Author Topic: For NJ Officials  (Read 4577 times)

Offline J12

• FAN REACTION: +5/-4
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
For NJ Officials
« on: September 04, 2015, 03:25:09 PM »
I'm not an official -- just a rules geek, but I have a couple of questions that are perhaps different in NJ than National Federal Rules.

1) In REGULAR SEASON overtime, does a team have to go for 2 in the third overtime?

2) In REGULAR SEASON overtime, can the defense score and if so, does that end the game?

3) Is ILLEGAL FORMATION now a dead ball foul? I've always understood it to be a live ball foul because the offense can shift before the snap to make it legal. But the past 2 years, it seems that what looks to me like illegal formation gets blown dead exactly at the snap of the ball.

4) How long is halftime SUPPOSED TO BE?

Johnponz

Re: For NJ Officials
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2015, 03:34:51 PM »
1) Yes (Regular season Extra Periods is the same as Playoff only difference is if it is still tied after three in regular season it ends as a tie.  In playoffs, the game continues until there is a winner)

2) Yes and Yes

3)  Illegal formation should be a live ball foul

4) 15:00 but it can be extended to 20:00 at the home team's option for special events or anything else. Mandatory 3:00 warmup starts after halftime ends.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2015, 03:38:02 PM by Johnponz »

Offline J12

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2015, 12:33:23 AM »
        Thanks for that. I'm going to time the halftimes this year!

Offline JasonTX

• FAN REACTION: +112/-58
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2015, 04:58:08 PM »
My question back to you is, why are you not a football official?

Offline J12

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2015, 05:38:25 PM »
Thanks for saying that. In hindsight, it's probably something I should have followed through on in my younger days. It seems that every time I got to seriously thinking about it, something else come up in my life at the time.  It's a lot of fun, though, going around seeing different games every week -- 2-3 games pretty much every weekend. It's interesting to sit there as a neutral party amongst the home fans and hear how every close call went against their team.