Author Topic: You make the call!  (Read 8759 times)

Offline VALJ

• FAN REACTION: +90/-14
You make the call!
« on: July 07, 2015, 08:19:10 AM »
3rd & goal from the B2 yard line.  Slick, A's running back, is hit at the one yard line and fumbles the ball.  Seeing a chance for glory and a date with team A's homecoming queen, offensive tackle Tugboat dives for the ball and grabs the ball while (barely) airborne.  While he is still in the air, with the ball clearly in his control over the goal line, his knee touches the pylon.

You make the call....

Jim D

Re: You make the call!
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2015, 08:34:27 AM »
Sadly, Tugboat's bid for glory and a date fails miserably.  His "recovery" never happens because he didn't come down in bounds.  Hitting the pylon means the ball is out of bounds in the endzone.  The result of the play is A fumbling into the endzone for a touchback.  B's ball 1st and 10 at the 20 and Tugboat alone again on Saturday night.

Offline theunofficialofficial

• FAN REACTION: +5/-1
  • Go slow, then go slower.
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2015, 09:18:58 AM »
I agree sorry Tugboat. It's tempting to say that he saves the day as he has control of the ball in his opponents end zone (8-2-1b) he does not fully possess the ball as tugboat does not complete recovery (2-36-1).

Same sort of thing applies if A3 throws a pass to A5 right at the end line. A5 jumps up and clearly controls the ball but he lands out of bounds. Even though he clearly is in control of the pass in the players end zone he does not come down inbounds.

Guess the Homecoming Queen gets the QB again...

Offline Atlanta Blue

• FAN REACTION: +160/-71
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2015, 12:49:38 PM »
Sadly, Tugboat's bid for glory and a date fails miserably.  His "recovery" never happens because he didn't come down in bounds.  Hitting the pylon means the ball is out of bounds in the endzone.  The result of the play is A fumbling into the endzone for a touchback.  B's ball 1st and 10 at the 20 and Tugboat alone again on Saturday night.
Technically correct, but there isn't a chance in Hades that's the way it gets called on Friday night.  As soon as the H or L sees Tugboat with the ball breaking the plane, I'll bet dollars to donuts the call is a touchdown.

And by the way, the definition of "recovery" requires "possession", and the definition of "possession" (in this regard) requires "recovery".  One more circular definition in the FED rulebook.

Offline VALJ

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2015, 01:34:22 PM »
I suppose I could make the joke that Jim and UO are incorrect, because neither factored in the  ^flag on A's head coach when the ruling is explained to him, making it B 1/10 @ B35..   ;D

Offline sczeebra

• FAN REACTION: +4/-5
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2015, 01:38:35 PM »
For the definitions sake, a recovery or catch?

Offline FLAHL

• FAN REACTION: +52/-9
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2015, 01:50:14 PM »
For the definitions sake, a recovery or catch?

Can't tell from the OP.  If the fumble hit the ground before Tugboat possessed it, it's a recovery.  If he snatched it out of the air, it's a catch.

Offline sczeebra

• FAN REACTION: +4/-5
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2015, 01:59:11 PM »
What if while flying thru the breeze ole Tugaloo who some claim to be a real knuckledragger in fact lives up to his name. Would he have then established possession therby securing the Queen!

Offline Curious

• FAN REACTION: +36/-50
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2015, 04:21:51 PM »
Technically correct, but there isn't a chance in Hades that's the way it gets called on Friday night.  As soon as the H or L sees Tugboat with the ball breaking the plane, I'll bet dollars to donuts the call is a touchdown.

And by the way, the definition of "recovery" requires "possession", and the definition of "possession" (in this regard) requires "recovery".  One more circular definition in the FED rulebook.

