Author Topic: new kickoff timing rule play  (Read 2393 times)

Offline Dakota Dan

• FAN REACTION: +9/-1
  • ΦΑ ΣAE SD Theta
new kickoff timing rule play
« on: August 21, 2018, 06:52:02 PM »
On a kickoff, team B has 5 members numbered 50, 60, 65, 70, 75 and 6 with eligible numbers, they return the ball to the B-22 or there is a fair catch it and the ball is placed at the B-25.  Officials bring a new ball in and are in position to work the next play, the 40 second clock is running, the kick off return team subs no one and quickly lines up in a legal formation and wants to snap the ball asap while the kickoff team wants to sub out and the starting defensive players want to replace them ... Is there anything preventing the kickoff return team (the new team A) from snapping the ball?  Or, is it tough luck on the kick off team and they have to play with the kicker on a scrimmage play...

Offline JasonTX

• FAN REACTION: +112/-58
Re: new kickoff timing rule play
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2018, 06:59:20 PM »
On a kickoff, team B has 5 members numbered 50, 60, 65, 70, 75 and 6 with eligible numbers, they return the ball to the B-22 or there is a fair catch it and the ball is placed at the B-25.  Officials bring a new ball in and are in position to work the next play, the 40 second clock is running, the kick off return team subs no one and quickly lines up in a legal formation and wants to snap the ball asap while the kickoff team wants to sub out and the starting defensive players want to replace them ... Is there anything preventing the kickoff return team (the new team A) from snapping the ball?  Or, is it tough luck on the kick off team and they have to play with the kicker on a scrimmage play...

I posed this scenario in another thread and a reply was made that a bulletin play may be on the way with instructions to hold them up.  Suppose the defense stays near the sideline.  To me, I don't want to allow the snap without a defense on the field.  At some point you could have and ILS on team B or DOD if they delay by staying in their sideline huddle.  I would like to see something specific though.

Offline Morningrise

• FAN REACTION: +24/-7
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2018, 04:07:37 PM »
I posed this scenario in another thread and a reply was made that a bulletin play may be on the way with instructions to hold them up.  Suppose the defense stays near the sideline.  To me, I don't want to allow the snap without a defense on the field.  At some point you could have and ILS on team B or DOD if they delay by staying in their sideline huddle.  I would like to see something specific though.

Ordinarily (say, on second down), if Team A doesn't sub and Team B for some reason tries to sub all eleven guys, we DO let that play go off for an easy touchdown, right?

Online ElvisLives

• FAN REACTION: +161/-143
  • The rules are there if you need them.
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2018, 04:30:48 PM »
Ordinarily (say, on second down), if Team A doesn't sub and Team B for some reason tries to sub all eleven guys, we DO let that play go off for an easy touchdown, right?

Yes, we do.  Some will argue this is no different.  Some will argue that a Team B should be allowed reasonable time to send in their Try defense, whether that be a FG defense or regular scrimmage defense.  I can’t say who will win that argument, but a winner needs to be declared very soon.

Robert