Author Topic: The things that coaches say...  (Read 23176 times)

Offline SCHSref

• FAN REACTION: +15/-10
  • In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king
The things that coaches say...
« on: October 15, 2014, 03:21:27 PM »
Had a double header last week and the home team kicked off after a TD and extra point attempt.  The ball went out of bounds and of course, the flag was tossed  ^flag 

An assistant coach, who looked just like Luther Campbell (ok...you need to know who Luther Campbell is to appreciate this) runs over to me and says, "What can we do, we have options right?"  I said, "When the ball is kicked OOB on a kickoff, there are three options" and I gave them to him.

He then said, "well, that's good, we want to ball where it is."  I looked at him and said, "That would be a good idea, if you were the receiving team."  He gave a surprised look and walked away.
If you didn't see it, you can't call it

Offline goodgrr

• Roger Goodgroves
  • FAN REACTION: +13/-12
  • We are always learning
Re: The things that coaches say...
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2014, 04:03:55 PM »
That made me smile  :bOW

Offline Rulesman

• Past Keeper of the Keys
  • Refstripes Hero
  • FAN REACTION: +65535/-2
  • Live like tomorrow never comes.
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2014, 04:19:02 PM »
You got to give the guy credit for trying. Some will say and do anything if they think they can snooker the official.
"Gentlemen, we are going to relentlessly chase perfection, knowing full well we will not catch it, because nothing is perfect. But we are going to relentlessly chase it, because in the process we will catch excellence. I am not remotely interested in just being good."
- Vince Lombardi

Offline bama_stripes

• FAN REACTION: +115/-27
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2014, 07:35:01 AM »
An assistant coach, who looked just like Luther Campbell [snip]

Actually had "Uncle Luke" on my sideline during a 7-on-7 game a couple of years ago.  Had a helluva time keeping him off the field.

shooter1

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2014, 02:30:48 PM »
Still love the head coach from a couple of weeks ago--illegal participation call--his question was "who was the illegaliy participating player?"  Trying not to smile, I said, "coach I'm not sure. It was one of those 12 players."  He realized his stumbling comment and actually walked away smiling--funny.

Offline sir55

• FAN REACTION: +12/-5
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2014, 12:36:01 PM »
Friday night game, after I throw the flag for intentional grounding, coach calls timeout for conference.  I go to the bench and ask the coach what he wanted to discuss.  He told me that "there was no way that was a penalty, that the QB was just dumping the ball so he wouldn't get tackled."  Not much to say after that.

Offline SCHSref

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2014, 12:03:21 PM »
During the 3rd quarter, one of the assistant coaches of the losing team walks over to me and says, "Do you know what it feels like when you've got a bunch of people screaming at you from the stands, telling you what to do, especially when they don't know anything about football?"

I'm thinking: Did I really just get asked THIS question with a chance to respond?

Offline Wingmanbp

• FAN REACTION: +5/-7
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2014, 12:35:47 PM »
I had a varsity coach tell me one time. " I guess I just don't understand these high school rules"

Offline SCHSref

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2014, 12:39:22 PM »
I had a varsity coach tell me one time. " I guess I just don't understand these high school rules"

Hey...at least you had one admit that

Offline Wingmanbp

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2014, 12:59:54 PM »
Hey...at least you had one admit that
LOL

Jim D.

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2014, 02:34:42 PM »
The coaches have to attend a mandatory rules meeting in Missouri (it doesn't seem to help).  We had one coach the first week of the season.  He got flagged for something new (kick off maybe?), and when it was explained to him he said "I don't have to do it yet - I still have until next week to attend the rules meeting".

You gotta love a mind that thinks like that!

UMP27

« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2014, 03:25:01 PM »
I had a MS game. Offence is running out the clock and Defence is out of time outs. Coach come up to me and asks "is there any way I could get another time out. We really need one". I whip around and let him know the have 6 time outs per half to use, we just assume to split them evenly. If you want to ask the other team for one of their time out I'm fine with that.

The look on his face was priceless. OMG YOU CAN DO THAT! After a few minutes he realized I was messing with him. It was very funny.

Offline bbeagle

• FAN REACTION: +14/-52
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2014, 07:09:29 AM »
Had this one last night:

Coach to LJ: C'mon ref! There are fouls all over the place, you can throw that flag!
Coach to LJ: You have a flag in your pocket. I see it right there. It's getting rusty!
Coach to LJ: C'mon make the game fair. These are CHILDREN out here. CHILDREN!
Coach to LJ: You just don't have the BALLS to throw a flag!

Well, the LJ then threw the flag on the coach .

