Author Topic: From the mouths of Coaches 2016  (Read 10015 times)

Offline JasonTX

• FAN REACTION: +112/-58
From the mouths of Coaches 2016
« on: September 10, 2016, 09:55:31 AM »
Until yesterday I thought I have heard it all.  With under a minute to go in the game the home team is on defense and has a 16 point lead.  One of their players gets a cramp but doesn't go to the ground.  I asked him several times if he was ok to keep playing and said he was fine.  He was stretching it out while the offense huddled.  Well, his team calls a timeout and the coaches were upset for me not calling an injury timeout.

Coach:  "Why didn't you call and officials timeout for injury?"
Me:  "I asked him several times if he needed to come out and he told me he was fine"
Coach: "Well, you have to think about players safety."
Me:  "I did coach, I kept asking him if he was fine and he assured me he was good."
Coach: "Well, he can't think on his own, he has a concussion."
Me: "Coach, let me make sure I understand correctly, your getting onto me about players safety over a cramp and you are playing a kid with a concussion?"
Coach:  "Well we don't have anybody else to take his spot."

The kid did not come back in after that and I had a conversation with the administrator over this conversation.

Offline The Roamin' Umpire

• FAN REACTION: +30/-16
Re: From the mouths of Coaches 2016
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2016, 09:52:20 PM »
Just relayed this story to my wife, a pediatrician. Her reaction was shock and frank disbelief, and then unprintable. I'm thinking this pretty much has to be a firing-level offense or the school district is making itself an easy target for future lawsuits.

Offline Rulesman

• Past Keeper of the Keys
  • Refstripes Hero
  • FAN REACTION: +65535/-2
  • Live like tomorrow never comes.
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2016, 01:54:48 PM »
I trust this coach has retained the services of a good lawyer. He might need one.
"Gentlemen, we are going to relentlessly chase perfection, knowing full well we will not catch it, because nothing is perfect. But we are going to relentlessly chase it, because in the process we will catch excellence. I am not remotely interested in just being good."
- Vince Lombardi

Offline VALJ

• FAN REACTION: +90/-14
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2016, 09:23:23 AM »
Working side judge Friday night. I'm on B's sideline, and the umpire flags a B player for a personal foul FM on a dive play.

Coach: Be honest, Mr. Official. What did you think of that face mask penalty?
Me: Well, coach, I'm down here concentrating on the defensive backs, so I think number 8 was in great position if a pass had been thrown to this side.

Coach, after a couple of seconds to process what I said:  LOL

Offline Welpe

• FAN REACTION: +28/-11
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2016, 12:06:44 PM »
This past Friday I flagged a team for back to back chop blocks on their opening drive. The coach is losing it and at one point yells at me "Do you think maybe you could look for something else?"  I tried not to laugh.  :)

Offline JasonTX

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2016, 05:54:08 PM »
Friday night the coaches decided they would do the coin toss at 6 mins. till kickoff and then do a mock coin toss at center field with the captains.  Home coach was at the predetermined meeting spot for the toss but visiting coach was giving a last second pep talk to his team.  Home coach was tired of waiting when he finally said, "Tell him he won the coin toss, if we kick we'll defend the North side"  Well just then the other coach arrived and he repeated it.  "You won the toss, what do you want."  He deferred.  That is the first time I have ever had a game without ever doing the coin toss.

Offline RMR

• FAN REACTION: +10/-6
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2016, 12:41:35 PM »
NFHS rules. Friday night I'm working as the F and on B's sideline. I'm counting the defense and B's head coach comes screaming at me about how A just "broke the huddle with 12, how could you not flag that?"

"Well coach, I'm counting the defense here, I have no idea how many A players are on the field."

"Well, I just told you they broke the huddle with 12, so you need to flag it."

So the ball is snapped and I go about my business and of course he's all steamed.

After the play I explained the NFHS rule on subs to him and he looked at me like I had three heads and explained to me how "we get flagged for that all the time."

I still don't think he gets it.

Later on his team is K on an onside kick and one of his players touches the ball at K's 49 and then possesses it just on the other side of the 50. He thought it was his ball. He keeps pointing to the far side of the 50 telling me "THAT'S OUR BALL, HE LANDED RIGHT HERE!!!!"

"First touching coach, he touched it here."

Yeah but he didn't have possession of it until HE GOT HERE - HOW THE HELL CAN IT NOT BE OUR BALL???!!"
"Just because you don't understand it, doesn't mean it's wrong."

Offline NorCalMike

• FAN REACTION: +23/-8
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2016, 02:36:59 AM »
Tonight before the game, visiting team is in a huge huddle. One of the players is giving a pep talk. I am the U, so I just checking equipment (everyone seems to think covering the knees is optional). I am not paying attention to what is said.

I meet up with the R and we go to home team HC. The R introduces himself then I introduce myself. HC says, "Mike do you have a hearing problem?" I just looked at him. He says, "You must not hear well if you didn't flag the visitors for all that profanity." I told him that he wasn't starting out on the right foot by criticizing me before we even get the game started. I then told him if I flagged every cuss word I heard on the field we would never get the game finished.

About half way through the 3rd quarter, one of the home team players lets out a string of cuss words after he gets tackled for a loss. I run over to the HC ad say, "Coach could you please ask number 3 to watch his language. He is cussing up a storm." Then I walk away laughing.

Offline Ironhead17

• FAN REACTION: +3/-2
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2016, 09:36:21 PM »
And you didn't bust the player for it, why?

Offline InsideTheStripes

• FAN REACTION: +0/-5
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2016, 08:15:57 PM »
And you didn't bust the player for it, why?

Cause "busting" people is not our job?!

If you penalize for profanity not directed at an opponent, you won't have much of a 'career'.

