Author Topic: Play Situations Bulletin 1  (Read 2376 times)

Offline ElvisLives

• FAN REACTION: +161/-143
  • The rules are there if you need them.
Play Situations Bulletin 1
« on: September 07, 2017, 09:45:20 PM »
Play 1 - they just refuse to actually put in words that leaping has to have a forward component to it, but, this play, IMHO, makes it clear that, in the absence of contacting an opponent, there needs to be some forward movement during the leap for it to qualify as a foul.  B21 jumps at the B-16, returns to the ground at the B-17.  That's forward movement.
Just my take.

Robert

Offline ElvisLives

Re: Play Situations Bulletin 1
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2017, 09:54:35 PM »

The Unfair Acts thing is big.  Huge.  Putting time back on the clock as part of a penalty is revolutionary.  Not saying it is bad, just nothing I've ever heard of being done before.
Without replay, it will be very difficult to determine the time, if the clock was running at the snap.  Hopefully, we can recognize when a team may be in a position to try something like this, and we'll pay more attention to the clock for those plays.
Interesting.

Robert

Offline ljudge

• FAN REACTION: +19/-2
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2017, 08:56:48 AM »

The Unfair Acts thing is big.  Huge.  Putting time back on the clock as part of a penalty is revolutionary.  Not saying it is bad, just nothing I've ever heard of being done before.
Without replay, it will be very difficult to determine the time, if the clock was running at the snap.  Hopefully, we can recognize when a team may be in a position to try something like this, and we'll pay more attention to the clock for those plays.
Interesting.

Robert

Here's a situation.  I'll admit I didn't think of the unfair acts rule.  The officials hustled to get this under control.  Something we an all learn from.

https://youtu.be/XeSSLTOUzIA?t=2h31m57s
« Last Edit: September 10, 2017, 09:01:04 AM by ljudge »

Offline ElvisLives

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2017, 09:57:10 AM »
Well, there it is.  Unquestionably what prompted the bulletin play.  Just like the rest of us, though, they didn't consider putting time back on the clock.  Just not something ever considered before now (that I know of).  After seeing this exceptionally blatant example of poor sportsmanship, giving the offended team that time back is certainly justified, as well as converting the fouls to unsportsmanlike conduct. 
But, I can't help but think the players were instructed to do this.  That should be put on the head coach.  If I heard a coach directing players to do this, I would definitely put it on the HC.
I'm guessing I'll never see this in the balance of my career, but it is good to have direction from above as to handling such situations.

Robert