Football Officiating > State-Specific Topics (Texas Not Included)

Massachusetts switches to NFHS rules

(1/3) > >>

Tobes:
Starting in 2019/2020

https://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/high-schools/2018/08/07/miaa-aligns-rulebooks-with-nfhs-standards/PaYONZeBzPxHRDhlNwQldM/story.html

The article seems to deal mostly with volleyball, but the MIAA wanted to make the switch across the board in every sport.

Tobes:
Never mind, saw this was posted already. Sorry.

ilyazhito:
Well, basketball is not aligned because of the shot clock. All the other rules are NFHS, but the shot clock rules are not aligned unless NFHS chooses to adopt it nationally by 2020.

Tobes:

--- Quote from: ilyazhito on August 10, 2018, 04:07:29 PM ---Well, basketball is not aligned because of the shot clock. All the other rules are NFHS, but the shot clock rules are not aligned unless NFHS chooses to adopt it nationally by 2020.

--- End quote ---

True. Point taken.

Also, the Globe article talked about a desire to avoid lawsuits as one of the reasons for the switch?

What could be a reason for a lawsuit? An injury sustained while playing with NCAA rules that may have been prevented by using NFHS rules or something like that?

clearwall:
Not a lawyer or anything, but what is the reasoning for this change? I know the article says it avoids possible litigation, but unless there is a threat of one, what possible litigation could you have by choosing to use a specific ruleset over another? What about sports that DONT have an NFHS rulebook? Are you still under threat of litigation because of that? I dont see how that is a justification. "NFHS addresses sportsmanship, fairplay..." so does the NCAA. This seems baffling to me

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version