Author Topic: 40-second clock for Try  (Read 2607 times)

Offline ElvisLives

• FAN REACTION: +161/-143
  • The rules are there if you need them.
40-second clock for Try
« on: May 26, 2018, 08:21:22 AM »
I suspect many of you have already experienced this, but, for what it is worth, we worked a 6A spring game last night, and I can share some experience with the 40-second clock for a Try.  Although they used neither a game clock nor a play clock, they obviously are anticipating the new rule, at least when their offense is on something of a sustained drive.  Each time they scored a TD, they were able to get their "extra point team" on the field and execute the field goal attempt easily within 40 seconds.  All TDs were relatively short plays, so we had no issue retrieving the ball from the scoring player and getting it spotted quickly.  Although we didn't have a play clock running, we had a 'spare' official on the sideline time the intervals.  From the time the signaling official dropped his arms to when the ball was spotted, the worst was 9 seconds, which, of course, was LONNNNG before the team was ready to snap.  They were usually snapping with less than 5 seconds remaining on the play clock, but no problem getting that done. 

We had no long or sudden change TD plays, so we can't testify as to what those might be like.  But, the sustained drive situations are exactly as we envisioned, at least for this team.  The caveat here is that this was a 6A school, and they have a lot of players, so they are able to have a nearly dedicated "extra point team."  You almost surely won't get that at levels below 5A.  Still, probably won't be an issue on sustained drives.

For what it is worth.

Robert

Offline TexDoc

• FAN REACTION: +98/-26
Re: 40-second clock for Try
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2018, 09:48:50 AM »
So they had that kicking ball ready to bring in quickly?   LOL LOL LOL

Offline ElvisLives

• FAN REACTION: +161/-143
  • The rules are there if you need them.
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2018, 10:14:50 AM »
Don't know anything about a kicking ball, but the kicker was thoughtful enough to bring out a ball to us so we didn't have to bother with a ball person or anything.  It was a brand I'd never heard of before - it was a "K" brand, with this large K branded on the side.  Almost looked like someone had marked it with a felt-tip pen, but you never know about manufacturer's brands these days.
Just might catch on.

Offline TexDoc

• FAN REACTION: +98/-26
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2018, 01:59:05 PM »
Don't know anything about a kicking ball, but the kicker was thoughtful enough to bring out a ball to us so we didn't have to bother with a ball person or anything.  It was a brand I'd never heard of before - it was a "K" brand, with this large K branded on the side.  Almost looked like someone had marked it with a felt-tip pen, but you never know about manufacturer's brands these days.
Just might catch on.

^good

Offline TXMike

• FAN REACTION: +229/-265
  • When you quit learning you quit living
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2018, 10:50:58 PM »
I think the issue will be after KO returns when we are spread out and trying to get new ball set up quickly.  I would expect liberal use of 25 sec pump up.