Recent Posts

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10
Texas Topics / Re: Out of Chapter Requests from Playoff Teams
« Last post by ElvisLives on March 22, 2024, 03:40:40 PM »
If our Legislature didn’t have a border crisis, wildfires, school finance, general state budget issues (like reducing property taxes), water, agriculture, fighting an abusive Executive Branch of the federal government, etc., we might be able to interest a legislator (or 181) to pass a bill removing officiating assignment authority/responsibility from the UIL. The UIL will never voluntarily give up that ‘power,’ because they see it as their only way to control the quality of officiating. So they say. In reality, each coach only wants to control officials to ‘get’ calls to go their way. So, it will take state legislative action (since the UIL is a department of the University of Texas, and UT is a political sub-division of the State of Texas) to change this from outside the UIL. What are the odds?
A large conversation that needs to be had. But, what legislator is willing to even discuss this?  They have far more important things to worry about.
Texas Topics / Re: Out of Chapter Requests from Playoff Teams
« Last post by FWREF on March 22, 2024, 01:58:06 PM »
So the long and short of this is that TASO won't support a chapter that tries to not cover a school for this. Let's say a certain school doesn't use a chapter for 3 years in a row in the playoffs, even though that chapter covers their varsity and sub-varsity schedules and has for years. Chapter leadership has meeting after meeting with them about it each year and receive assurances that the issue will be corrected. It never is so the chapter finally tells the school that they will not cover said schools games the next year.  The school calls TASO, TASO tells the chapter in question that they have no choice but to cover the schedule or there will be consequences.
Basketball / Inbounds Pass
« Last post by TampaSteve on March 22, 2024, 11:50:23 AM »
I dont know much about basketball besides the basics.
*when can the inbounds passer enter the court? - once it touches someone? or it must only touch the floor?
i.e. player A is trying to inbound a long pass from the base line to half court. after he releases the ball, his momentum carries him forward while the ball is still in the air.
I'm guessing this is a violation?

Help a rookie here fellas.
Thanks
National Federation Discussion / Re: Fair Catch
« Last post by BetweenTheLines on March 22, 2024, 07:39:40 AM »
Casebook Pg. 50. 6.5.2 Situation A should answer your questions.
NCAA Discussion / Re: Running Into the Kicker/Holder
« Last post by ElvisLives on March 21, 2024, 09:36:55 PM »
Maybe within our lifetime. We could get rid of A.R. 9-2-2-II at the same time.... (it took me something like 20 years to learn that a "kicking shoe" is a synonym for a tee)

Kalle,
Actually, they used to make a special kicking shoe, that had a hard, rectangular toe, for kicking “straight on,” before the Gogolak brothers invaded football with the soccer style kick. Back then, the kicker was often a ‘regular’ player and they would throw the kicking shoe out to him, and he would change the shoe on his kicking foot, to make a field goal kick. So, the first deception plays involved calling for the kicking shoe while walking toward the sideline.
Non-Officiating Discussion / Artwork entitled “What’s the Call?”
« Last post by Close to Retiring on March 21, 2024, 08:57:03 PM »
Does anyone remember from many years ago a large pencil drawing print of four or five nfl officials huddled up in a serious discussion. The piece was entitled “What’s the Call” it seems like the print was purchased through Referee Magazine. Now that I’m retired from officiating, I would really like to acquire a copy of that print, for sentimental reasons, for my office. If you have any leads on this piece of art, please contact me at randydale1@gmail.com. Many thanks in advance.
General Discussion / Re: Volleyball pads
« Last post by GA Umpire on March 21, 2024, 04:30:59 PM »
I’m told that some kids are wearing volleyball knee pads during games. Do the knee pads need to be approved by the NFHS for football use? If found during a game…Illegal equipment, or UNS on head coach?
It is my understanding that if the "volleyball" pads are worn on the knee with the pant leg over the pad, they are legal.
National Federation Discussion / Fair Catch
« Last post by Derek Teigen on March 21, 2024, 02:50:35 PM »
I am transitioning to back judge this year and so I am really focusing on some different areas now, one of those being back with the punt returner on scrimmage kicks.  My question is

1. If an R player makes a valid fair catch I understand he is given protection and cannot be tackled or advance the ball.  But what if R muffs the ball or the ball bounces before R possesses the ball? 
a.    can R advance the ball?
b.    can R be contacted by K?

I am trying to understand the significance of 'protection' and how that comes into play.  I hope this makes sense.  thank you.
General Discussion / Re: Volleyball pads
« Last post by bossman72 on March 21, 2024, 01:20:11 PM »
I'm just glad they're wearing knee pads.
General Discussion / Volleyball pads
« Last post by VTMarcf on March 21, 2024, 01:02:42 PM »
I’m told that some kids are wearing volleyball knee pads during games. Do the knee pads need to be approved by the NFHS for football use? If found during a game…Illegal equipment, or UNS on head coach?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10