Author Topic: Offensive Player runs onto field late  (Read 2249 times)

Offline bbeagle

• FAN REACTION: +14/-52
Offensive Player runs onto field late
« on: September 20, 2012, 02:39:07 PM »
Team A ball on 50. Team A has already broken it's huddle with 10 players. Player A80 is not paying attention as Coach A's requests him to go on the field. The team lines up, Team A QB A12 notices A80 running on the field at the A47, parallel to the line of scrimmage.

Do we have anything different if A80 is still running (in motion and never stopped) and the ball is snapped while (a) has not made the numbers or (b) has made it past the numbers ?

In (a), I think I have a live-ball foul, illegal substitution, and possibly illegal participation.
In (b), I think I have a live-ball foul, illegal shift, as the substitute is now a 'player' after crossing the numbers, but he has not become motionless for one second before the snap.

Do we 'kill the play' and enforce a dead-ball, illegal substitution, in either case?

Offline Ump33

• FAN REACTION: +8/-3
Re: Offensive Player runs onto field late
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2012, 04:21:37 PM »
7-2-1 . . . After the ball is marked ready for play, each player of A who participated in the previous down and each substitute for A must have been, momentarily, between the 9-yard marks, before the snap.

Penalty: Illegal formation (Arts. 1) – (S19)

Offline Curious

• FAN REACTION: +36/-50
Re: Offensive Player runs onto field late
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2012, 04:44:10 PM »
UMP correctly answered scenario a - live ball foul; I wouldn't call this IP or IS. 

In b, you are right that it is an illegal shift; but only if he's A11, inside the 9 yd marks, and does not deceive the defensive team.  Other than being on his side of the LOS, if the sub is a B player, no foul (Rule 7-2-1, 6, and 7; 3-7-6; 9-6-4;CB 3.7.5A) - live ball foul