Author Topic: From the Mouths of Coaches 2019  (Read 16442 times)

Offline Magician

• FAN REACTION: +257/-8
Re: From the Mouths of Coaches 2019
« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2019, 07:30:27 AM »
Nothing is more personal than someone putting their hand on my crotch.  PF.

Very true but it just felt like this needed a little more of a punishment than just a personal foul. It wasn't a punch though so it didn't rise to the level of flagrant or a personal foul. Again, not correct but rule but everyone understood and was fine with it.

Offline ncwingman

• FAN REACTION: +72/-13
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #26 on: November 25, 2019, 08:53:55 AM »
I got to be on the chain gang for a college game this past weekend where I heard things that cannot be unheard. I enjoy the no profanity rule in NFHS.... anyway, the best thing I heard off the sideline was a little more family friendly. I know a lot of coaches don't understand what a chop block is compared to a cut or low block, but this one takes the cake:

Some grad assistant -- "Holding! Holding! He was holding high/low!"

I guess I need to read up on my NCAA rules...

Offline VALJ

• FAN REACTION: +90/-14
« Reply #27 on: December 03, 2019, 10:44:17 AM »
I enjoy the no profanity rule in NFHS North Carolina

Fixed that for you.

Offline ncwingman

• FAN REACTION: +72/-13
« Reply #28 on: December 03, 2019, 08:48:53 PM »
Fixed that for you.

Unsportsmanlike conduct by (non)players:

9-5-1(b) and 9-8-1(a): Using profanity, insulting or vulgar language or gestures.

If your state has decided not to enforce the rule, then you are the exception. It is a NFHS rule.

Offline AlUpstateNY

• FAN REACTION: +341/-919
« Reply #29 on: December 03, 2019, 10:07:29 PM »

9-5-1(b) and 9-8-1(a): Using profanity, insulting or vulgar language or gestures.

If your state has decided not to enforce the rule, then you are the exception. It is a NFHS rule.

ABSOLUTELY, "If your state has decided not to enforce the rule", YOUR STATE is setting you up for unnecessary trouble.  Remember YOU get to decide what, "profanity, insulting or vulgar language or gestures" rises to WHAT level of needing immediate correction, so the level of correction applied should be consistent to EVERYONE.

Ignoring, tolerating, allowing such behavior is ONLY going to encourage retaliation and/or escalation which YOU are going to be responsible for handling.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2019, 10:09:09 PM by AlUpstateNY »

Offline VALJ

• FAN REACTION: +90/-14
« Reply #30 on: December 04, 2019, 09:02:06 AM »

I know. Kind of where I'm going with that.  I wish Virginia would adopt the no-tolerance rule that y'all have.

Offline refjeff

• FAN REACTION: +19/-30
« Reply #31 on: February 12, 2021, 04:25:30 PM »
It's been several weeks ago now, but I wore the white hat for the very first time. It was a JV game.

Offense ran around the right end. As he's turning the corner, A88 commits a blindside block in front of the line judge. I throw my flag. LJ throws his flag. The A coach is already griping. A goes on to score, but of course, it's coming back. I go to my LJ and he says he has BIB. Since it was closer to him, that's what I go with. Coach starts hollering, "That was NOT a block in the back!" I said, "Well coach, my flag was for a 15 yarder, so I decided to go with BIB." He's standing there staring at me with his arms crossed. He says it again, "It was not a block in the back!" Now, the crowd is starting to yell with the coach when the coach also yells these words, "It was a blindside block, but it WAS NOT a block in the back." I looked at him and said, "You're right coach..." Then, I told my ump to march off 15 yards.
  I don't really men to second guess, but ...

BSB is a safety foul.  That should have been the foul enforced right from he start.

Offline CalhounLJ

• FAN REACTION: +134/-1004
« Reply #32 on: February 12, 2021, 06:11:15 PM »

BSB is a safety foul.  That should have been the foul enforced right from he start.
To me it seems the best approach is to give the coach both fouls and let him pick. “Coach, we got a bib and a bsb. Which one you want?”

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline walkintall

• FAN REACTION: +3/-0
« Reply #33 on: April 25, 2021, 05:40:10 PM »

There were 2 flags for the same foul. I saw it as a BSB. The official closer saw it as a BiB. The A coach who was mad about the flag in the first place, not only saw his TD called back, he then proceeded to argue for a harsher penalty.

Offline walkintall

• FAN REACTION: +3/-0
« Reply #34 on: April 25, 2021, 05:44:38 PM »
To me it seems the best approach is to give the coach both fouls and let him pick. “Coach, we got a bib and a bsb. Which one you want?”

Apparently, I didn't write my story very clearly

Offline CalhounLJ

• FAN REACTION: +134/-1004
« Reply #35 on: April 26, 2021, 05:24:28 AM »
Apparently, I didn't write my story very clearly
Apparently ...

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +864/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
« Reply #36 on: May 01, 2021, 09:01:58 AM »
IMHO, a good rule of thumb  :thumbup : If the contact would be considered a PF during a live ball, then treat it as a DBPF, if the contact was incidental after BUT THE WORDS WERE NOT = USC.

EXAMPLES :
   (1) 2 players bump as they unpile and head back to their huddles = nothing, it's a contact sport.
   (2) 2 players bump and one responds : "Your grandma is a 'spud-chucker'" = potato thrower, slang in some portions of Maine = USC.
   (3) 1 player grabs another by the baby-makers = DBPF, and toss if felt necessary. Player  P_S may need to register as a sex offender  P_S depending on local statutes.