Author Topic: Your take on the USFL  (Read 5726 times)

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +864/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
Re: Your take on the USFL
« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2022, 02:43:29 PM »
What ever happened to the "BRING BACK THE DROP KICK" crowd  :o ! I figured that would have been added with an extra point or such  :thumbup .
 :sTiR: :sTiR: :sTiR: :sTiR: :sTiR:

Offline KWH

• FAN REACTION: +633/-113
  • See it, Think about it, Pass on it if possible!
« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2022, 09:35:53 AM »
What ever happened to the "BRING BACK THE DROP KICK" crowd  :o ! I figured that would have been added with an extra point or such  :thumbup .
 :sTiR: :sTiR: :sTiR: :sTiR: :sTiR:

How about these options Ralph?

Proposed NFHS Try options

* 1-point place-kick field goal try would be put in play at the 3-yard line
* 2-point touchdown try would be put in play at the 3-yard line
New * 3-point drop-kick field goal try would be put in play at the 3-yard line
New * 3-point touchdown try would be put in play at the 10-yard line
SEE everything that you CALL, but; Don't CALL everything you SEE!
Never let the Rules Book get in the way of a great ball game!

Respectfully Submitted;
Some guy on a message forum

Offline Ralph Damren

« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2022, 10:25:36 AM »
How about these options Ralph?

Proposed NFHS Try options

* 1-point place-kick field goal try would be put in play at the 3-yard line
* 2-point touchdown try would be put in play at the 3-yard line
New * 3-point drop-kick field goal try would be put in play at the 3-yard line
New * 3-point touchdown try would be put in play at the 10-yard line
I'd vote for that  :). I place for soccer goalies that couldn't make a save  ^TD

Offline ElvisLives

• FAN REACTION: +161/-143
  • The rules are there if you need them.
« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2022, 10:45:39 AM »
Forget the rules. Sell some tickets, and then worry about the rules. Even Birmingham ain't exactly packin' 'em in. More people at a birthday party for a 6-year old than for any of the other games. But, it appears some crews are getting more than one game per weekend. If the checks aren't bouncing, two games per week might be a good thing.

Offline KWH

• FAN REACTION: +633/-113
  • See it, Think about it, Pass on it if possible!
« Reply #29 on: April 26, 2022, 01:00:20 PM »
I'd vote for that  :). I place for soccer goalies that couldn't make a save  ^TD

OK - Would you also support it if we added 2-points for a defensive conversion?  :!#
SEE everything that you CALL, but; Don't CALL everything you SEE!
Never let the Rules Book get in the way of a great ball game!

Respectfully Submitted;
Some guy on a message forum

Offline Ralph Damren

« Reply #30 on: April 26, 2022, 02:56:45 PM »
OK - Would you also support it if we added 2-points for a defensive conversion?  :!#
Only if a runner could go airborne by grabbing onto a low flying drone and then parachute into the end zone. In my daze of youth , we used to play tackle football without any adult supervision on the local high school field with no barb-wired fence or disclaimer/warning signs. The game would usually last until suppertime with the last play for each team being a "I KNOW NO BOUNDS " where the runner could leave the field of play, running behind the bleachers, bomb shelters, hula hoops and the likes. His only goal was to make it to the end zone before getting tackled. Only one rule : Can't use any mode of transportation (bikes, roller skates, ponies, trollies  etc) to git there. If the USFL was to adopt this, the boundary  should be set at the stadium parking lot. Fans in isle seats could be placed in danger and a disclaimer on the reverse side of the ticket should explain such.

EDITORIAL NOTE: These are only musings of a tired and grumpy ole' duffer, returning from a spring cleaning of our lakeside cottage and not a suggestion or proposal for NFHS rules. Leaving school property during a school function could cause a liability issue.  8]

:sTiR:

Offline Ralph Damren

« Reply #31 on: June 23, 2022, 07:25:10 AM »
In this era of '24/7' coverage of everything, I'm afraid sometimes topics get quite obscure. The other night there was a riveting discussion on a local sports radio station regarding the current pay scale of the USFL......

It was stated that the minimum player's  salary is $600/game BUT the players all have to stay in a league-owned hotel . If they choose to have a roommate, each are charged $75/night  :!#. If my math is correct, that sounds like $525 of your paycheck would leave a player with $75 spending money  :o  :puke:

The talking heads also went on to say that if the USFL makes a profit ,after three years, teams from far away cities may come to play , not just local teams with names from far away cities  tiphat:

I quickly turned off the radio and went back to sleep. 8] In the morning, I pondered : (1) Was this just a bad dream  ??? , (2) "fake news" :puke: , (3) A remake of the movie....

