Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10
National Federation Discussion / Re: The new rule will........
« Last post by Ralph Damren on Today at 06:57:31 AM »
Sorry, Gu5ys, on my slow esponse as I've been on vacation in sunny NC. Ole' Dell is a desktop and doesn't make road trips. I'm unaware of any experimental rules being applied for and I'm with you guys on waiting for the 'clairifications' on Rule 10.
National Federation Discussion / Re: Fair Catch
« Last post by dammitbobby on Yesterday at 09:28:07 PM »
A fair catch must be executed in or beyond the neutral zone (6-5-2). K can catch or recover kicks beyond the neutral zone if they were first touched by an R player (6-2-4). I agree that K can advance on a kick caught or recovered in or behind the neutral zone.

However, if R makes a fair catch signal in the neutral zone, R must be afforded an unimpeded opportunity to make the catch. This constrains K's ability to catch and advance the scrimmage kick in the neutral zone.

In most scenarios, the fair catch will happen beyond the neutral zone, so it is rare that a back judge will have to rule on fair catches in the neutral zone. In that case, it will be the short wing who has to decide on that play.

Just to play devil's advocate (not HFHS so I don't know the exact verbiage or details of that rulebook):

4/10 @A40.On a scrimmage kick, K86 shanks the ball high and short and straight ahead.  R45 signals for fair catch 10 yards downfield while running up to field the ball, and is positioned to catch the ball 3 yards behind the NZ at the A37. Big 'ol Bubba K76 impedes R45's attempt to catch the ball by knocking him to the ground while he is trying to make the catch, and makes obvious, intentional contact with the ball. K32 recovers the kick at the A35 and advances the ball to the EZ.

Ruling?

« Last post by sczeebra on Yesterday at 05:13:29 PM »
Just to add a tag to this thread. If R chooses to put the ball in play with a snap after the fair catch and then call a timeout and want to kick the ball would this be allowed? Rule citation please.
« Last post by ilyazhito on Yesterday at 02:15:31 PM »
A fair catch must be executed in or beyond the neutral zone (6-5-2). K can catch or recover kicks beyond the neutral zone if they were first touched by an R player (6-2-4). I agree that K can advance on a kick caught or recovered in or behind the neutral zone.

However, if R makes a fair catch signal in the neutral zone, R must be afforded an unimpeded opportunity to make the catch. This constrains K's ability to catch and advance the scrimmage kick in the neutral zone.

In most scenarios, the fair catch will happen beyond the neutral zone, so it is rare that a back judge will have to rule on fair catches in the neutral zone. In that case, it will be the short wing who has to decide on that play.

NCAA Discussion / Re: Just another down to discuss
« Last post by ElvisLives on Yesterday at 07:10:16 AM »
Im going to disagree. There are 3 times when illegal batting does not carry a loss of down: when a scrimmage kick is beyond the neutral zone, when the ball is batted from a teammates possession, and when the passing team bats a backward pass in flight forward. So this foul would not carry a loss of down and Team A would replay 3rd down.

Thank you! Yes. We learn best by experience, and, in 48 seasons, Ive never had this happen, at any level. So that element wasnt burned into my mind. Again, thank you. I have revised the answer.
NCAA Discussion / Re: Just another down to discuss
« Last post by Legacy Zebra on March 27, 2024, 07:50:27 PM »
Im going to disagree. There are 3 times when illegal batting does not carry a loss of down: when a scrimmage kick is beyond the neutral zone, when the ball is batted from a teammates possession, and when the passing team bats a backward pass in flight forward. So this foul would not carry a loss of down and Team A would replay 3rd down.
Oops, 9-7-3.
We don't by definition (2-2) have a bat here, as A2 is not slapping or striking the ball. However, I know that practice is to treat this as a bat.

9-7-2 says that a pass or fumble in flight can be legally batted ("no player shall bat a loose ball other than a pass or a fumble in flight...").  9-7-3 says that a pass in flight may be batted in any direction by an eligible receiver unless it is a backwards pass batter forward by the passing team.

So unless there is something I'm missing in the book, this is a legal play.  Enforce the UNS for the spike on the try or on the subsequent kickoff per 8-2-5.  Unless, as BetweenTheLines says, the B coach picks a UNS foul up arguing the play, in which case they offset.
« Last post by VALJ on March 27, 2024, 02:59:14 PM »
A (K) cannot advance a scrimmage kick in any scenario where a fair catch signal might be in play. This is because K is only allowed to advance kicks that do not cross the neutral zone. A legal fair catch can only be made on kicks that occur in or beyond the neutral zone.

K can advance on any kick caught or recovered in or behind the neutral zone, regardless of whether it crosses the LOS or not.  (6-2-3).
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10