LOL.  I project a pond, with bass.

oh yeah, Ralph, if you haven't heard by now, DO YOUR P.T.!

younggun

« Reply #64 on: February 13, 2014, 07:24:29 AM »
THE NEW RULES ARE OUT!!!!

In an effort to reduce contact above the shoulders and lessen the risk of injury in high school football, the National Federation of State High School Associations (NFHS) Football Rules Committee developed a definition for “targeting,” which will be penalized as illegal personal contact.

The definition of targeting and its related penalty were two of 10 rules changes approved by the rules committee at its January 24-26 meeting in Indianapolis. All rules changes were subsequently approved by the NFHS Board of Directors.

Effective with the 2014 high school season, new Rule 2-43 will read as follows: “Targeting is an act of taking aim and initiating contact to an opponent above the shoulders with the helmet, forearm, hand, fist, elbow or shoulders.”

Bob Colgate, NFHS director of sports and sports medicine and liaison to the Football Rules Committee, said the committee determined – in its continued effort to minimize risk of injury in high school football – that it was important to separate and draw specific attention to this illegal act.

“Taking aim with the helmet, forearm, hand, fist, elbow or shoulders to initiate contact above the shoulders, which goes beyond making a legal tackle, a legal block or playing the ball, will be prohibited,” Colgate said.

A new definition for a “defenseless player” was also added to Rule 2 for risk-minimization purposes. Rule 2-32-16 will read as follows: “A defenseless player is a player who, because of his physical position and focus of concentration, is especially vulnerable to injury.”

In an effort to reduce the risk of injury on kickoffs, the rules committee approved two new requirements in Rule 6-1-3 for the kicking team. First, at least four members of the kicking team must be on each side of the kicker, and, second, other than the kicker, no members of the kicking team may be more than five yards behind the kicking team’s free-kick line.

Rule 6-1-3 also notes that if one player is more than five yards behind the restraining line and any other player kicks the ball, it is a foul. In addition to balancing the kicking team’s formation, the change limits the maximum distance of the run-up for the kicking team.

“The Football Rules Committee’s actions this year reinforce a continued emphasis on minimizing risk within all phases of the game,” said Brad Garrett, assistant executive director of the Oregon School Activities Association and chair of the Football Rules Committee.

In other changes, new language was added to Rule 8-5-1 and states that “the accidental touching of a loose ball by a player who was blocked into the ball is ignored and does not constitute a new force.” In addition, roughing the passer fouls now include all illegal personal contact fouls listed in Rule 9-4-3, which result in automatic first down in addition to a 15-yard penalty.

The remaining changes approved by the Football Rules Committee are as follows:

Rule 1-1-7: Provides state associations authority to require game officials to be on the field more than 30 minutes prior to game time.

Rule 2-24-9: The intent of an illegal kick was clarified. Now, when an illegal kick occurs, the loose ball retains the same status that it had prior to the illegal kick.

Rules 3-3-3 and 3-3-4: With this change, in order to extend or not extend a period with an untimed down, time must expire during the down.

Football is the No. 1 participatory sport for boys at the high school level with 1,115,208 participants in the 2012-13 school year, according to the High School Athletics Participation Survey conducted by the NFHS through its member state associations. In addition, the survey indicated there were 1,660 girls who played football in 2012-13.

younggun

« Reply #65 on: February 13, 2014, 08:30:37 AM »
Ralph: What does this mean "...In addition, roughing the passer fouls now include all illegal personal contact fouls listed in Rule 9-4-3, which result in automatic first down in addition to a 15-yard penalty."

I think this sentence is worded badly. Is this to say that all PFs will have a automatic first down now?

Offline Atlanta Blue

• FAN REACTION: +160/-71
« Reply #66 on: February 13, 2014, 10:19:42 AM »
Ralph: What does this mean "...In addition, roughing the passer fouls now include all illegal personal contact fouls listed in Rule 9-4-3, which result in automatic first down in addition to a 15-yard penalty."

I think this sentence is worded badly. Is this to say that all PFs will have a automatic first down now?
I'm not Ralph, but no.  Previously, there were PF against a passer that were not RTP, although that didn't keep most officials from calling them RTP anyway.  Now, all PF against a passer are RTP, which carries an AFD.

younggun

« Reply #67 on: February 13, 2014, 10:30:46 AM »
Ok, that is what I kinda thought, but the wording was just bad I think.

on that note....

I have a hard time understanding the NFHS mindset. We give auto first downs for QBs, holders, long snappers, and kickers because they are 'defenseless'. Even though that wording has never been used we all know that is why they had the auto first down applied to their fouls. Why do they continue not to apply it to helmet fouls, like the three in the past and addition to the new targeting foul for this year. Just does not make sense to me. If you dont want to give it on all PFs I get that, but at least make all defenseless players equal.

Offline AlUpstateNY

• FAN REACTION: +255/-485
« Reply #68 on: February 13, 2014, 07:22:25 PM »
There's no rule in football, or life for that matter, that ALL things that are similar absolutely must be treated exactly alike.