Author Topic: 2016 Rules Changes  (Read 39819 times)

Offline AlUpstateNY

• FAN REACTION: +341/-919
Re: 2016 Rules Changes
« Reply #75 on: July 25, 2016, 10:34:41 AM »
Think that's sorta the point of why their wanting reports sent in - so that they can show that it never really happens. I think in my eight years as a deep official I've called it once.

Is it possible, that players know instinctively that "face guarding" type behavior is NOT something they should be doing, which might be the main reason we see so little of it, or have a need to call it.  This rule is CLEARLY something that isn't broken, why should it be "fixed"

Eliminating it, will be a sure sign that it's a behavior that it is allowable SO it will be worth trying, and we'll get to see a lot more of it -BUT if the rule is changed, we won't be able to do anything about it.  The real question might be, "Why would anyone want to encourage face-guarding"?

Offline SouthGARef

• FAN REACTION: +10/-16
« Reply #76 on: July 25, 2016, 10:38:48 AM »
Is it possible, that players know instinctively that "face guarding" type behavior is NOT something they should be doing, which might be the main reason we see so little of it, or have a need to call it.  This rule is CLEARLY something that isn't broken, why should it be "fixed"

Eliminating it, will be a sure sign that it's a behavior that it is allowable SO it will be worth trying, and we'll get to see a lot more of it -BUT if the rule is changed, we won't be able to do anything about it.  The real question might be, "Why would anyone want to encourage face-guarding"?

Anecdotally I believe that if you polled all high school defensive backs in the entire country <5% would even know that face guarding is/was a foul. So I disagree with the entire premise of your point.

There's no rationale reason in my mind why face guarding should be a foul. Defensive pass interference without any contact whatsoever is absurd on its face. The NCAA and NFL games have been going for years without face guarding being a foul, and I'd like anyone to show me how it has been a detriment to the game.

Offline prab

• FAN REACTION: +37/-47
  • Wherever you go, there you are!
« Reply #77 on: July 25, 2016, 11:14:07 AM »
Never called it, only seen it called once.  I did not have a good look at the play, so I don't know if it was a good call or not.

Offline AlUpstateNY

• FAN REACTION: +341/-919
« Reply #78 on: July 25, 2016, 12:02:50 PM »
Anecdotally I believe that if you polled all high school defensive backs in the entire country <5% would even know that face guarding is/was a foul. So I disagree with the entire premise of your point.

There's no rationale reason in my mind why face guarding should be a foul. Defensive pass interference without any contact whatsoever is absurd on its face.

Sounds like we agree, leaving things as they are, or eliminating this prohibition completely isn't likely to make much of a meaningful difference either way.  A lot of things that rarely break ever get fixed.

Offline Rulesman

• Past Keeper of the Keys
  • Refstripes Hero
  • FAN REACTION: +65535/-2
  • Live like tomorrow never comes.
« Reply #79 on: July 25, 2016, 02:18:55 PM »

Players know they shouldn't hold, clip, block below the waist, rough the QB or commit an unsporting act, too. That hasn't slowed some of them down. :)
"Gentlemen, we are going to relentlessly chase perfection, knowing full well we will not catch it, because nothing is perfect. But we are going to relentlessly chase it, because in the process we will catch excellence. I am not remotely interested in just being good."
- Vince Lombardi

Offline BrendanP

• FAN REACTION: +19/-252
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #80 on: July 26, 2016, 07:36:31 AM »
I was unaware that face guarding wasn't a foul. Then again, I'm an umpire so the PIs that I have the privilege of calling usually go against the offense, I had always assumed that we were going by the Rogers Redding rule, that if you're not playing the ball and you don't look back for the ball, then 9 times out of 10 it's going to be caught or called for pass interference.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2016, 07:38:19 AM by BrendanP »

Offline SouthGARef

• FAN REACTION: +10/-16
« Reply #81 on: July 26, 2016, 08:30:31 AM »
I was unaware that face guarding wasn't a foul. Then again, I'm an umpire so the PIs that I have the privilege of calling usually go against the offense, I had always assumed that we were going by the Rogers Redding rule, that if you're not playing the ball and you don't look back for the ball, then 9 times out of 10 it's going to be caught or called for pass interference.

Face guarding is still a foul under NFHS code. Georgia's just an experimental state in doing away with it.

Offline VALJ

• FAN REACTION: +90/-14
« Reply #82 on: August 03, 2016, 07:56:12 AM »
I've never called a PI for face guarding.  I've only seen it once, and I'll admit that I kicked it years and years ago, and SHOULD have flagged it, though.