Offline OHref71

• FAN REACTION: +1/-0
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2016, 11:55:13 AM »

If you penalize for profanity not directed at an opponent, you won't have much of a 'career'.

I usually stop it by asking the player where those words are in the rule book.  He will usually laugh and apologize and 99 percent of the time the cursing has stopped.  I will not flag it unless directed at an opponent or at an official.

Offline JasonTX

« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2016, 08:01:38 PM »

Around these parts, that was these kids first words at toddlers.  If momma don't mind him talkin like that, then so be it.  ;D

Offline BIG DON

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +43/-10
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2016, 11:27:13 AM »
I have been pondering on where to place this I decided to place it here in the  From the mouths of Coaches 2016.

Last Friday night I was working a 2 A non conference game. The away team traveled 4 1/2 hours by bus to get there and I am still wondering why there is a Non Conference game week 8.  Anyway I am working LJ home team has the ball and the receiver runs a out route on my side  the Qb throws the ball over the head of the receiver but while in flight the CB hits the receiver not a hard hit, so I have a flag on the ground for DPI, of course the CP is pleading his case that the ball was uncatchable I told the CB that he had been watching to much Saturday football as uncatchable was not in the Fed Rule book he was ok with that, After we marked off the penalty the Visitor head coach was ballistic called a TO and wanted a conference with the White Hat. So The White hat went to the Side line with the Lineman and had a conference with the coach. The conference lasted all of about 10 seconds  the White hat came back shaking his head with a big grin on his face.  At Half time I asked what the conference was all about and he said that the coach did not think that was a DPI I called and said that it Should have been a Personal Foul on his Kid for Hitting a Defenseless Receiver I replied are you kidding me and he said no that what we should have called  :o I have replayed that play in my head all weekend and I have tried to see it from the coaches point  the Ball was thrown a little high the hit was not viscous still shaking my head on what the coach motive was.     
do or do not there is no try

Offline mostripes

• FAN REACTION: +1/-0
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2016, 03:15:09 PM »
I had the distinct pleasure of working a game a few weeks ago during Week 8 of the regular season that pitted the Class 6 #1 ranked team vs. #3 at the time.  #3 was traveling about 4 hours from Kansas City over to St. Louis for the game and was a rematch of the State Championship game from a few years ago.  I was working as the HL and heard some of the following gems from the Visiting Team's Head Coach. (On a side note, it was a defensive battle that featured the brother of the 49ers Blaine Gabbert as one qb and the son of NFL QB Trent Green as the other QB). 

Following several flags in the same drive on the center who would get beat and turn around and grab the nose tackle by the back of the jersey.. "On #50 again? Well we only allow him 3 flags a game and you've already used those up.. so there shouldn't be any more"

Same drive.. following a successful conversion of about 3rd and 35...
"well we've already gained 150 yards during this drive.. how many more do you want us to get before we score?"
"We just converted 3rd and Kansas City hopefully we don't get out of Missouri"

And last but not least.. my favorite of the night..
Following a false start on the TE.. "False start? are you kidding me? he's allowed to shift.  It's legal.. it's in the rulebook Rule 6.1.3.. Look it up"  Which sounded great, except that Rule 6 relates to Kicking the Ball and Fair Catch.

Offline SCHSref

• FAN REACTION: +15/-10
  • In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2016, 06:09:16 PM »
I had the distinct pleasure of working a game a few weeks ago during Week 8 of the regular season that pitted the Class 6 #1 ranked team vs. #3 at the time.  #3 was traveling about 4 hours from Kansas City over to St. Louis for the game and was a rematch of the State Championship game from a few years ago.  I was working as the HL and heard some of the following gems from the Visiting Team's Head Coach. (On a side note, it was a defensive battle that featured the brother of the 49ers Blaine Gabbert as one qb and the son of NFL QB Trent Green as the other QB). 

Following several flags in the same drive on the center who would get beat and turn around and grab the nose tackle by the back of the jersey.. "On #50 again? Well we only allow him 3 flags a game and you've already used those up.. so there shouldn't be any more"

Same drive.. following a successful conversion of about 3rd and 35...
"well we've already gained 150 yards during this drive.. how many more do you want us to get before we score?"
"We just converted 3rd and Kansas City hopefully we don't get out of Missouri"

And last but not least.. my favorite of the night..
Following a false start on the TE.. "False start? are you kidding me? he's allowed to shift.  It's legal.. it's in the rulebook Rule 6.1.3.. Look it up"  Which sounded great, except that Rule 6 relates to Kicking the Ball and Fair Catch.

I'd be laughing so hard i wouldn't be able o concentrate
If you didn't see it, you can't call it

Offline yarnnelg

• FAN REACTION: +55/-37
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2016, 11:10:05 PM »
Late 4th quarter. 1:26 on the clock. Home team up by three points, visitors launch a 50 yard pass on the opposite sideline. I have receivers in my area and didn't see the other sideline. Coach behind me " Ray, did you see that?" "What coach?" "Wasn't that offensive pass interference?" "Number 80 and 82 didn't touch anyone." "Not here over there!" "I wasn't watching the, sorry." "It just dawned on me, you guys all wear glasses, you're all blind." I waited a few seconds, took a step back, "Coach, you wear glasses too!" "OMG, I'm as blind as you!"

Few more passes, clock runs out, my sideline wins, coach shakes my hand "Ray, we both need LASIK!"

Offline VALJ

• FAN REACTION: +90/-14
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2016, 07:53:21 AM »
"Coach, that was an illegal shift. You never had all eleven players set at the same time. Your running back didn't wait for the rest of the team to get set before he went in motion."

"I need to know who moved so I can correct it."

"Everyone was moving, coach. The running back didn't wait for the rest of the team to get set."

I particularly liked the "so I can correct it" bit with about 4 minutes to play in the last JV game of the season, too.