Author Topic: Still Having Fun  (Read 4307 times)

Offline ElvisLives

• FAN REACTION: +161/-143
  • The rules are there if you need them.
Still Having Fun
« on: September 14, 2017, 02:22:11 PM »
Worked football for 41 years, then retired for 4, now back in the saddle with two games under the belt.  Having a great time.  Its a cool thing we do, even if the average Joe doesn't understand and respect it.  We keep on, because the game needs someone to maintain its integrity and dignity.  But we also do it for the camaraderie, and the sheer enjoyment of it.

At least I do.  I hope you do, too.

Robert

« Last Edit: September 14, 2017, 07:20:59 PM by ElvisLives »

Offline Etref

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +85/-28
  • " I don't make the rules coach!"
Re: Still Having Fun
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2017, 06:36:15 AM »
Totally agree
Would still be out there if it for bad knees and chaotic work schedule
" I don't make the rules coach!"

Offline TexDoc

• FAN REACTION: +98/-26
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2017, 08:53:09 AM »
After a night of a varsity coach being an absolute jerk, it makes you wonder why you're still working as you're walking off the field.  The game is not only a challenge in the way of rules, but also in how to deal with people and a myriad of personalities.  The next morning, things are always a little better.  But, it does make me realize why young guys just won't stick with it.  It isn't getting any better.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2017, 09:21:18 AM by TexDoc »

Offline Rulesman

• Past Keeper of the Keys
  • Refstripes Hero
  • FAN REACTION: +65535/-2
  • Live like tomorrow never comes.
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2017, 09:11:57 AM »
After a night of a varsity coach being an absolute jerk, it makes you wonder why you're still working as you're walking off the field.  The game is not only a challenge in the way of rules, but also in how to deal with people a myriad of personality.  The next morning, things are always a little better.  But, it does make me realize why young guys just won't stick with it.  It isn't getting any better.
All of which is why numbers are declining.
"Gentlemen, we are going to relentlessly chase perfection, knowing full well we will not catch it, because nothing is perfect. But we are going to relentlessly chase it, because in the process we will catch excellence. I am not remotely interested in just being good."
- Vince Lombardi

Offline JasonTX

• FAN REACTION: +112/-58
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2017, 12:38:45 PM »
I got accused of being a reverse homer last night.  Coach didn't understand why we went to the previous spot on an incomplete pass that had a roughing the passer foul followed up by an additional foul for the player who disagreed vehemently with the roughing I called.  The coach thought it should have been from the spot of the foul???   :!#  He has since apologized and agrees with us now and has told me that the player is being punished.  To their credit they took the player out of the game and he never returned after he got flagged.

Offline TexDoc

• FAN REACTION: +98/-26
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2017, 01:36:24 PM »
We had a coach in pregame tell us that the official on the other sideline better not listen to the coach on that other side because he's going to talk that official into holding called on his DB's.  He was very friendly about it, until the second holding call that official had against his DB's.  He called TO and proceeded to tell me this was going to happen and I had to go over and tell that official he had to stop making that call because he was just being talked into it.  The opposite side coach never said a word to the official on his sideline about it.  They were just holding the receivers like crazy.  It went down hill from there.  He caught me after halftime and lit into me again.  No wonder the newer guys don't stick around.  It was a no-win situation.  Just grin and bear it.  If you never get scratched, you're not doing it right!   ;D
« Last Edit: September 15, 2017, 02:04:39 PM by TexDoc »

Offline bctgp

• FAN REACTION: +6/-10
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2017, 09:42:45 PM »
Definitely hurts retention of newer members.  In the past few years I've seen  Varsity head coaches complaining starting to creep into the JV & 9th grade games when they come to hang out on the sidelines.  Makes for an unusual discussion when I tell the JV or 9th grade coach that he needs to control his sidelines and his "assistants" - who happen to be their bosses.

Offline ElvisLives

• FAN REACTION: +161/-143
  • The rules are there if you need them.
Re: Still Having Fun, but coaches are still, well...coaches
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2017, 10:47:59 PM »
Coaches are still coaches.
Had my third game last night.  Had late hit on a 4th down play.  Penalized B, then awarded B 1st/10.  Coach of Team A, obviously expecting to keep the ball, offered the following question:  "Since when is a late hit a dead ball foul?"

No joke.

Robert

Offline mishatx

• FAN REACTION: +28/-11
  • Free Agent
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2017, 08:55:39 AM »
Definitely hurts retention of newer members.  In the past few years I've seen  Varsity head coaches complaining starting to creep into the JV & 9th grade games when they come to hang out on the sidelines.  Makes for an unusual discussion when I tell the JV or 9th grade coach that he needs to control his sidelines and his "assistants" - who happen to be their bosses.

Most of the worst games I've ever had are when the Varsity coach decides to pay a visit to the sideline.  It's especially a nightmare at the 7th and 8th grade games.

Offline Birddog

• FAN REACTION: +2/-2
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2017, 02:08:56 PM »
Most of the worst games I've ever had are when the Varsity coach decides to pay a visit to the sideline.  It's especially a nightmare at the 7th and 8th grade games.

This X a billion,  night and day difference in behavior.