Author Topic: Best officiating "comebackers..."  (Read 4798 times)

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +864/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
Best officiating "comebackers..."
« on: March 15, 2019, 10:25:34 AM »
Sometimes an official's response is worth remembering ;D. This occurred many years ago when umpiring a Little League tourney. I had the plate and Harvey (a mailman) had the bases. A batting cage was built into the centerfield fence with a challenging ground rule of : "If the ball strikes the support of the cage (pipes) above the homerun fence, it's a home run. If it hits inside the cage it stays in play."

(1) A home team batter hits a shot directly at the cage;
(2) I couldn't tell if it hit inside the cage or the support;
(3) Harvey felt it hit inside;
(4) the centerfielder fielded the ball and nailed the batter trying for a double;
(5) out of the home dugout came : 3 coaches, a grandmother scorekeeper and a hunting dawg;
(6) they were are all yelling/barking that it hit the support;
(7) Harvey's attention was ,however, drawn to the local Catholic Priest who had been standing next to the batting cage;
(8) he was now running along the outside of the fence yelling : "HARVEY...HARVEY....";
(9) Harvey didn't go postal , he just raised his big hand and said : "With all due respect, Father, out on this field I'M GOD >:( !";
(10) the priest stopped and retreated back to his post in CF, coaches, grandma and dog all returned to their dugout.....

...AND THE BAND PLAYED ON  pHiNzuP
« Last Edit: March 15, 2019, 10:27:22 AM by Ralph Damren »

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +864/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
Re: Best officiating "comebackers..."
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2019, 12:24:59 PM »
As I watch the snow fall on VP Hamlin's statue (under Lincoln) in the park below, I recalled another "comebacker" I felt you guys might enjoy.....

(1) Early '70s, game in lumberjack country, WH was a retired Army Ranger with a tour in Viet. ;
(2) game ended with home team runner fumbling just before breaking goal line plane with potential winning TD;
(3) WH made the brave, but correct ruling after we conferred;
(4) as we were hurrying off the field, we were approached by a huge ,Paul Bunyon size, lumberjack;
(5) he went nose-to-nose with our WH ,who was half his size but twice as brave, and said;

"I'd punch you in the nose if I wouldn't go to jail >:( >:( "

WH responded : " You wouldn't go to jail, sir, You WOULD GO TO THE HOSPITAL  pi1eOn !"

The lumberjack cowered and quickly walked away.
The local sheriff  P_S walked over to ask if there was a problem  ??? ??? .

WH responded : "Just a friendly discussion about the last play  8] ."

......as we left I felt he had witnessed  many events that would make that one a "friendly discussion"  :patrioticon: :patrioticon: :patrioticon: :patrioticon: : (4-man crew then)

Offline yarnnelg

• FAN REACTION: +55/-37
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2022, 05:56:50 PM »
Coach says "Ray, I know what the crew's problem is. You all wear glasses!"

Thought for a second, stepped back ...."Coach, you wear glasses too."

Offline AlUpstateNY

• FAN REACTION: +341/-919
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2022, 12:18:22 PM »
Remember a game, a while back, working with a senior HLM, who had a serious hearing deficiency.  After a specific play, that required a brief conference with crewmembers, before agreeing with the HLM's call, the aggrieved coach let loose a string of invectives at the HLM, who asked the U, "what did he say?"

The U replied, "He said you were doing a hell of a job", to which the HLM replied, to the coach, "Thanks, just doing my job".  The coach didn't offer a peep the rest of the game. 

Hard of hearing can be a special gift to football officials, and husbands.

Offline Etref

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +85/-28
  • " I don't make the rules coach!"
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2022, 11:33:52 AM »
Working a wing in a high school game. Coach behind me is snippy from the start. He gets louder and louder as the game progresses.  R had a hold (takedown almost) and the coach lost it calling him a “gray haired SON OF A GUN” I flagged it and we marched another 15 towards his goal line. This put the ball about the 23-24 yard line. He is still behind me mouthing. I never looked back, just said “ you are inside the 25 aren’t you coach?)

His priceless reply was “ well yeah, I’m stupid but not crazy”
" I don't make the rules coach!"

Offline VALJ

• FAN REACTION: +90/-14
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2023, 04:12:48 PM »
Perhaps apocryphal, but there’s a story in our association from one of our officials many, many years back.

At one point I’m the game, the head coach told the WH “you stink.”

After throwing the flag and marching it off, the WH turned and asked the coach ”how do I smell from down here?”
« Last Edit: July 18, 2023, 10:35:06 PM by VALJ »

Offline SCHSref

• FAN REACTION: +15/-10
  • In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2023, 02:19:52 PM »
Coach was giving my partner, the LJ, a hard time about everything. The coach looked at the LJ and said, "You're supposed to be having fun out here." The LJ quipped back and said, "I am having fun. How about you coach?"  Coach shut up because it had been almost 20 years since he had started the season 0-3.
If you didn't see it, you can't call it