Author Topic: Didnt make the Cut...........yet.  (Read 3159 times)

Offline Navcom

• FAN REACTION: +3/-0
  • The Action is the Juice...............I'm in.
Didnt make the Cut...........yet.
« on: May 06, 2018, 12:53:30 PM »
Hello everyone, I want to thank everyone who gave me good advice and helped me through the rules questions. You are all true gentlemen and ladies if you responded. Unfortunately, I did not make it into the local college officiating chapter. I guess my interview wasn't impressive enough. However, there is some light at the end of the tunnel, I was recently called to do 2 spring games. I found that to be a bit weird since i didn't make it in. I guess they wanted to see if I had given up on the prospect of officiating college level games. any thoughts?

SRM

Online ElvisLives

• FAN REACTION: +161/-143
  • The rules are there if you need them.
Re: Didnt make the Cut...........yet.
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2018, 01:15:42 PM »
Be patient and persistent.  Keep studying, working every opportunity you can, and keep a positive attitude.  This is still no guarantee, but NOT doing those things is a guarantee that you won't make it.

Robert

Offline Sonofanump

• FAN REACTION: +8/-3
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2018, 05:49:31 PM »
This sounds much different that what we do in our area.  We attend rules study meetings, work JV games, go to clinics, then apply to conferences.  We have a state "association" that requires passing a rules test to be a member of, but we allow non-members to attend our meetings to listen and learn and find JV games to work.  Don't even need to be a member of our state associate to work NCAA, but it is suggested.

Offline ljudge

• FAN REACTION: +19/-2
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2018, 06:55:35 PM »
I'm curious as to what your experience is at the federation level.  How many years, total games, and average number of games do you have in each of those years?  Also, do you have college officials who belong to the chapter you are applying for who are also members in your local high school chapter? 

When I got into college we had to have at least 5 years of varsity experience, a minimum of 25 games, and in each of those 5 years you had to have at least 5 games.  In other words, they didn't want you to have 2 games in year one, 4 in year two, 7 in year three, 8 in year four and 10 in year 5.  (even 31 games in this case wouldn't make the 25-game requirement because of years one and 2 not having enough games in those years).

We also had to have 2 college-level officials write letters on your behalf, 2 varsity coaches who I worked games for (NOT easy), and one letter from your chapter president.   

Offline Navcom

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2018, 03:04:43 PM »
The requirements were, 30 varsity games 1 playoff game, (min), 5 years, 2 letters of rec and attend college rules academy (chapter academy)
There were only 4 guys from my association who applied 2 from out of state. I did work 2 college level scrimmages, a DII game and a DIII game. both went well. However i was told that even that you didn't get into the chapter, you can still get called to work the clock, or fill in at a game or two. I'm hoping it wasn't my age, (48) but I'm physically fit and can basically keep up with some of the players. I was invited to the meetings that begin next month, so lets see what happens.

Offline Magician

• FAN REACTION: +257/-8
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2018, 07:46:38 AM »
Spring scrimmages can be harder to fill than regular season games. There is only one team involved so theoretically there could be twice as many scrimmages on a Spring Saturday than games on a Fall Saturday. That's not entirely true because not every team scrimmages every Saturday. Then factor in the fact not all officials work Spring due to work, family, other sports, or personal preference. It's not unusual for applicants to get Spring scrimmages. It may or may not mean anything you got 2, but it would likely mean someone thinks you at least deserve a chance.

As for getting in, there is no secret formula. Every situation is different and it's not always fair. Control what you can control and make yourself available. Be professional in all interactions with decision makers and influencers. Be open to criticism and feedback. Be available when assigners call. Know the rules and mechanics. It takes both luck and timing to get hired. Good luck!

Offline clearwall

• FAN REACTION: +14/-13
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2018, 10:35:48 AM »
One of my mentor's quotes about moving up is just "don't disqualify yourself" every time you step on the field. And I think that's a good piece of advice. If you're out there trying to show how great you  are and how fast you can be and how technical you can call, that's the wrong mindset. Just call football the way you always do and dont do anything that makes you stand out negatively.

Offline Navcom

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2018, 12:59:37 PM »
I appreciate the encouragement. I'm not going to give up. My rules instructors at the chapter academy were very good. They are engaging in the off season as well. They even had some NFL official come for two weeks. I will try again next year, maybe I will have better luck. He said the same thing" control what you can control"

Offline Archie

• FAN REACTION: +6/-4
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2018, 03:26:55 PM »
I'm not sure of the process Navcom describes for getting "accepted" into a college chapter, but officials often get "hired" to work in collegiate conferences at or as a result of attendance at one or more of the several camps...El Paso, Tom Beard, Harold Mitchell....etc.