Author Topic: Tgt Reversal  (Read 5693 times)

Offline RedTD

• FAN REACTION: +5/-2
Tgt Reversal
« on: December 21, 2017, 11:01:24 AM »
Boca Bowl. Targeting call on field with PF late hit. Was reversed to no targeting but a late hit PF stayed. Correct? Had to keep the file size small so couldn't get the entire play.

Offline bossman72

• FAN REACTION: +301/-25
Re: Tgt Reversal
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2017, 01:54:10 PM »
Could you possibly upload the file to Youtube or Google Drive and share it?  Kind of need to see the whole play.

Offline RedTD

• FAN REACTION: +5/-2

Offline clearwall

• FAN REACTION: +14/-13
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2017, 06:16:22 PM »
Looks like the correct call to me. Ouch, but definitely unnecessary. Shoulder to the chest, clean hit other than it was so late

Offline Sumstine

• FAN REACTION: +70/-10
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2017, 09:41:29 PM »
Deliberate hit on a defenseless player, helmet to helmet hit causing his head to spin with the forceful contact with the helmet cage. Also an upward thrust.

Offline Sonofanump

• FAN REACTION: +8/-3
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2017, 10:59:56 PM »
helmet to helmet

It does not appear so from the angle shown

Offline DallasLJ

• FAN REACTION: +16/-15
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2017, 11:51:10 PM »
Not even close to helmet to helmet.  I think UNR as opposed to UNS here.

Offline Sumstine

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2017, 12:52:08 AM »

Offline Magician

• FAN REACTION: +257/-8
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2017, 01:27:28 AM »
I think the helmet contact was glancing to the facemask with the forceful contact being mostly with the shoulder to the chest. But this hit is exactly the kind of hit the targeting rule (and now the BSB foul in NFHS) is trying to eliminate. While this may not have been targeting I think it's flagrant enough and involves enough of the helmet I would have no problem with this player being ejected. And I'm slow to eject. If he didn't target he sure tried to!

Offline NVFOA_Ump

• FAN REACTION: +99/-283
  • High School (MA & RI)
    • Massachusetts Independent Football Officials Association
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2017, 06:08:18 AM »
Could have gone either way on the targeting, but given the NCAA video clips we've seen this year I would have expected that this would be targeting.  Late blindside hit, shoulders or above.  IMHO this one reads player safety loud and clear.
It's easy to get the players, getting 'em to play together, that's the hard part. - Casey Stengel

Offline bossman72

• FAN REACTION: +301/-25
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2017, 07:58:56 AM »
First TV replay shows it best.  Very very surprised they overturned this.

Offline Dakota Dan

• FAN REACTION: +9/-1
  • ΦΑ ΣAE SD Theta
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2017, 08:31:41 AM »
The DB chooses not to lower his strike zone... this is a TGT.

Offline TxSkyBolt

• FAN REACTION: +45/-46
Tgt Reversal
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2017, 09:20:16 AM »
Clearly targeting a defenseless player. Very surprised at the RO reversal. So was his supervisor, Steve Shaw.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline ElvisLives

• FAN REACTION: +161/-143
  • The rules are there if you need them.
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2017, 10:13:12 AM »
Let's not be critical of judgments related to targeting.  There is no question (in my mind, anyway), that targeting is the most controversial rule that we've ever had.  Way worse than blocking below the waist, replay (in general), and uniforms.  I've never seen a rule that had this much misunderstanding and/or disagreement as to the meaning, intent, interpretation, and application of said rule.  We have all seen plays that we'd swear on our mother's grave was targeting, that were either not called, changed by the RO, or determined to be incorrect by the powers that be. And vice versa.  It is a mess.  They've simply got to fix this.  I don't know how.  But they've got to fix this.
The easiest fix is to remove the automatic DQ.  Let a committee review all Targeting calls, and let them rule on whether or not to DQ the guy for his next game.

Its a mess.

Robert

Offline ump_ben

• FAN REACTION: +2/-0
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2017, 03:28:32 PM »
Suppose you decide you're tossing him for the hit, regardless of whether it's targeting.  How does the WH make that announcement and does it obviate the need for replay?

Offline TxBJ

• FAN REACTION: +9/-6
Tgt Reversal
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2017, 03:50:58 PM »
Suppose you decide you're tossing him for the hit, regardless of whether it's targeting.  How does the WH make that announcement and does it obviate the need for replay?
That would mean you are ruling a flagrant personal foul so announce it as such and that by rule the player is disqualified for the remainder of the game. Replay would not be involved.

Offline Sumstine

« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2017, 05:40:22 PM »
That would mean you are ruling a flagrant personal foul so announce it as such and that by rule the player is disqualified for the remainder of the game. Replay would not be involved.

Replay would still be involved to determine if TGT was there if the foul happens in the second half due to the next game implications.

Offline TxBJ

• FAN REACTION: +9/-6
Tgt Reversal
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2017, 07:40:12 PM »
Replay would still be involved to determine if TGT was there if the foul happens in the second half due to the next game implications.
Great point!

Offline Aussie-Zebra

• Australian Gridiron Officials Association
    • Gridironwest
For every coach that thinks we got it wrong there's another that thinks we got it right.

Offline Aussie-Zebra

• Australian Gridiron Officials Association
    • Gridironwest
For every coach that thinks we got it wrong there's another that thinks we got it right.