Author Topic: 2017 Sun Belt Media Days - Steve Shaw Interview  (Read 2968 times)

Offline Rulesman

• Past Keeper of the Keys
  • Refstripes Hero
  • FAN REACTION: +65535/-2
  • Live like tomorrow never comes.
2017 Sun Belt Media Days - Steve Shaw Interview
« on: July 26, 2017, 09:46:26 PM »
"Gentlemen, we are going to relentlessly chase perfection, knowing full well we will not catch it, because nothing is perfect. But we are going to relentlessly chase it, because in the process we will catch excellence. I am not remotely interested in just being good."
- Vince Lombardi

Online ElvisLives

• FAN REACTION: +161/-143
  • The rules are there if you need them.
Re: 2017 Sun Belt Media Days - Steve Shaw Interview
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2017, 09:13:34 AM »
Nothing really new, but the examples used with regard to the "leaping" rule change certainly add credence to the meaning of "leaping" as having a forward movement component to it.  Simply running from beyond the NZ and jumping straight up and landing on the ground in the same point from which the jump was initiated should not be illegal.  While I personally don't like the idea that a leap (with forward movement) that doesn't have the player actually go over an opponent should be illegal, I can deal with it.  Especially since leaping and not going over somebody - at the NZ - would probably never happen.  If he has that much of a gap, he could just run through and have a better chance to block the kick anyway.   

I just wish RR would put out some definitive rulings to clear this up, so we aren't self-interpreting.   

Offline JasonTX

• FAN REACTION: +112/-58
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2017, 08:23:11 PM »
So now leaping is moved over into the unsportsmanlike conduct category?

Online ElvisLives

• FAN REACTION: +161/-143
  • The rules are there if you need them.
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2017, 08:32:10 PM »
So now leaping is moved over into the unsportsmanlike conduct category?
I don't think so.  Nothing in the rule change changes it from a Personal Foul.  If Shaw said that, he probably just misspoke.
Robert

Offline JasonTX

• FAN REACTION: +112/-58
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2017, 02:30:45 PM »
I don't think so.  Nothing in the rule change changes it from a Personal Foul.  If Shaw said that, he probably just misspoke.
Robert
That is what Shaw said.  Hopefully we can get some clarification because it is an important change.  I'm sticking with Personal foul until something official is issued.