Football Officiating > National Federation Discussion

Moving to umpire

<< < (2/8) > >>

bossman72:
The best Umpire's I've worked with can run the game and manage the game just as well as the R.  Don't just be floating around waiting for the R to tell you what to do on penalties.  Get the info yourself and get the rest of the crew going while the R does his thing on the mic.

Ralph Damren:
The most important ingredient of becoming an umpire is SAFETY - yours!!

At the high school level most of the kids will try to avoid you, not necessarily true at above  yEs: yEs: pi1eOn yEs: yEs: (5-man crew).

I umpired for several years before becoming a white hat and felt it was a promotion from the wings but took my share of lumps. On a sweep you usually have plenty of time to react if the ball carrier is coming your way ,but not so as an umpire  sNiCkErS  :o . In learning to read the plays, I found that reacting to the guards worked best.

(1) If the guard drives the defender toward you = git outta' town, the play is coming your way - backtrack and watch for illegal blocks.

(2) If the guard pulls = a sweep is developing watch the pulling guard for blocking below the waist and holding, as he is key to the play.

(3) If the guard retreats = this is probably a pass play, move to LOS as you have plenty of pass play duties BUT stay alert for possible draw.

While these keys may help, you probably will still get run over...just not as much :P . With 22 kids all running towards you, be ready. You'll enjoy your future move to referee even more, where those same 22 kids are running away from you!
               tiphat: 

Magician:
Great advice. Your holds will actually be very limited. Most of the time the interior lineman are only trying to collapse the pocket on pass plays and running plays up the middle are usually either backs running into a mass of humanity or through the hole so quickly there is no opportunity to hold. I would say 90% of my holding flags are blitzing linebackers (always key on them) or the rusher who beats his lineman and you get a hook and restrict or grab and restrict. The tricky one is the pullover, but you don't see it often.

Be vocal before and after plays. Let the pile know you are there. Talk to both teams. They will respect you. Your biggest surprise may be learning how stressful the sidelines are with coaches and how great the players in the middle usually are. I made the same move about 10 years ago, and I love it!

The risk of getting run over is definitely there. If it comes down to staying with your keys or avoiding getting run over. Go with the latter. You will last longer. The more you work the better your peripheral will pick up the crossing routes and the back side tackle/tight end block coming at your back. Also be ready to duck or dodge the short pass to the receiver behind you. I've batted down a couple passes and taken a couple off the top of the head.

js in sc:
As an umpire, I agree with what has been said about avoiding being run over.  I would also add, on a scrimmage kick, esp. a punt, continue to officiate the line after the kick.  This will prevent cheap shots.  Also, DO NOT WATCH THE BALL or you will be run over.  Do not turn downfield until the defenders (K) go past you.  They are watching the ball and not you.  pi1eOn

AlUpstateNY:
An immediate added benefit of the Umpire position, it constantly enhances your "paying attention to your surroundings" skills.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version