Author Topic: Free kick play  (Read 5146 times)

GoGoGo

Free kick play
« on: September 22, 2010, 08:00:27 AM »
K is kicking off. The kicker is suppose to kick the ball deep but he hit it wrong and he kicks a low line drive. As the kicker is approaching the ball the R front line starts to move back to get into blocking position. The low line drive hits an R player in the face mask at the R45. K catches the ball in the air at the R44 and is off to the races for a TD.

What is the ruling?

john3459

Re: Free kick play
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2010, 08:10:40 AM »
K's ball at the point of possession. K can not advance a free kick.

LarryW60

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2010, 08:11:26 AM »
Hmm.  Normally K cannot recover an ungrounded free kick, but I believe the fact that R has touched the kick negates that requirement.  K is NOT allowed to advance any free kick, however, so I'd have K's ball 1st and 10 at R's 44.

GoGoGo

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2010, 09:22:47 AM »
I am stuck on the requirements that the ball must go 10 yards and touch the ground. Can anyone clear this up?

Offline bama_stripes

• FAN REACTION: +115/-27
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2010, 09:37:56 AM »
I am stuck on the requirements that the ball must go 10 yards and touch the ground. Can anyone clear this up?
In order for the kicking team to legally touch or possess a free kick, the kick must go 10 yards past K's free kick line AND touch the ground.  This can occur in either order.

ppaltice

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2010, 09:44:49 AM »
In NFHS (add I think all other levels), once R touches the kick (as long as the touching was not caused by K blocking R into the ball), K can legally catch or recover the kick.  Rule 6-5-6 covers catching a free kick after R has touched the ball and 6-1-5 discusses first touching of a free kick.  And yes, ball is dead at the spot where K catches or recovers the free kick.

Offline Atlanta Blue

• FAN REACTION: +160/-71
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2010, 10:31:36 AM »

See 6-1-5:  Any K player may recover the ball before it goes beyond R’s free-kick line if it is touched first by any receiver.

and

6-1-6:  If any K player touches a free kick before it crosses R’s free-kick line and before it is touched there by any R player, it is referred to as “first touching of the kick.”

Once R touches the kick, all restrictions for K's recovery are off.  K still can't advance it, but they can recover it.

ppaltice

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2010, 11:05:30 AM »
Once R touches the kick, all restrictions for K's recovery are off.  K still can't advance it, but they can recover it.

K can catch or recover the kick.  Again, 6-5-6 gives K the right to catch a kick once R touches the kick (as long as R is not blocked into the kick by K).

You have to look at 6-5-6 to get the "catch" part.