Author Topic: Instant Replay  (Read 3973 times)

Offline jwkde

• FAN REACTION: +0/-0
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
Instant Replay
« on: August 20, 2019, 02:38:23 PM »
Starting this season, state associations may adopt instant replay "during state post season contests"

Any idea how many states have adopted the use of instant replay. I know Delaware and Maryland are not going to use it - at least for the 2019 season 

Others?

Offline FLAHL

• FAN REACTION: +52/-9
Re: Instant Replay
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2019, 02:56:06 PM »
No for FL

Offline sir55

• FAN REACTION: +12/-5
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2019, 03:46:54 PM »
Mississippi will use it, but only in the state championship games at the end of the season. Details have not been released.

Offline colorado_lines

• FAN REACTION: +2/-0
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2019, 03:59:13 PM »
Colorado has said that not only will they not use it this year, they do not see it happening unless the Broncos decide to switch to a turf field.

Offline GA Umpire

• Refstripes Hero
  • FAN REACTION: +30/-3
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2019, 04:10:18 PM »
Starting this season, state associations may adopt instant replay "during state post season contests"

Any idea how many states have adopted the use of instant replay. I know Delaware and Maryland are not going to use it - at least for the 2019 season 

Others?

No for GA

Offline bama_stripes

• FAN REACTION: +115/-27
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2019, 05:51:35 AM »
Alabama authorized the use of IR for ALL games last year.  Very few schools made the necessary equipment investment, and I hear that there are even fewer this season.  IR will continue to be used in state championship games, since those are played at SEC stadiums where a (infinitely better) system is already in place.

I could go on and on about the limitations of IR for HS games.  It sounds great, but it’s not practical at this point in time.

Offline CalhounLJ

• FAN REACTION: +134/-1004
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2019, 06:33:03 AM »
I agree. Essentially every school hoping to make the playoffs would need the equipment. Those who miss out are stuck with unnecessary expense. Plus other teams that began the season not thinking they were in will make it. They will have to hustle to get the stuff. Then they maybe one and done.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +864/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2019, 07:25:23 AM »
Maine sez' :"Don't ever say never" but I don't see it in my lifetime. As I recall at least New Jersey and Minn. used it in post season. IMHO, it becomes a very expensive journey.

Offline Tom.OH

• FAN REACTION: +6/-0
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2019, 11:00:36 AM »
Ohio for state finals...
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. And inside of a dog, it's to dark to read."
Groucho Marx

Offline TampaSteve

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +23/-13
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2019, 12:11:46 PM »

I could go on and on about the limitations of IR for HS games.  It sounds great, but it’s not practical at this point in time.
agreed. the thing with IR is that's it's generally only as good as the # of cameras that can catch the action. - and the quality of the cameraman too.
even NFL games have varying levels of the benefit of IR (as I'm told).
i.e. the big sunday night game or MNF each have many more cameras than the not-so-popular game and would have many more angles to utilize.

Offline Ralph Damren

« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2019, 12:50:38 PM »
IMHO, the tapes we view are a good tool to see if the official is in the best spot to make the call. One thing we never see is from the eyes of the calling official. 8]

Offline UTchad

• FAN REACTION: +2/-2
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2019, 01:29:53 PM »
Utah is a no.

Offline NVFOA_Ump

• FAN REACTION: +99/-283
  • High School (MA & RI)
    • Massachusetts Independent Football Officials Association
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2019, 02:43:27 PM »
IMHO, the tapes we view are a good tool to see if the official is in the best spot to make the call. One thing we never see is from the eyes of the calling official. 8]

Well said.  Even in NFL games you rarely get the perspective that the calling official had when he had to make his decision.  Plus our view is not available in stop-action, 4K high resolution.
It's easy to get the players, getting 'em to play together, that's the hard part. - Casey Stengel

Offline hef333

• FAN REACTION: +3/-0
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2019, 02:48:13 PM »
PA is a no.

Offline AlUpstateNY

• FAN REACTION: +341/-919
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2019, 03:08:19 PM »

Perfection is usually a worthy objective, until you start deluding yourself that you might actually be close enough to require it.

Offline FLAHL

• FAN REACTION: +52/-9
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2019, 03:52:39 PM »
I think this is from John Wooden, but I can't find it attributed to him. 

"Don't put yourself in a position where you can be beaten by a bad call."

Offline NorCalMike

• FAN REACTION: +23/-8
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2019, 09:25:28 PM »
No replay in California.

Offline Ralph Damren

« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2019, 06:55:01 AM »
Over the years I received many calls from coaches complaining about a "bad call". If it's about a misapplied rule, I'll listen. If it's about a judgement call, I'll politely respond : "Coach, he called it with what he saw through his eyes, not what was seen through the video." Oddly enough the judgement calls on fouls are from 90% flags thrown that shouldn't have been to 10% on flags that should have been that weren't.

MORALE OF STORY : When not sure, DON'T throw the flag.

Offline Magician

• FAN REACTION: +257/-8
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2019, 08:52:40 AM »
Over the years I received many calls from coaches complaining about a "bad call". If it's about a misapplied rule, I'll listen. If it's about a judgement call, I'll politely respond : "Coach, he called it with what he saw through his eyes, not what was seen through the video." Oddly enough the judgement calls on fouls are from 90% flags thrown that shouldn't have been to 10% on flags that should have been that weren't.

MORALE OF STORY : When not sure, DON'T throw the flag.

That's why downgrades in the NFL and D1 level are bigger for incorrect calls compared to incorrect no calls. It drives the behavior to err on the side of no call if you aren't 100% certain.

Offline TampaSteve

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +23/-13
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2019, 02:33:43 PM »
ditto magic man.
your're downgraded more for an incorrect/erroneous flag more than keeping it in your pants.

Offline Curious

• FAN REACTION: +36/-50
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2019, 12:38:36 PM »
Michigan has "tentatively" committed to IR for 8 state final games - depending on the willingness of the Lions to make the "tools/equipment" available. :!#

Thank the barristers and courts! pi1eOn

Offline BIG DON

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +43/-10
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2019, 09:18:38 PM »
Arkansas Yes State Finals only
do or do not there is no try

Offline AlUpstateNY

• FAN REACTION: +341/-919
« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2019, 09:45:00 AM »
That's why downgrades in the NFL and D1 level are bigger for incorrect calls compared to incorrect no calls. It drives the behavior to err on the side of no call if you aren't 100% certain.

Hold on, I thought the use of IR wasn't going to affect, or impact, the decision making/judgment/hesitation of field officials?

Offline RMR

• FAN REACTION: +10/-6
« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2019, 08:09:19 PM »
Louisiana will use it in championship games.
"Just because you don't understand it, doesn't mean it's wrong."

Offline Patrick E.

• FAN REACTION: +6/-3
« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2019, 09:36:38 AM »
No in NY.