Author Topic: Football Game Officials Manual  (Read 25780 times)

Offline AlUpstateNY

• FAN REACTION: +341/-919
Re: Football Game Officials Manual
« Reply #50 on: August 01, 2016, 10:11:38 AM »
Perhaps, just explaining that "winding the clock" is often construed as a manner of "Chopping it in", either of which should be accompanied by a sharp whistle.

Offline sir55

• FAN REACTION: +12/-5
« Reply #51 on: August 01, 2016, 11:08:25 AM »
We use officials to run the game clock and the 25 second clock. However, those officials are young, usually 1st or 2nd year officials. When to start and stop the clock can be confusing for inexperienced officials. I think the mechanic is a good one and prevents clock issues of when to start the clock, whether on the ready or on the snap.

Offline KWH

• FAN REACTION: +633/-113
  • See it, Think about it, Pass on it if possible!
« Reply #52 on: August 03, 2016, 03:44:58 PM »
Perhaps, just explaining that "winding the clock" is often construed as a manner of "Chopping it in", either of which should be accompanied by a sharp whistle.

Or, you could simply teach what is correct and steer away from that which is "often construed".
Ready for Play is Signal 1, This signal marks the ball Ready for play and starts the 25 second play clock.
Start the Game Clock is Signal 2, This signal is given to indicate to the game clock operator to start the game clock.
In those situations where the game clock starts with the Ready for play signal,
the Referee shall give Signal 1 followed immediately by Signal 2 - Two different signals.
Source: 2014-2015 NFHS Officials Manual - Page 16
« Last Edit: August 03, 2016, 04:31:41 PM by KWH »
SEE everything that you CALL, but; Don't CALL everything you SEE!
Never let the Rules Book get in the way of a great ball game!

Respectfully Submitted;
Some guy on a message forum

Offline bigjohn

• FAN REACTION: +22/-36

Offline bossman72

• FAN REACTION: +301/-25
« Reply #54 on: August 16, 2016, 08:25:20 AM »
In those situations where the game clock starts with the Ready for play signal,
the Referee shall give Signal 1 followed immediately by Signal 2 - Two different signals.
Source: 2014-2015 NFHS Officials Manual - Page 16

I think this should change, IMO.  The two signals are confusing to clock operators and it just seems generally unnecessary.  One signal looks better too.

Additionally, you're technically starting the play clock and the game clock at different times.

Offline AlUpstateNY

• FAN REACTION: +341/-919
« Reply #55 on: August 16, 2016, 12:37:06 PM »
I think this should change, IMO.  The two signals are confusing to clock operators and it just seems generally unnecessary.  One signal looks better too.

Additionally, you're technically starting the play clock and the game clock at different times.

In situations where the game clock is intended to start on the "Ready for Play" signal, it would seem both clocks are intended to start simultaneously.

Offline KWH

• FAN REACTION: +633/-113
  • See it, Think about it, Pass on it if possible!
« Reply #56 on: August 16, 2016, 03:35:25 PM »

There is a process for changing mechanics and signals. You simply submit a mechanical change request the same way you submit a rule change request.  These go thru your state office first, and then, on to the Manual Committee for consideration.

There may be a better method, but for now this IS the prescribed method and it has been that way for a LONG time.
That being said, if the clock operator confusion is a major concern, it seems spending 5 minutes with the clock operators in the Pre-Game is a more productive use of time that standing around telling jokes, or hunting stories, or both.
SEE everything that you CALL, but; Don't CALL everything you SEE!
Never let the Rules Book get in the way of a great ball game!

Respectfully Submitted;
Some guy on a message forum

Offline Rulesman

• Past Keeper of the Keys
  • Refstripes Hero
  • FAN REACTION: +65535/-2
  • Live like tomorrow never comes.
« Reply #57 on: August 16, 2016, 04:27:07 PM »
Just because "we've always done it that way" doesn't mean that's the right way. Doesn't mean it's the wrong way, either. But I would like to see sub committees become more pro active in looking at the big picture rather than always placing the burden for change on the masses.
"Gentlemen, we are going to relentlessly chase perfection, knowing full well we will not catch it, because nothing is perfect. But we are going to relentlessly chase it, because in the process we will catch excellence. I am not remotely interested in just being good."
- Vince Lombardi

Offline CalhounLJ

• FAN REACTION: +134/-1004
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #58 on: August 20, 2016, 07:46:21 PM »
For several years now, I have had "Free Kick After A Fair Catch" on my bucket list.  I had never given "Intentional Pass Interference" any serious consideration for that list.  However, maybe  IPI could be a fall back bucket list item.  Bucket list because I am reasonably certain that I would not be assigned many  more games after an IPI call, regardless of my knowledge of the rules and command of the English language.

We had a free kick after a fair catch back in 1997. Punt from about the A10, to the A40. Fair catch. Kicker trotted out, teed it up and kicked it through to win the game. 31-28.