Author Topic: pity fouls  (Read 6280 times)

Wettstein

pity fouls
« on: February 02, 2016, 05:51:36 AM »
Okay, let me "dis" qualify myself here.  I am not a basketball fan, coach, official, or player.  I don't watch it except at the rec level which my son plays.  I will sometimes go to a high school game.

One of the reasons I hate it is because I feel the officiating is basketball is the most questionable of the big 3 (football, baseball, basketball).  It appears to me that most basketball fouls are called based of what the official "thinks" happen because of his/her poor line of sight.

Practically all plays at the net when a defender tries to block the shot will be called a foul.  I don't think the officials are often in position to see if there is contact by the defending player to the shooter most of the time.  I think they feel this is just automatic.

Traveling is rarely called anymore unless the guy takes twenty steps or more.  Charging is rarely called on the offensive player.

But I guess what I really hate (at all sports not just basketball) is when officials feel the need to keep the game close and call more fouls against the leading team.  This is so obvious at times it is not funny.  Although I would agree if there was an obvious coach/team rudely running up the score, it would be appropriate to slightly let the situation determine your calls (I know it is somewhat contradictory), this is rare - at least in my part of the country.

Officials, in my opinion, have the obligation to call the game correctly regardless of the score.  They have the obligation to get in position to see and "know" the foul to call it.  If you don't see it, don't call it.  I've heard baseball officials call outs because they said the way the jersey moved led them to believe there was a tag.  Jeez.

I know basketball requires endurance , so if one wants to officiate the game - get in shape and get ready.  The game should not be officiated by one guy standing at the end of the court and another at the other end.

Just my two cents.

Offline bama_stripes

• FAN REACTION: +115/-27
Re: pity fouls
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2016, 07:41:37 AM »
Practically all plays at the net when a defender tries to block the shot will be called a foul.  I don't think the officials are often in position to see if there is contact by the defending player to the shooter most of the time.  I think they feel this is just automatic.

Many times, the illegal contact is with the body, not "up top".  Most fans are watching the ball and miss such contact.

I've heard baseball officials call outs because they said the way the jersey moved led them to believe there was a tag.  Jeez.

In baseball, especially in two-man crews, you have to get to the best position possible, not the best possible position.  If there's a swipe tag at first base, the base umpire will quite likely NOT be able to get an angle that allows him to see the tag/no tag.  We use any clues available, including the movement of the fielder's glove and the movement (or lack thereof) of the runner's uniform top.

Wettstein

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2016, 03:54:23 PM »
Many times, the illegal contact is with the body, not "up top".  Most fans are watching the ball and miss such contact.

If this was true, then there would be many fouls up and down the court.  Illegal body contact happens all over the court.  However since the officials don't like to move around the court and usually hang out at the basket, this could be why they don't see it.

In baseball, especially in two-man crews, you have to get to the best position possible, not the best possible position.  If there's a swipe tag at first base, the base umpire will quite likely NOT be able to get an angle that allows him to see the tag/no tag.  We use any clues available, including the movement of the fielder's glove and the movement (or lack thereof) of the runner's uniform top.

I don't believe the rules "if a tag is suspected, the runner is out".  However I will concede that the official has to call something (safe or out) and both ways will be what he/she "thinks" and not what he/she knows.  However, I will state that in my observation, the official is often not in the "best position possible" because they didn't place themselves correctly or make sufficient effort to get in the "best position possible".  Chief Umpires seldom move themselves from behind the plate, base umpires rarely hustle to third, basketball officials rarely jog......but one I did see one official in last Friday's HS basketball jog/run up and down the court all game (he was an older guy too).

« Last Edit: February 02, 2016, 03:56:29 PM by Wettstein »

Offline bama_stripes

• FAN REACTION: +115/-27
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2016, 10:35:06 AM »
I will state that in my observation, the official is often not in the "best position possible" because they didn't place themselves correctly or make sufficient effort to get in the "best position possible".  Chief Umpires seldom move themselves from behind the plate, base umpires rarely hustle to third, basketball officials rarely jog

That may be true where you live.  'Round here, it's expected that officials will hustle to the best position possible.  Those that don't will find themselves officiating from their recliner.

Offline Rulesman

• Past Keeper of the Keys
  • Refstripes Hero
  • FAN REACTION: +65535/-2
  • Live like tomorrow never comes.
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2016, 01:38:27 PM »
Nothing drives coaches crazier (in any sport) than lazy officials. I think AB will agree.
"Gentlemen, we are going to relentlessly chase perfection, knowing full well we will not catch it, because nothing is perfect. But we are going to relentlessly chase it, because in the process we will catch excellence. I am not remotely interested in just being good."
- Vince Lombardi

Wettstein

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2016, 05:59:50 PM »
I took a video clip of an official at one of our games the other night but it was too big to upload here (3.5 meg).

I'd be interested to know if I am being too critical on expecting them to try harder.  If anyone wishes for me to email you the clip, let me know.