Offline Rulesman

• Refstripes Hero
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2014, 07:48:30 AM »
Good one, but the flag was one comment too late.
"Gentlemen, we are going to relentlessly chase perfection, knowing full well we will not catch it, because nothing is perfect. But we are going to relentlessly chase it, because in the process we will catch excellence. I am not remotely interested in just being good."
- Vince Lombardi

Offline Wingmanbp

« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2014, 08:02:33 AM »
I had a coach at the beginning of a jv game( 2nd game of the night) start to walk out on the field during the live ball and I told him to back up and he said and I quote. "Well if yall would do a better job of calling penalties I would stay off the field" Of course my immediate reaction was ^flag. Then the head coach asks me what was that for and the assistant coach said Its my fault. LOL I have a high tolerance with coaches because I know what they have to deal with but I don't tolerate personal remarks about me or the crew in general.

NJOfficial

« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2014, 08:13:41 AM »
My biggest problem this year has been coaches understanding of the restricted area.  This has been a point of emphasis this year in our chapter and I know that our chapter has stressed this with the coaches, but for most of my games when I tell the coach that during the play they can't be in the restricted area they are surprised and are under the impression they are allowed to be in the restricted area during the play.

Offline CalhounLJ

• FAN REACTION: +134/-1004
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2014, 11:07:33 AM »
Yep. We had a coach ejected from a game is our region because he kept arguing that the restricted area was his and he could do what he wanted when he wanted, no matter if ball was live or dead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline CalhounLJ

• FAN REACTION: +134/-1004
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2014, 11:08:50 AM »
When he threatened to call the state office and get the crew "in trouble" they ejected him

Offline SCHSref

« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2014, 11:43:55 AM »
Yep. We had a coach ejected from a game is our region because he kept arguing that the restricted area was his and he could do what he wanted when he wanted, no matter if ball was live or dead.

I always ask the head coach who the "Get Back" coach is.  Then I go over the rules very quickly and in a simple fashion

"Coach, you can have no more than 3 before the snap in the box, but at the snap, this box is mine."  When I explain it like that, I don't have any problems.

Offline SCHSref

« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2014, 11:51:40 AM »
Coach started screaming at me last year for a flag for horsecollar tackle.  A was running and B yanked the collar from behind, but let go and A kept running a few yards longer before he was actually brought down.  Head Coach and all the little mini-me's starting screaming for horsecollar.  I told the coach no.  He said, "He grabbed his collar from the back."  I said, "Yes, but I can't throw the flag." 

"Why not?"

"Because it wasn't a tackle."

"But he grabbed his collar."

"Coach, I can't throw a flag for a horsecollar tackle if there was no tackle."

*crickets*

Offline VALJ

• FAN REACTION: +90/-14
« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2014, 12:40:55 PM »
"He grabbed his collar from the back."  I said, "Yes, but I can't throw the flag." 

"Why not?"

"Because it wasn't a tackle."

"But he grabbed his collar."

"Coach, I can't throw a flag for a horsecollar tackle if there was no tackle."

*crickets*

I've used that exact same line in that exact same situation.   yEs:

Offline bbeagle

• FAN REACTION: +14/-52
« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2014, 01:44:23 PM »
Also in last night's game:

Late in the game, critical play, long pass down my sideline, same sideline as the defensive coach.... (defensive coach was heated entire game, incensed that we were out to get his team)

The offensive player shoves the defensive player, pass goes incomplete off the defensive player's arms. I throw a flag. The defensive coach is going ballistic... 'How can you call that? It's not even close!'

As I run by the coach to report to the white hat: 'Coach, that was OFFENSIVE pass interference'

Coach yells triumphantly: 'I love you.' :)

Offline SCHSref

« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2014, 01:53:07 PM »
Also in last night's game:

Late in the game, critical play, long pass down my sideline, same sideline as the defensive coach.... (defensive coach was heated entire game, incensed that we were out to get his team)

The offensive player shoves the defensive player, pass goes incomplete off the defensive player's arms. I throw a flag. The defensive coach is going ballistic... 'How can you call that? It's not even close!'

As I run by the coach to report to the white hat: 'Coach, that was OFFENSIVE pass interference'

Coach yells triumphantly: 'I love you.' :)

LOL tiphat:

Offline Atlanta Blue

• FAN REACTION: +160/-71
« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2014, 02:21:02 PM »
"Coach, you can have no more than 3 before the snap in the box, but at the snap, this box is mine."  When I explain it like that, I don't have any problems.
If the box is clear before every snap, do you really care how many are in there during the dead ball?

Offline Rulesman

• Refstripes Hero
« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2014, 02:26:49 PM »
If the box is clear before every snap, do you really care how many are in there during the dead ball?
Possibly because 9-8-3 says "... A maximum of three coaches may be in the restricted area..."  Are you advocating officials should ignore the rule?  ;)
- Vince Lombardi