THEY SHOOT HORSES, DON'T THEY ? -I don't think Jane Fonda would star in this one  :!#

Offline Ralph Damren

« Reply #32 on: February 18, 2023, 08:40:33 AM »
WE ARE A MERE FEW WEEKS FROM THE USFL SEASON-OPENING KICKOFF  tR:oLl

Do any of you know if they have pre-season games and will they be televised  ??? ???

Where nearly all the teams claim to be from places that they are not really from, the USFL could hold an auction to their fans to rename those teams and raise some needed $$$...

If I was to bid, Estcourt Station (Maine's northern-most town) probably would be my choice. However, part of Estcourt Station is in Canada and can only be reached by a road from Canada.I'm unsure if the USFL is ready for international exposure. I am sure, that not being a USFL fan, I would not bid in such an event.

Offline dammitbobby

• FAN REACTION: +27/-8
  • I know just enough to be dangerous...
« Reply #33 on: February 18, 2023, 09:19:47 AM »
When I went to school in Scotland, there was a football club named Partick Thistle in Glasgow that got relegated from the top flight all the way down to the bottom... the top two teams, Celtic and Rangers, absolutely hate each other, (violently at times) and when challenged, oftentimes people would say they were a Partick Thistle supporter to get out of the situation (and possibly evoke sympathy).  Every once in a while you'd see a jersey, but not often.

I'd love to see the Estcourt Station <insert mascot> being a viable contender/answer when asked who someone's favorite team is.

Just because.

Offline HLinNC

• FAN REACTION: +133/-24
« Reply #34 on: February 18, 2023, 11:57:53 AM »
Ralph, I think Fox and NBC are the two networks carrying USFL.  I imagine a lot of the games will wind up on their cable or streaming channels. 

Offline Ralph Damren

« Reply #35 on: February 18, 2023, 12:18:09 PM »
When I went to school in Scotland, there was a football club named Partick Thistle in Glasgow that got relegated from the top flight all the way down to the bottom... the top two teams, Celtic and Rangers, absolutely hate each other, (violently at times) and when challenged, oftentimes people would say they were a Partick Thistle supporter to get out of the situation (and possibly evoke sympathy).  Every once in a while you'd see a jersey, but not often.

I'd love to see the Estcourt Station <insert mascot> being a viable contender/answer when asked who someone's favorite team is.

Just because.
The Maine side of the border has a population of four in Estcourt Station. If there were a mascot, I would say it was the Sled Dawgs as ,without driving thru Canada, the closest Maine town - Allagash - can only be reached by dog sleds or snowmobiles in the Winter. Their 'team motto' could be : "ONLY THE LEAD DOG IN A DOG SLED HAS A CHANGE OF SCENERY.  cRaZy

Offline Ralph Damren

« Reply #36 on: February 18, 2023, 12:35:16 PM »
Ralph, I think Fox and NBC are the two networks carrying USFL.  I imagine a lot of the games will wind up on their cable or streaming channels.
Thanks, HL, but our CBS affiliate often carries Law & Order reruns . An other activity for we Mainers will be watching the mud dry  :).

Offline GA Umpire

• Refstripes Hero
  • FAN REACTION: +30/-3
« Reply #37 on: February 18, 2023, 07:07:47 PM »
WE ARE A MERE FEW WEEKS FROM THE USFL SEASON-OPENING KICKOFF  tR:oLl

I have not seen it mentioned here, but the XFL starts tonight.  ESPN.

Offline Ralph Damren

« Reply #38 on: February 19, 2023, 05:44:31 AM »
I have not seen it mentioned here, but the XFL starts tonight.  ESPN.
Is it live or reruns of their short lifespan  ??? If reruns, a sharp bookie  could profit from an unsharp football junkie  :!# . As I recall, the highlight of the XFL games was, in lieu of a coin toss, two opposing big ole' Bubbas would dive for a loose football.

Offline GA Umpire

• Refstripes Hero
  • FAN REACTION: +30/-3
« Reply #39 on: February 19, 2023, 04:27:36 PM »
Is it live or reruns of their short lifespan  ??? If reruns, a sharp bookie  could profit from an unsharp football junkie  :!# . As I recall, the highlight of the XFL games was, in lieu of a coin toss, two opposing big ole' Bubbas would dive for a loose football.
The XFL is live football and started this weekend.
Below is a link to their rules modifications.

https://www.xfl.com/rules

The kickoffs are very different this season.

