Author Topic: 2018 UIL Exceptions  (Read 9733 times)

Offline bctgp

• FAN REACTION: +6/-10
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
2018 UIL Exceptions
« on: April 27, 2018, 02:31:47 PM »
Looks like the 2018 UIL Football exceptions have been released.  It will be interesting to see how the 40 sec. clock after scoring and after tries works out.  I can see a lot of DOG's the first few weeks.

The exceptions can be found here: http://www.uiltexas.org/files/athletics/2018_UIL_Exceptions_Eleven_Man_04-09-18_.pdf

Cheers.

Offline Legacy Zebra

• FAN REACTION: +52/-9
Re: 2018 UIL Exceptions
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2018, 02:47:25 PM »
Posted 18 days ago and 0 communication from UIL or TASO. Wait, let me find my surprised face... ::)

Offline bctgp

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2018, 05:56:41 PM »
While I can't say with 100% certainty, it was likely drafted on 4-9 and officially approved at the UIL SOC meeting on 4/23.  It was recently communicated to our chapter members by our TASO District Director.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2018, 06:03:37 PM by bctgp »

Offline Joe Stack

• FAN REACTION: +33/-46
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2018, 01:34:12 PM »
Forgive me if I missed it, but is there a PDF of the new NCAA rulebook? If not, how did they know what to except and what not to?

Offline bctgp

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2018, 12:30:13 PM »
I have yet to see one.  I'd assume they looked at the 2017 Rules + New 2018 rules changes and made a determination based on that.

Offline ElvisLives

• FAN REACTION: +161/-143
  • The rules are there if you need them.
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2018, 03:54:21 PM »
Forgive me if I missed it, but is there a PDF of the new NCAA rulebook? If not, how did they know what to except and what not to?

Joe, you may already have this, but the actual language for the rule changes is in the attached document.  But, you may be hinting that the actual final rule book language isn’t always what was presented in the rule change proposals.  That has certainly been the case occasionally, and can cause confusion, if not actual problem.  But, let’s see what the book says, when it becomes available.

Robert
« Last Edit: May 06, 2018, 10:13:47 PM by ElvisLives »

Offline ilyazhito

• FAN REACTION: +11/-13
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2018, 09:21:57 PM »
On a related note, why does UIL not use the 10-second subtraction rule? Doing so requires adding many exceptions to the rules related to timing.

I believe that UIL assumes that most clock operators are not competent enough to know how to take 10 seconds off the clock with 1 minute remaining (or that most stadiums use older clocks that don't allow for time to be taken off). Or is UIL afraid of officials botching the 10-second subtraction rule (running time off when it should not have been run off, or vice versa)?

IMO, if the UIL was able to implement the 40-second play clock, then there should not be any technical issues to prevent them from implementing the 10 second subtraction rule, especially because it only comes into play with < 1 minute in the 2nd and 4th quarters.

Offline DallasLJ

• FAN REACTION: +16/-15
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2018, 11:09:29 PM »
On a related note, why does UIL not use the 10-second subtraction rule? Doing so requires adding many exceptions to the rules related to timing.

I believe that UIL assumes that most clock operators are not competent enough to know how to take 10 seconds off the clock with 1 minute remaining (or that most stadiums use older clocks that don't allow for time to be taken off). Or is UIL afraid of officials botching the 10-second subtraction rule (running time off when it should not have been run off, or vice versa)?

IMO, if the UIL was able to implement the 40-second play clock, then there should not be any technical issues to prevent them from implementing the 10 second subtraction rule, especially because it only comes into play with < 1 minute in the 2nd and 4th quarters.
[/quote
  I think it has less to do with clock operators, and more to do with the fact that the UIL game is 48 minutes, not 60.  Coaches don't want to take any more time out of their game.  That is the reason for clock exceptions.

Offline ElvisLives

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2018, 10:09:13 AM »
UIL coaches will probably tell you that they and their teams are not smart or good enough to deliberately foul to gain such an advantage, as NCAA teams are, and losing the time, in addition to the penalty, in a critical situation is too much punishment.  Whatever.

Robert

Offline TexDoc

• FAN REACTION: +98/-26
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2018, 09:32:52 AM »
Looks like the 2018 UIL Football exceptions have been released.  It will be interesting to see how the 40 sec. clock after scoring and after tries works out.  I can see a lot of DOG's the first few weeks.

The exceptions can be found here: http://www.uiltexas.org/files/athletics/2018_UIL_Exceptions_Eleven_Man_04-09-18_.pdf

Cheers.

I guess I'm just missing it.  Where is the 40 seconds after scores and tries address in the UIL exceptions, or is it not since the UIL is adopting the rule?

Offline clearwall

• FAN REACTION: +14/-13
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2018, 10:42:39 AM »
I guess I'm just missing it.  Where is the 40 seconds after scores and tries address in the UIL exceptions, or is it not since the UIL is adopting the rule?

I believe that's the discussion. UIL is not excepting it, so they appear to be going with the new rule change as written.

Offline blindtxzebra

• FAN REACTION: +1/-1
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2018, 03:18:55 PM »

No UIL exception, rule is applied as written.

http://www.uiltexas.org/files/athletics/2018_Football_NCAA_Rule_Changes_UIL_Adaptation.pdf

Online Etref

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +85/-28
  • " I don't make the rules coach!"
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2018, 04:24:33 PM »
I foresee a lot of DOG especially at the 2A/3A level
" I don't make the rules coach!"

Offline Joe Stack

• FAN REACTION: +33/-46
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2018, 12:00:29 AM »
the actual language for the rule changes is in the attached document.

Editorial changes? I wonder if there have been many exceptions to these over the years. Maybe not.

