Author Topic: Cowboys/Redskins  (Read 2596 times)

TxCoach

Cowboys/Redskins
« on: October 28, 2014, 02:14:29 PM »
Cowboys defender makes an interception in his own endzone, is not touched by opposing team.  Player stands up with the ball and is tackled by a Redskin.  During the tackle, the ball is dislodged and squirts out of the back of the endzone.

The officials gave the ball to Dallas on the 20.  At the time I thought it should have been a safety, as the Cowboy fumbled the ball out of the back of his own endzone.  Was it a touchback because he didn't gain possession outside of the endzone?  If the same play had happened on the two yard line and the Dallas player got up and the ball still got knocked through the endzone, would that be a safety?

Thanks for any thoughts.  I got out of coaching several years ago but I still visit these boards from time to time for the insight.  I appreciate what you guys do.

Offline riffraft

• FAN REACTION: +18/-19
Re: Cowboys/Redskins
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2014, 02:52:03 PM »
The Redskins supplied the force that put the ball into the endzone. Since the force was not supplied by the Cowboys this works just like as if he had taken a knee after the interception - Touchback. Now if he had intercepted it say on the 5 yard line and ran back into the end zone and then fumbled it out of the end zone it would have been a safety.

TxCoach

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2014, 05:56:11 PM »
Thanks.  I figured it was similar to taking a knee but had never seen that happen and I've never heard it phrased like that. 

Offline goodgrr

• Roger Goodgroves
  • FAN REACTION: +13/-12
  • We are always learning
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2014, 11:49:00 AM »
If you See Dean Blandino on Official Review he's likely to use the term impetus i.e. the force that made the ball get where it was.