Football Officiating > NCAA Discussion

Intentional grounding but a lineman catches it: Runoff?

(1/5) > >>

Morningrise:
1/10 @ A-30. QB A11 is under duress at the A-21 when he throws the ball to the A-27 where no eligible receiver is nearby. But A55 catches the pass at the A-27 and runs out of bounds at the A-38. 0:56 remains in the half. Clock?

Legacy Zebra:
No runoff. The foul did not cause the clock to stop immediately. The ING will be accepted, and it will be 2nd and 19 at the A-21. The clock will stay at :56 and start on the snap.

ilyazhito:
Indeed, the ING would not stop the clock. Therefore, no 10-second runoff. Because the illegal touching won't stop play immediately, also no 10-second runoff. 2/19 from the A-21, 56 seconds remaining, clock on the snap (play clock at 25 seconds, because of penalty administration).

Legacy Zebra:

--- Quote from: ilyazhito on May 10, 2018, 04:40:21 PM ---Because the illegal touching won't stop play immediately, also no 10-second runoff.

--- End quote ---

This is NOT illegal touching. Not that it matters since the ING would be the accepted penalty anyway, but it’s important to note. Illegal touching only applies to legal passes. Since this is not a legal forward pass, it can’t be illegal touching by rule.

Magician:

--- Quote from: Legacy Zebra on May 10, 2018, 04:57:18 PM ---This is NOT illegal touching. Not that it matters since the ING would be the accepted penalty anyway, but it’s important to note. Illegal touching only applies to legal passes. Since this is not a legal forward pass, it can’t be illegal touching by rule.

--- End quote ---
I would consider this as illegal touching of a legal forward pass. I need to check the rule book, but I think the clock would start on the ready for play because it only stopped to administer the penalty.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version