Author Topic: Defenseless receiver after pass incomplete  (Read 3103 times)

Offline bbeagle

• FAN REACTION: +14/-52
Defenseless receiver after pass incomplete
« on: September 15, 2017, 08:58:32 AM »
3rd and 20. Pass thrown to receiver R1, he jumps up to catch it, bats the ball down in attempting to catch it. He doesn't make the catch. Ball falls incomplete. R1 lands on the ground, and 1/2 second later is blasted by B2 from behind.

Flag for hit on defenseless player.

Is this a dead-ball (down-counts, 4th and 5), or can something like this, so quickly after the play is over, be considered a live-ball foul where we repeat the down (3rd and 5)?

Offline Rulesman

• Past Keeper of the Keys
  • Refstripes Hero
  • FAN REACTION: +65535/-2
  • Live like tomorrow never comes.
Re: Defenseless receiver after pass incomplete
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2017, 09:06:03 AM »
Would have to see it to tell, but ONLY based on your description I would say dead ball foul for a late hit.
"Gentlemen, we are going to relentlessly chase perfection, knowing full well we will not catch it, because nothing is perfect. But we are going to relentlessly chase it, because in the process we will catch excellence. I am not remotely interested in just being good."
- Vince Lombardi

Offline scrounge

• FAN REACTION: +35/-23
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2017, 09:32:50 AM »
I know it's probably just shorthand, but i've seen this on F-book forums and other places enough to the point where it bears repeating - there is NO FOUL simply for "hit on a defenseless player". You're allowed to hit them - you just have to do it legally.

If the ball was clearly incomplete, then this sounds like a DB taking a free shot. Dead ball PF, but because it was unnecessary, not simply because it was a defenseless player.

A more bang-bang play, and it might just be nothing.

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +864/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2017, 10:26:44 AM »
FORWARD PASS LANDS ON GROUND = BALL DEAD > A LANDS ON GROUND > B LANDS ON A = Dead ball foul if you deem it to be cheap shot or unnecessary; just a dead ball if you don't....airborne players have to land somewhere.

Offline FLAHL

• FAN REACTION: +52/-9
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2017, 11:40:36 AM »
...airborne players have to land somewhere.

+1
Sir Isaac Newton absolutely agrees with you.  tiphat:

Offline VALJ

• FAN REACTION: +90/-14
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2017, 09:30:57 AM »
I know it's probably just shorthand, but i've seen this on F-book forums and other places enough to the point where it bears repeating - there is NO FOUL simply for "hit on a defenseless player". You're allowed to hit them - you just have to do it legally.

This.  A million times, this.  A "defenseless player" can still be contacted. He just has extra emphasis placed on him for the other player to be sure that the contact is legal.