Author Topic: scrimmage kick  (Read 2011 times)

Offline copedaddy

• FAN REACTION: +6/-6
scrimmage kick
« on: October 07, 2018, 07:43:20 AM »
Scrimmage kick dilemma. Play I have never seen or at least can't remember. Team A in legal scrimmage kick formation.
A5 is 12 yards deep and lone protection back  A10 is about 6 yards deep just to the right of the snapper. The ball is snapped to A10 who turns and pitches the ball to A5 who has not moved from his position. A5 takes only 1 step and kicks the ball down field.
So here is the question. Does A5 have kicker protection? Informal survey down here is split 50/50.
Trying to find rule reference to answer the question.

Offline Clear Lake ref

• FAN REACTION: +5/-2
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
Re: scrimmage kick
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2018, 09:13:27 AM »
Kicker by definition. Didn’t take the ball out of tackle box.  Obvious a kick might be attempted.

Protection afforded.

Online ElvisLives

• FAN REACTION: +161/-143
  • The rules are there if you need them.
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2018, 10:11:46 AM »
Kicker by definition. Didn’t take the ball out of tackle box.  Obvious a kick might be attempted.

Protection afforded.

Not at all disagreeing, but the bold and italicized language above is the critical element of the rule that requires interpretation by somebody above us.  The rule was written to govern a ‘normal’ and obvious scrimmage kick situation, which is a snap directly to the kicker.  What would be the purpose of snapping to another player first?  That would be to momentarily distract the rushers, to greatly reduce the likelihood of a block.  In that case, it is no longer obvious a kick will be made. There’s where the Sec-Ed - whomever he might be - would hang his hat, if he ruled this to be outside the intent of the rule, thus, the kicker is not protected. 

Conversely, the argument to provide protection would be simple player safety.  The argument could be made that, when the kicker received the ball, it was still obvious a kick would be made.  There is where the Sec-Ed would hang his hat, if he ruled that this is within the intent of the rule, thus, the kicker is protected.

My opinion doesn’t count, but, I would rule that the indirect snap would be outside the intent of the rule, thus, the kicker is not protected.

Hope I don’t ever see it, at least until we get a formal interpretation.

Robert

Offline Clear Lake ref

• FAN REACTION: +5/-2
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2018, 11:32:07 AM »
We see it all the time in 6man. You can argue that it’s expexted there but that is what the play is.