AB, why so doubtful? The more we talk about these plays, the better chance we'll get them right.  pray:;

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +864/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2015, 07:23:18 AM »
What if while flying thru the breeze ole Tugaloo who some claim to be a real knuckledragger in fact lives up to his name. Would he have then established possession therby securing the Queen!
If any part of Tugboat was touching the ground inbounds after he completed the recovery, his band would play, cheerleaders prance and prom queen swoon. ^good

Humpday trivia : While airborne and with visions of the prom queen prancing in his head, Tugboat spits out his mouthpiece and his tongue touches Terra fer ma inbounds BEFORE the dreaded pylon....YOU MAKE THE CALL ^flag ^good ^no ^talk ^TD nAnA

Offline Atlanta Blue

• FAN REACTION: +160/-71
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2015, 07:46:17 AM »
AB, why so doubtful? The more we talk about these plays, the better chance we'll get them right.  pray:;
In reality, how well is the official going to able to differentiate if a lineman is "barely" (the word in the OP) off the ground?  He's watching the ball, possession, the goal line, the pylon and hopefully, not the homecoming queen (or her momma).  In real time, I'm betting the read/assumption is recovery, break the plane, touchdown.
If he can clearly see the lineman never came down inbounds, sure, he may get it technically correct.  I'm just betting in all that going on, the assumption will be a TD.

Offline bkdow

• FAN REACTION: +9/-3
  • Striving for the impossible level of perfection
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2015, 09:59:39 AM »
Ultimately, you have to give it to Tugs because he was all the way over by the pylon.   pi1eOn
"Don't let perfection get in the way of really good." John Lucivansky

Jim D

« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2015, 11:50:00 AM »
In reality, how well is the official going to able to differentiate if a lineman is "barely" (the word in the OP) off the ground?  He's watching the ball, possession, the goal line, the pylon and hopefully, not the homecoming queen (or her momma).  In real time, I'm betting the read/assumption is recovery, break the plane, touchdown.
If he can clearly see the lineman never came down inbounds, sure, he may get it technically correct.  I'm just betting in all that going on, the assumption will be a TD.

Not only that, but the head coach who is back at the 50 yardline will be able to make the call with 100% certainty that Tug actually touched down in the end zone. 

Offline VALJ

« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2015, 12:16:36 PM »
Not only that, but the head coach who is back at the 50 yardline will be able to make the call with 100% certainty that Tug actually touched down in the end zone.

I suppose I could make the joke that Jim and UO are incorrect, because neither factored in the  ^flag on A's head coach when the ruling is explained to him, making it B 1/10 @ B35..   ;D

First off, the head coach is probably down at the 20 or so.  Second off, that's the reason B's first down is on the B35...  :)

Offline Ralph Damren

« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2015, 02:17:28 PM »
If any part of Tugboat was touching the ground inbounds after he completed the recovery, his band would play, cheerleaders prance and prom queen swoon. ^good

Humpday trivia : While airborne and with visions of the prom queen prancing in his head, Tugboat spits out his mouthpiece and his tongue touches Terra fer ma inbounds BEFORE the dreaded pylon....YOU MAKE THE CALL ^flag ^good ^no ^talk ^TD nAnA
BUZZZZZ...time's  almost up yEs: tomorrow will make the question a week old and no takers yet ??? ??? ???.......

Offline FLAHL

• FAN REACTION: +52/-9
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2015, 02:57:42 PM »
OK Ralph, I'll give it a try.

I'll say that his tongue counts as "any part of his body" and the result of the play is a TD.  However, Tugboat committed a foul when he spit out his mandatory equipment during the down.  Lucky for him, the penalty is enforced from the succeeding spot, so score 6 for Tugboat, and get him some mouthwash because he will surely need it after licking the dirt, grass, chalk, and whatever else. 

Offline GA Umpire

• Refstripes Hero
  • FAN REACTION: +30/-3
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2015, 12:32:31 AM »

As stated previously, if any part of Tugboat's body touches inbounds before he touches the pylon, he has a touchdown.  The five yard penalty for Failure to Properly Wear Required Equipment is enforced from the succeeding spot.  B can elect to take it on the try or the succeeding kickoff, if any.

Offline Ralph Damren

« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2015, 06:59:57 AM »
FLAHL wins the gold aWaRd with the silver going to GA Umpire. The rationale is that this foul had no baring on the outcome of the play and would be treated as a dead ball foul, thus signal #27 preceding #23 indicates that it was a noncontact foul. Good job, guys.

tiphat: