Author Topic: Dew-Rags  (Read 5284 times)

Offline the clown

• FAN REACTION: +7/-19
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
Dew-Rags
« on: September 16, 2018, 01:23:52 PM »
Do we or do we not allow players to have anything hang out the back of their helmets besides hair?  Is it considered an "adornment?"  The rule book does not help where I'm looking and I'm seeing an awful lot of it these days.  Our association is not allowing it but a neighboring group allows it and we have a lot of crossover teams this preseason...

Offline sir55

• FAN REACTION: +12/-5
Re: Dew-Rags
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2018, 01:46:37 PM »
They are illegal equipment if they extend out of the helmet. Here is the comment for authority: 1.5.3 COMMENT:
There are many items that would be considered to be illegal uniform adornments. Examples include but are not limited to: 1) Play cards designed for the wrist, but strapped to the belt as in 1-5-3c(8); 2) Eye shade as detailed in 1-5-3c(3) or that extends outside the eye socket or below the cheek bone; 3) Bandanas and other items if exposed from under the football helmet; and 4) Sweat bands not placed properly. Examples of items that have been determined to be legal are 1) Spats that properly cover the shoes as intended by the manufacturer; 2) Skull caps manufactured to be worn on the head that do not alter the fit of the football helmet and are not exposed outside of the football helmet; 3) Tinted eyewear worn on the face and under the face mask; 4) Hand warmers that do not enhance grip or create an advantage for a player. Hope this helps.

Offline jwkde

• FAN REACTION: +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2018, 04:42:55 PM »
illegal equipment if it hangs out the back 

therefore a 15 yard Unsportsmanlike against the coach

Offline Stinterp

• FAN REACTION: +4/-16
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2018, 07:40:38 AM »
How about we just tell the kid to remove it?

Offline AlUpstateNY

• FAN REACTION: +341/-919
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2018, 08:20:30 AM »

Seems like a practical, common sense solution, that would require his leaving the field to comply.  Just might also provide an additional benefit in alerting any teammates who are trying to, out "Dew-Rag" each other, to get their act together.

Offline CalhounLJ

• FAN REACTION: +134/-1004
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2018, 08:39:40 AM »
This is one of my crew’s pregame activities. After the coaches meeting we walk through both teams warmups, pointing out these things and making sure they understand they can’t play until they get it right. We tell both coaches we are going to do this during our meeting with them. So far we have had 100% positive response.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline AlUpstateNY

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2018, 09:59:41 AM »
This is one of my crew’s pregame activities. After the coaches meeting we walk through both teams warmups, pointing out these things and making sure they understand they can’t play until they get it right. We tell both coaches we are going to do this during our meeting with them. So far we have had 100% positive response. Sent from my iPhone using

Another practical. effective and really easy to do preventive maintenance step, that can help avoid a lot of subsequent BS.

Offline stevegarbs

• FAN REACTION: +4/-2
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2018, 02:53:49 PM »
Performing Uniform Police duties during pre-game warm ups this past Friday I set a new personal record related to this question. Seeing the knot and tails of a doo rag sticking out from a helmet I approached the player to discuss it with him. As he turned around to face me I then saw the eye black on is face in the shape of crucifixes below each eye (he was playing for a parochial school) and I had to secure his full attention by asking him to stop using a pen to write some form of slogan or statement on the tape around his wrists. (How or why any player had a pen in the middle of the field remains a mystery).

After the nearest assistant coach saw the length of my subsequent explanation of the three separate uniform violations he made it a point to also get those details and work to fix the issues with the rest of the team.

For the record, I did NOT make him change his eye black but did warn him that I couldn't guarantee an official in a future game wouldn't be "that guy" and make him do so. I did insist the doo rag tail would cost him if I saw it during the game.

Offline AlUpstateNY

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2018, 04:12:47 PM »

For the record, I did NOT make him change his eye black but did warn him that I couldn't guarantee an official in a future game wouldn't be "that guy" and make him do so. I did insist the doo rag tail would cost him if I saw it during the game.

Had a similar situation a few years back, when I ran into a player going into the locker-room.  He didn't have his helmet on, but his entire face was painted from the eyes down. 

I said to him, "Oh, too bad you're not going to play tonight? To which he replied, "Sure  I am" to which I suggested, "Not with all that "stuff" on your face".  After a really pregnant pause, he asked, "Do you mean I have to take it off".  Sometimes when players are given, and understand, ALL the options, they'll make the right choice.

Offline HLinNC

• FAN REACTION: +133/-24
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2018, 08:42:35 AM »
therefore a 15 yard Unsportsmanlike against the coach

Not this year- player is removed until he becomes legal.

