Author Topic: And so it starts...  (Read 7142 times)

Offline lawdog

• FAN REACTION: +3/-17
And so it starts...
« on: August 30, 2010, 12:17:46 PM »
So, we had the first game last Friday, a parochial school and a public school in the same town, both expecting good seasons, a home and home game essentially.  Pull into the stadium and the stands and lots are already full when we get there...OH BOY!

Not that close of a game as it turns out; ended up 18-2 (yes three missed extra points and a safety).  One real interesting play though...  A1 throws interception to B1 at about the B 9 yard line.  A2 facemasks B1 who escapes the facemask in time for B22 to block in the back on A77 at about the 20.  A77 is flat on the ground and A22 waits there as the return goes another 20 or so yards and unloads on him again as he's getting up at the end of the play for penalty #3 ater the turnover.  Oh and not that it matters, but just for fun, coach A was positive there had to have been pass interference on B before the INT too...

Discuss the enforcement...

Offline bama_stripes

• FAN REACTION: +115/-27
Re: And so it starts...
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2010, 02:17:28 PM »
Assuming the second hit by B22 was after the play was over:

B can retain possession by declining A's facemask foul.  Both the BIB and DB-PF on B22 will be enforced from the B-20, resulting in 1st-&-10 for B from the B-5.

Also, Coach A needs to calm down.

Offline lawdog

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2010, 02:52:37 PM »

B can retain possession by declining A's facemask foul.  Both the BIB and DB-PF on B22 will be enforced from the B-20, resulting in 1st-&-10 for B from the B-5.

Coach A didn't calm down until I dropped a sideline warning on him a few plays later...

Offline The Roamin' Umpire

• FAN REACTION: +30/-16
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2010, 11:57:29 AM »
I'd be considering an ejection for B22. It's probably just a kid being massively overzealous about his assignment, but this is an intentional foul and could be considered flagrant.

Ideally, if there's an official observing the B22/A77 interaction, I'd want him to be saying something like "Don't hit him, 22 - the play's over."

Offline lawdog

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2010, 01:09:49 PM »
The hit was really not bad enough to warrant a flagrant ejection, it was late and way uncalled for, but not particularly violent.  The coach made him sit on his own after the penalties.  he didn't get back in the game until his replacement was injured near the end of the game and they didn't have anyone else to throw in there.  I was watching them from a distance as the play kept going, but I agree it would have been nice with a bigger crew to sit someone on him after that hit. 

By the way, we enforced it exactly as bama said and I think that's right, but what if its not a dead ball on the last penalty?  Now what do you have?

Offline The Roamin' Umpire

• FAN REACTION: +30/-16
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2010, 05:58:40 AM »
By the way, we enforced it exactly as bama said and I think that's right, but what if its not a dead ball on the last penalty?  Now what do you have?

Now you have a multiple foul, and you can only enforce one, so it'll be 1/10 for B at their own 10. If there's any doubt at all, the second one's going to be dead ball.

Offline WingOfficial

• FAN REACTION: +2/-2
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2010, 03:26:19 PM »

If the facemask by A happened after the change of possession, why can't B accept the foul as a tack on to the end of the interception return?  Why do they have to decline the foul to keep possession?  Shouldn't it be that they would have the option of accepting either the face mask or the BIB since they're both live ball fouls?

Offline WingOfficial

• FAN REACTION: +2/-2
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2010, 03:32:07 PM »
Nevermind.  Double foul.  If B doesn't decline A's facemask, then the facemask and B's block in the back will cancel out and the down would be replayed.  (Giving the ball back to A).  Rule 10-2-1

Answered my own question.  ;D

Offline bama_stripes

• FAN REACTION: +115/-27
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2010, 12:54:01 PM »
Nevermind.  Double foul. 

The key to this play is to ask yourself "Did B get the ball (for the last time) before they fouled (IOW, with clean hands)?"  If the answer is "Yes", then they can keep the ball after being penalized for their own foul(s).