Offline Ralph Damren

« Reply #40 on: February 20, 2023, 06:36:19 AM »
The XFL is live football and started this weekend.
Below is a link to their rules modifications.

https://www.xfl.com/rules

The kickoffs are very different this season.
That does spur my interest to at least watch the opening kickoff. I love sports and football is at the top of my list BUT THE New England Bruins are 42-8 (best in NHL) and THE New England Celtics are
42-17 (best in  NBA) . The Sox are in spring training and I'm preparing for my umpiring as soon as the mud dries. My football will be mostly chattting with you guys and a state coaches clinic coming up in a few weeks. Chatting with you guys is more fun  :).

Offline Ralph Damren

« Reply #41 on: February 26, 2023, 10:50:01 AM »
ESPN 4 PM EST  2/26

XFL game -somebody plays somebody...stay tuned.../.

Offline Ralph Damren

« Reply #42 on: February 26, 2023, 03:59:05 PM »
Orlando vs SA, watched the first period.  Mutterings of an ole' duffer.....

Sorta' like watching two unranked college teams - some players claim to fame was once drafted by NFL.
They didn't show 'coin toss' which used to be two big ole' Bubbas diving for a loose ball.
It appeared to be three officials in the backfield- the ref(wearing an adjustable hat), guy with red hat and lady with a ponytail.
Kickoffs seemed confusing.
Fans all sat on one side of the stadium.
Will USFL play XFL for some kind of championship ??

.....but it is football

Time to walk my hunting dawg before the sun sets.....

Offline HLinNC

« Reply #43 on: February 26, 2023, 04:09:15 PM »
Red hat's job is to spot the football, no other job.  They are using 7 person crews with 1 RO and 1 X (ball spotter).  All XFL officials are FBS level.

Striped t-shirts look cheesy. 

Offline Ralph Damren

« Reply #44 on: February 26, 2023, 07:55:11 PM »
Red hat's job is to spot the football, no other job.  They are using 7 person crews with 1 RO and 1 X (ball spotter).  All XFL officials are FBS level.

Striped t-shirts look cheesy.
The striped tee shirts along with the adjustable hats make the officials resemble what one might see on a Pop Warner field.

Offline HLinNC

« Reply #45 on: February 27, 2023, 09:34:51 AM »
adjustable hats

More maddening- the referee (white) hats were all adjustable as were the female officials.  (The NFL just went to adjustable caps for the ladies this past season, ostensibly so they didn't have to keep tucking ponytails  up in their cap.).  The ball spotters (red hats) and male non-referees were all wearing sized/solid back caps.  The uniforms look cheap, save the pants.  The former Alliance league unis were a bit gaudy but at least still looked official.

Under Armour is obviously the uniform sponsor but they screwed the pooch on this rig.  One would think Dean Blandino would have had more influence than that.

Offline Ralph Damren

« Reply #46 on: May 02, 2023, 07:51:33 AM »
Will there be a playoff between the XFL & USFL to see who's the best of....whatever ??

last question....

Would the best of these two leagues be able to compete with the worst NFL team ??

Offline ElvisLives

• FAN REACTION: +161/-143
  • The rules are there if you need them.
« Reply #47 on: May 02, 2023, 08:52:38 AM »
Will there be a playoff between the XFL & USFL to see who's the best of....whatever ??

last question....

Would the best of these two leagues be able to compete with the worst NFL team ??

Remember when a group of college all-stars would play an NFL team? (Yes, that used to happen, but those days are looooong gone, and ain't never coming back). The All-Stars competed, but were just out-classed. I think a USFL/XFL vs NFL second level team would be much like that.

Offline HLinNC

« Reply #48 on: May 02, 2023, 10:10:07 AM »
Remember when a group of college all-stars would play an NFL team?

The last game was in '76.  It got called due to a t-storm with torrential rain.  It was starting to die before that as NFL coaches didn't want their star rookie draft choices playing in it.

Offline riffraft

• FAN REACTION: +18/-19
« Reply #49 on: May 02, 2023, 03:33:21 PM »
Remember when a group of college all-stars would play an NFL team? (Yes, that used to happen, but those days are looooong gone, and ain't never coming back). The All-Stars competed, but were just out-classed. I think a USFL/XFL vs NFL second level team would be much like that.

1963 the college All-Stars beat the Green Bay Packers