Author Topic: QB Movement in Shotgun  (Read 1630 times)

Offline Ia-Ref

• FAN REACTION: +3/-3
QB Movement in Shotgun
« on: August 22, 2019, 11:06:21 AM »
I see the shotgun formation more and more theses days.  For some teams that is all they do.
I have notice the QB often moves his hands to reach for the ball or claps his while calling signals.  Sometimes the ball is snapped, sometimes not when the hands are moved or clapped.
How are these movements similar or different to a "head bob" by the QB when under center?
Should these movements be allowed?
"Because you can referee wrong, make a mistake, but what you can not do is create your own sense of justice and, even worse, invent a very personal application of the rules."   Dutch legend (soccer coach) Johan Cruyff

Offline FLAHL

• FAN REACTION: +52/-9
Re: QB Movement in Shotgun
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2019, 12:22:32 PM »
I look for consistency and am going to allow the QB to do the same thing throughout the game. What I’m not going to allow is a jerky hand movement or clap motion that suddenly appears on 3rd or 4th down, or late in the 2nd or 4th quarter.

Offline TampaSteve

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +23/-13
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2019, 02:32:05 PM »
something the NCAA was very picky on +/-10yrs ago:
When the QB does his leg raise to tell C to snap the ball - many QB were 'stepping into' (stepping the foot forward) to signal...which is illegal shift. (moving fwd at the snap, right?)

More HS QB are guilty of this than not. ...but since NCAA clamped down on this 10+/- yrs ago we dont see it much anymore at the college (or NFL) level.

With that, next few HS games you fellas see, just note if you see that QB move that foor fwd....maybe a good discussion with your local assns....

Offline markrischard

• FAN REACTION: +3/-0
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2019, 09:48:34 AM »
Or, is it illegal motion?

Offline CalhounLJ

• FAN REACTION: +134/-1004
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2019, 10:05:30 AM »
Illegal motion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline TampaSteve

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +23/-13
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2019, 02:45:03 PM »
I would say that was intentional to see if yall were paying atn., but I simply had my head in my rear. Cheers