Author Topic: expanded neutral zone  (Read 5901 times)

Offline dch

• FAN REACTION: +9/-1
expanded neutral zone
« on: August 30, 2017, 07:12:19 PM »
It is my understanding that the expanded neutral zone:
  1) automatically expands 2 yds behind the defensive line of scrimmage on scrimmage kicks
  2) is not relevant for running plays
  3) expands up to 2 yards if a forward pass crosses the neutral zone and a offensive lineman contacts a defensive lineman and drives him back. 

dch added ---- On pass plays  this means to me that the neutral zone may not necessarily expand for all offensive lineman.  i.e.  if the right tackle does not block a defensive lineman then the neutral zone does not expand for him.  Is this correct from a "text book" point of view?
« Last Edit: August 31, 2017, 05:52:05 PM by dch »

Offline Curious

• FAN REACTION: +36/-50
Re: expanded neutral zone
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2017, 02:09:55 PM »
The expansion of the NZ - in HS football -  has no other significance on scrimmage Kicks other than to allow for normal line play - including the tipping (which would be ignored) of a low kick by R while in the ENZ.  In your question, if the RT goes downfield without blocking anyone he has committed no foul.

It is important to note that the ENZ immediately disintegrates when the kick crosses it  In this instance, if the kick somehow returns behind the NEUTRAL ZONE (not the ENZ) K may recover and advance. If R has muffed/touched the ball beyond the ENZ or K's advance reaches the line to gain, K is awarded a new series.

However, if K recovers within the ENZ, they may not advance it.  In this this case, any new series for K would be determined ONLY if R touched the ball beyond the ENZ

See 6.2.6 Situation

Offline KDJBBBJ

• FAN REACTION: +1/-2
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2017, 06:19:17 PM »
I don't think that it matters if he contacts and drives the defensive lineman back but if he goes more than 2 yards contacting the defensive lineman he has now committed OPI.  Casebook 7.5.12 SITUATION B:

Before A1 throws a pass beyond the neutral zone, A2 contacts lineman B1 on his line and drives him back 4 yards.

RULING: Offensive pass interference by A2 because he has driven B1 beyond the expanded neutral zone. (2-28-2)

If he just wanders down within the two yards before the legal forward pass crosses the neutral zone there is no foul. 
That's the way I understand it. 

Offline Curious

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2017, 11:18:27 AM »
I don't think that it matters if he contacts and drives the defensive lineman back but if he goes more than 2 yards contacting the defensive lineman he has now committed OPI.  Casebook 7.5.12 SITUATION B:

Before A1 throws a pass beyond the neutral zone, A2 contacts lineman B1 on his line and drives him back 4 yards.

RULING: Offensive pass interference by A2 because he has driven B1 beyond the expanded neutral zone. (2-28-2)

If he just wanders down within the two yards before the legal forward pass crosses the neutral zone there is no foul. 

We are talking about scrimmage kicks - not legal forward passes.  Yes, a lineman blocking beyond the ENZ could be OPI, but that's another scenario.

Offline VA Official

• FAN REACTION: +4/-6
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2017, 12:10:41 PM »
We are talking about scrimmage kicks - not legal forward passes.  Yes, a lineman blocking beyond the ENZ could be OPI, but that's another scenario.

dch edited the OP and clarified he was referring to pass plays.

KDJ's post is how I understand the ENZ to operate as well.

Offline Curious

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2017, 01:28:35 PM »
dch edited the OP and clarified he was referring to pass plays.

KDJ's post is how I understand the ENZ to operate as well.

Thanks for the clarification "VA"; I didn't see the edit... tiphat: :bOW

Offline bossman72

• FAN REACTION: +301/-25
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2017, 10:33:23 PM »
I really think there needs to be an editorial change to clarify what they really want here.

Offline riffraft

• FAN REACTION: +18/-19
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2017, 03:04:30 PM »
The expansion of the NZ - in HS football -  has no other significance on scrimmage Kicks other than to allow for normal line play - including the tipping (which would be ignored) of a low kick by R while in the ENZ.  In your question, if the RT goes downfield without blocking anyone he has committed no foul.

It is important to note that the ENZ immediately disintegrates when the kick crosses it  In this instance, if the kick somehow returns behind the NEUTRAL ZONE (not the ENZ) K may recover and advance. If R has muffed/touched the ball beyond the ENZ or K's advance reaches the line to gain, K is awarded a new series.

However, if K recovers within the ENZ, they may not advance it.  In this this case, any new series for K would be determined ONLY if R touched the ball beyond the ENZ

See 6.2.6 Situation

Had this Friday Night. Short punt, ball bounces back to the NZ. K touches and stops the ball, H immediately blows his whistles. We determined we did not have an inadvertent whistle, it was at least 6 inches beyond the NZ.  ;D

Offline ncwingman

• FAN REACTION: +72/-13
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2017, 04:13:17 PM »
Had this Friday Night. Short punt, ball bounces back to the NZ. K touches and stops the ball, H immediately blows his whistles. We determined we did not have an inadvertent whistle, it was at least 6 inches beyond the NZ.  ;D

But as K never possessed the ball (only touched it), it was only first touching of a scrimmage kick but would not cause the ball to become dead -- therefore it was an IW  :sTiR:

Offline CalhounLJ

• FAN REACTION: +134/-1004
expanded neutral zone
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2017, 05:02:20 PM »
But as K never possessed the ball (only touched it), it was only first touching of a scrimmage kick but would not cause the ball to become dead -- therefore it was an IW  :sTiR:
Not if K stopped it. In that case I have a ball lying on the field with nobody attempting to recover. R ball 1st and 10 6 inches beyond the now-nonexistent NZ. 😎

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Rulesman

• Past Keeper of the Keys
  • Refstripes Hero
  • FAN REACTION: +65535/-2
  • Live like tomorrow never comes.
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2017, 05:11:30 PM »
Possession of a ball by K not required if the ball was at rest.
"Gentlemen, we are going to relentlessly chase perfection, knowing full well we will not catch it, because nothing is perfect. But we are going to relentlessly chase it, because in the process we will catch excellence. I am not remotely interested in just being good."
- Vince Lombardi

Offline ncwingman

• FAN REACTION: +72/-13
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2017, 10:46:10 AM »
Due to quantum vibrations of the molecules in the football, no ball is ever truly "at rest"   :sTiR:

Offline riffraft

• FAN REACTION: +18/-19
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2017, 04:58:55 PM »

Watch the play on Hudl last night. The player actually possessed the ball, but stopped at about the same time my H blew his whistle. It was real close to being at the LOS. But I am sticking to the story, it was in front of the LOS.  ;)

Offline Rulesman

• Past Keeper of the Keys
  • Refstripes Hero
  • FAN REACTION: +65535/-2
  • Live like tomorrow never comes.
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2017, 05:00:40 PM »
Due to quantum vibrations of the molecules in the football, no ball is ever truly "at rest"   :sTiR:
Tell that to the rules committee.
"Gentlemen, we are going to relentlessly chase perfection, knowing full well we will not catch it, because nothing is perfect. But we are going to relentlessly chase it, because in the process we will catch excellence. I am not remotely interested in just being good."
- Vince Lombardi