Here's a question for you: may a coach who has been ejected for fighting but is the only coach on the sideline be forced to leave the field?

Offline TexDoc

« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2018, 06:44:14 AM »
I really like this rule change.  There are way too many times the teams take way too long to get on the field for the kickoff.

Offline TxBJ

• FAN REACTION: +9/-6
2018 UIL Exceptions
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2018, 12:11:30 PM »
I really like this rule change.  There are way too many times the teams take way too long to get on the field for the kickoff.
The rule changes don’t address that. The 40-second clock will run between the touchdown and extra point, and after the kickoff before the next play. It does not run between the extra point/field goal/safety and the kickoff.

Offline ElvisLives

« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2018, 01:16:44 PM »
Like TxBJ says, the interval between the Try and the subsequent kickoff hasn't changed.  That interval is supposed to be one minute.  And that one minute means the RFP signal should be given at the one-minute mark - it doesn't mean the team has one minute to begin moving onto the field, taking their time to get ready.
We simply have to get them going to be ready before one minute.  That takes some cajoling - gentle, but firm.  It can be done.

Robert

Offline JasonTX

• FAN REACTION: +112/-58
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2018, 03:36:22 PM »
They might become so accustomed to getting the teams out there quickly after the TD and after the kickoff that they may just rush out for the kickoff without even realizing the clock isn't running.

Offline TexDoc

« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2018, 01:28:44 PM »
The rule changes don’t address that. The 40-second clock will run between the touchdown and extra point, and after the kickoff before the next play. It does not run between the extra point/field goal/safety and the kickoff.

OK, got it.  It doesn't seem like the try is a huge issue as far as getting them out there.  Maybe less teams will run that swinging gate garbage. 

Offline ElvisLives

« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2018, 03:22:58 PM »
OK, got it.  It doesn't seem like the try is a huge issue as far as getting them out there.  Maybe less teams will run that swinging gate garbage.

Although the scoring team doesn't usually gather up on the sideline for a pow-wow before coming onto the field for a Try (like they do before a K/O), the Try is play that we 'anticipate' having the greatest potential for DOGs.  If the scoring team is on a 'drive,' and a score is imminent (i.e., they are in the 'red zone'), then they could/should have their special team gathered together (at least all of the ones that aren't on the field with the offense), and they should be able to get out there quickly.  That would also mean the officials are in close proximity, and will likely not have a problem getting a ball spotted for the Try (before the play clock hits 32).  This is especially true if the TD-signaling official holds his signal an extra second, and the PCO pauses for several counts before he starts the 40-second play clock (as we hear they will be instructed to do).
But, if the TD is a 'sudden change' score (long pass or run; kick, fumble, interception return), then the scoring team will not likely have its special team ready to jump out onto the field, and some of the crew (R,U/C) may be still moving to the Try location with the play clock approaching 25.  We can pump it up if we're not ready (which, technically, means the ball is not ready for play), but if Team A isn't ready, they are on their own, at risk of DOG.
We simply can't know until we get into games if this is truly going to be a problem.  I have a hunch there will be some percentage of 'pump ups' throughout the season (and beyond).  And I think there will be some moderate number of DOGs (or late T/Os called), early in the season, then the teams will adapt and that will drop to a very small number.

Robert

Offline TxBJ

• FAN REACTION: +9/-6
2018 UIL Exceptions
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2018, 11:27:30 PM »
I’m all for that!!

Offline ETXZebra

• FAN REACTION: +18/-7
« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2018, 09:41:33 AM »
From the UIL Executive meeting June 12, 2018.

C. Proposed Amendment
Section 1208(i) of the UIL Constitution and Contest Rules would be amended as follows effective August 1,  2018, pending approval by the Commissioner of Education:

Section 1208: ATHLETIC REGULATIONS
(i) MINIMUM PENALTY FOR MISCONDUCT.
(5) PLAYER EJECTION. ANY PLAYER EJECTED FROM A CONTEST IS SUBJECT TO AN AUTOMATIC PENALTY. THE AUTOMATIC PENALTY FOR SUCH AN EJECTION IS AS
FOLLOWS:
A. FOOTBALL. EJECTED PLAYER MISSES THE REST OF THE GAME IN WHICH THEY WERE EJECTED PLUS THE FIRST HALF OF THE FOLLOWING GAME.

Offline JasonTX

• FAN REACTION: +112/-58
« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2018, 06:37:14 PM »
From the UIL Executive meeting June 12, 2018.

C. Proposed Amendment
Section 1208(i) of the UIL Constitution and Contest Rules would be amended as follows effective August 1,  2018, pending approval by the Commissioner of Education:

Section 1208: ATHLETIC REGULATIONS
(i) MINIMUM PENALTY FOR MISCONDUCT.
(5) PLAYER EJECTION. ANY PLAYER EJECTED FROM A CONTEST IS SUBJECT TO AN AUTOMATIC PENALTY. THE AUTOMATIC PENALTY FOR SUCH AN EJECTION IS AS
FOLLOWS:
A. FOOTBALL. EJECTED PLAYER MISSES THE REST OF THE GAME IN WHICH THEY WERE EJECTED PLUS THE FIRST HALF OF THE FOLLOWING GAME.

I would hope we don't get involved in policing this other than submitting an incident report after the ejection.

Offline ETXZebra

• FAN REACTION: +18/-7
« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2018, 07:06:09 PM »
I sure hope not, but you know it will come up in pregame.

Offline TexDoc

« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2018, 08:31:58 AM »
I would hope we don't get involved in policing this other than submitting an incident report after the ejection.

I can assure you, the opposing coaches will know and remind everyone.