Author Topic: It's fun "playing coach" sometimes......  (Read 2597 times)

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +864/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
It's fun "playing coach" sometimes......
« on: January 12, 2015, 08:09:29 AM »
In Patriot Nation, Coach B is considered by many as Deity. However, in the waining minutes there appeared to two situations where he could be second-guessed :

(1) With 1 : 39 remaining, with 1st & 10 @ their 20, and with the Crows (refer to previous topic) holding one timeout ; he chose to take 3 knees. My math told me that that would only use up 1 : 20, :-\ BUT with sweeps and a 20 yard buffer to scramble in, that possibly use up the other  : 19 yEs:  The 3 knees left  : 14 for a 4th down punt.

(2) With 0 : 14 remaining , do you punt from your own goal line with an expected 10 man rush, OR pull the trick used in a recent Super Bowl of having the O-line all hold where the kicker waits in the EZ and takes a deliberate safety ??? ???

That's my Monday morning coaching.....what's yours.

Offline Bwest

• FAN REACTION: +12/-3
Re: It's fun "playing coach" sometimes......
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2015, 10:01:14 AM »
RE: Situation 2, I'm punting. If you take the safety, then you have to free kick. No time will run off during the free kick until it is caught (unlike a punt), negating the timing advantage of taking the safety.

Or, the receiving team could fair catch the free kick and attempt a free kick of their own to win the game. An NFL kicker lining up a potentially game-winning free kick from the 40 or so would probably have better odds of a hail mary, plus the defense can't do anything about it.