Football Officiating > National Federation Discussion

Moving to umpire

(1/8) > >>

IA Linesman:
After 7 years as HL I'm making the move to the inside.  I have filled in for lower level games here and there and feel confident that I will be adequate.  But what I would like to ask the group is what makes a GREAT umpire? 

Thanks
IA (Linesman?)

CalhounLJ:

--- Quote from: IA Linesman on April 13, 2018, 05:03:34 PM ---After 7 years as HL I'm making the move to the inside.  I have filled in for lower level games here and there and feel confident that I will be adequate.  But what I would like to ask the group is what makes a GREAT umpire? 

Thanks
IA (Linesman?)

--- End quote ---
An ability to spot the ball. 😂
Seriously, a guy who hustles, knows the rules, can help his WH administer penalties. Somebody with a commanding but positive presence in the middle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AlUpstateNY:
.  But what I would like to ask the group is what makes a GREAT umpire?  [/quote]

You'll be in a position none of your crew mates enjoy, where you will be able to communicate, privately, with players on both sides of the ball.  That gives you the opportunity, in addition to spotting infractions, of possibly helping avoid them from happening, with carefully chosen appropriate reminders and/or suggestions in those private communications.  You'll also have the opportunity to sense emotional trouble brewing, and intervene to lessen tension before it materializes.

It's a special level of interaction you'll likely enjoy.

FLAHL:
I’m so lucky to work with a guy that I consider to be a great U. Here are some of the things he does that I really appreciate:

1)  He hustles every single play and doesn’t confine himself to “inside the hash marks only”
2)  He knows the rules and excels at penalty administration. While I am signaling to the press box, he is marking the distance and confirming with the wings that everyone agrees with the new spot
3)  He talks to linemen and linebackers after nearly every play - they all KNOW he’s in the game
4)  He flags holding only if it’s a “train wreck” that affects the play
5)  He is willing to step up and rule (or overrule) wings on comple vs incomplete passes if he has a better view
6)  He is in excellent physical shape
7)  He is completely comfortable questioning or challenging me if he sees a need to do that, but he does it in a nonconfrontional manner.
7)  This may be what I appreciate most - He is always cool and calm. When tense moments happen, he is the one guy I can count on 100% to be relaxed, unemotional, and professional.

ElvisLives:

--- Quote from: FLAHL on April 14, 2018, 12:07:17 PM ---I’m so lucky to work with a guy that I consider to be a great U. Here are some of the things he does that I really appreciate:

1)  He hustles every single play and doesn’t confine himself to “inside the hash marks only”
2)  He knows the rules and excels at penalty administration. While I am signaling to the press box, he is marking the distance and confirming with the wings that everyone agrees with the new spot
3)  He talks to linemen and linebackers after nearly every play - they all KNOW he’s in the game
4)  He flags holding only if it’s a “train wreck” that affects the play
5)  He is willing to step up and rule (or overrule) wings on comple vs incomplete passes if he has a better view
6)  He is in excellent physical shape
7)  He is completely comfortable questioning or challenging me if he sees a need to do that, but he does it in a nonconfrontional manner.
7)  This may be what I appreciate most - He is always cool and calm. When tense moments happen, he is the one guy I can count on 100% to be relaxed, unemotional, and professional.

--- End quote ---

FLAHL,
That very well says it all.  Great reply.  IA Linesman, be this, and you’ll be a ‘great’ Umpire.
Robert

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version