Author Topic: "Purists"  (Read 3528 times)

Online sczeebra

• FAN REACTION: +4/-6
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
"Purists"
« on: June 09, 2016, 10:34:20 AM »
Would anyone care to discuss this statement found in the Reddings guide? ( Purists will note the ball can touch the pylon without ever having gone in the end zone.) And has anybody ever made this call? As always, many thanks!!

pjsaul

Re: "Purists"
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2016, 11:00:13 AM »
I imagine he is saying that it is theoretically possible for a loose ball to completely leave the field of play at the 2 inch line and touch the pylon after leaving the field of play.

However, the pylon removes any ambiguity in judgement here and simply says that if a loose ball touches a pylon, it went out of bounds behind the goal line.

I hope no one has made the "purist" call because it is not supported by rule.

4-3-3: "If the ball touches a pylon, it is out of bounds behind the goal line."

Offline prab

• FAN REACTION: +37/-47
  • Wherever you go, there you are!
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2016, 12:09:18 PM »
I imagine he is saying that it is theoretically possible for a loose ball to completely leave the field of play at the 2 inch line and touch the pylon after leaving the field of play.

However, the pylon removes any ambiguity in judgement here and simply says that if a loose ball touches a pylon, it went out of bounds behind the goal line. 
I hope no one has made the "purist" call because it is not supported by rule.

4-3-3: "If the ball touches a pylon, it is out of bounds behind the goal line."

2-1-3  Any loose ball continues to be a loose ball until a player secures possession OR UNTIL IT BECOMES DEAD BY RULE, whichever comes first. 

Granted that this is what 4-3-3 says "ball", but I believe that it implies a LIVE BALL.

No, I have not made this call, nor have I ever seen anyone else make this call.  However, I may add it to my bucket list.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2016, 12:12:04 PM by prab »

Offline bama_stripes

• FAN REACTION: +115/-27
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2016, 07:53:23 AM »
Some officials used to epouse the theory that a diving runner had to touch the front or inside face of the pylon with the stretched out ball in order to score a TD.

The argument was that by touching the outside face, the ball had
to have crossed the sideline prior to such touching.

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +864/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2016, 08:16:11 AM »
Some officials used to epouse the theory that a diving runner had to touch the front or inside face of the pylon with the stretched out ball in order to score a TD.

The argument was that by touching the outside face, the ball had
to have crossed the sideline prior to such touching.
IMHO, thou with the eyesight  enabled to determine the exact spot of initial impact on the pylon by a pigskin held by an airborne runner flying toward it; would easily be able to spot a pimple on the butt of a seagull flying at 300 paces.

IMHO, thou with such eyesight should gain seasonal employment at the county fair circuit. He could bring a volleyball/tennis official's high chair and identify license plate numbers on cars beyond the view of the commoner.

IMHO, any part of the pylon = the pylon.

DON'T LOOK FOR FLY POOP IN THE PEPPER SHAKER.....
SOMEONE MAY WANT YOU TO REMOVE IT WITH TWEEZERS

tR:oLl tR:oLl tR:oLl tR:oLl tR:oLl tR:oLl tR:oLl tR:oLl