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +864/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2018, 10:05:16 AM »
This is one of my crew’s pregame activities. After the coaches meeting we walk through both teams warmups, pointing out these things and making sure they understand they can’t play until they get it right. We tell both coaches we are going to do this during our meeting with them. So far we have had 100% positive response.

100% agreement, Calhoun, preventative officiating  yEs:. In our pre-game ,after we introduce ourselves to the head coach, the HL goes to visit with his crew while two of us will walk through each team. An easy, non-combative way of finding obvious things before the action begins.

Offline sir55

• FAN REACTION: +12/-5
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2018, 11:52:14 AM »
It is a 15 yard USC penalty assessed against the HC if called. This is illegal equipment, not improperly worn equipment. There is a difference in the enforcement. Illegal equipment is still an USC foul against the HC.

Offline AlUpstateNY

« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2018, 03:07:38 PM »
It is a 15 yard USC penalty assessed against the HC if called. This is illegal equipment, not improperly worn equipment. There is a difference in the enforcement. Illegal equipment is still an USC foul against the HC.

NFHS:9-8-1-h; Following pregame verification as in 1-5-4, a coach allowing a player to use illegal equipment, is an USC penalty against the HC.

Detecting, and preventing, such illegal/improper legal equipment prior to it being actually used, is the best means of preventing it from violating
9-8-1-h.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2018, 03:12:26 PM by AlUpstateNY »

Offline scrounge

• FAN REACTION: +35/-23
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2018, 08:28:07 PM »

It's not illegal to have the bandana, it just can't be poking out from the helmet. So I'd say it is indeed just improperly worn equipment. And even if not? Just send the player off unless you think the coach is trying to pull a fast one. You'll be on the fast track to "That Guy" if you hit them for 15 for this.

Offline BIG DON

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +43/-10
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2018, 08:51:21 PM »
one of the biggest things I am seeing this year are schools that have order pants that look like bicycle shorts in the past and not any money to replace them this year,  they come out during pregame with knees uncovered, While talking to the coaches I am doing a quick scan and give the coaches the numbers of players that the pants need to be addressed, been told the last two weeks that they will have their players ready by game time.  Now when we are on the field we give a complete list of numbers to coaches of players that need to be address and remind them they have signed a card saying all of their players are legally equipped, I how ever begin to think that coaches think that Cast are the only concern in legally equipped.  even during are pregame meeting I go over what we are looking for. 
In the last two weeks for the first part of the 1st quarter I have ran players off the field for knees not covered because of the high water pants,  I have seen them pulled down and taped in place to keep them from riding up.  The rib pads on the back we just tell them to get them covered and this is taking care of without delay of the play clock.  Play cards are now not a problem over the last couple of years we got for the most part those cards taken care of and worn on the wrist where they belong.

Now I have quite a collection of the rubber live strong type bracelets these are just as bad a the high waters it seems no matter how much I preach to coaches and players they constantly come on the field with them.  I try to have a meeting with teams in the Area before season and go over the rule changes and what is expected of players and what and how to wear uniforms might as well be talking to a wall on some issues

do or do not there is no try

Offline TampaSteve

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +23/-13
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2018, 08:27:09 AM »
the thing with the pants is (around these parts) the County buys the uniforms/equipment...and doesnt buy pants every year.
So while 2/3 of the team doesnt have compliant pants, the coaches' hands are tied because he has no control.
Then, if he makes a request at the jamboree, it will take the county 4 months to get what he needs - if the County approves it.

Offline CalhounLJ

« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2018, 08:28:28 AM »
Then the county should be held responsible for buying legal pants.

Offline TampaSteve

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2018, 08:47:42 AM »
Then the county should be held responsible for buying legal pants.
Absolutely agree. they SHOULD. - but the buyer probably is just processing orders the County AD passes down to them. and the County AD may only buy pants every 3 years and we're in year 2.

Offline CalhounLJ

« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2018, 08:48:49 AM »
And I’m sure the clothing reps are pushing the college styled pants also.

Offline TampaSteve

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2018, 08:51:59 AM »
agree too, BUT with County budgets, etc., they're not buying anything.
it puts officials in an interesting situation.

Offline AlUpstateNY

« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2018, 04:08:33 PM »
agree too, BUT with County budgets, etc., they're not buying anything.
it puts officials in an interesting situation.

Unfortunately, life has a habit of presenting unfair, and/or unpopular decision challenges.  If (God forbid) ANY player is allowed to participate in direct violation of NFHS 1-3, and suffers a serious injury, as a result of that violation, YOU, failed to prevent, YOU  may be held responsible (in part or in whole) for financing his higher education, and/or other resulting expenses.

Of course the County (or Youth Football Organization) may elect to relieve you of those consequences (but that's a risky bet).