Author Topic: sunglasses  (Read 22919 times)

Offline jodibuck

• FAN REACTION: +0/-0
sunglasses
« on: September 07, 2018, 09:49:36 AM »
At an afternoon sub-varsity scrimmage yesterday, we had a very spirited discussion about officials wearing sunglasses.  One of our veteran white hats chastised one of our newbies about wearing his "Oakleys" on the football field.  He said: "we don't wear sunglasses in football". 

I wear prescription eyeglasses and do wear prescription sunglasses for umpiring baseball and softball.  I know when I began officiating football in my white knickers, our veterans did not allow us to wear sunglasses on the football field. 

I cannot find any requirement or recommendation in the NFHS Officials Manual stating sunglasses are not allowed.  I believe each official should be allowed to wear sunglasses (prescription or not) if it helps them see the playing action. 

Offline WVABJ1807

• FAN REACTION: +1/-0
Re: sunglasses
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2018, 10:01:56 AM »
Im a firm believer in not wearing them.  College guys work on saturday afternoons in the sun and you dont see them wearing them. Same goes for the NFL guys.  Now if your Rx glasses automatically tint bc of the sun, thats fine. but no regular sunglasses.  We dont allow it.

Offline scrounge

• FAN REACTION: +35/-23
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2018, 10:57:50 AM »
I think that outlawing sunglasses is archaic and downright silly, especially at the subvarsity level. Now, of course, do as they do in whatever section of Rome you're in, but in my opinion, this is just a "we've always done it that way" thing with no basis in reason other than *maybe* how it looks on TV. On a superbright Sep Saturday for a JV game? Yea, I'm wearing them.

Offline brettjr2005

• FAN REACTION: +2/-3
  • CIF
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2018, 11:40:20 AM »
I think it has to do with the level of communication and transparency that is expected of a football official.  It's similar to the mindset that it's rude when athletes (most commonly racecar drivers) are doing an interview and leave their sunglasses on.  I think that a lot of people feel like there's a "wall" up of sorts when you're wearing sunglasses and that conversation with you isn't as genuine and personal when you have them on.  I don't really have an issue with sunglasses, but I understand it because eye contact and the unspoken communication with the eyes is a natural part of how people communicate and interact  Because baseball umpires are out on the field away from everyone and have practically zero communication with players or managers/coaches, it's not an issue.  With football, you're right there in the middle of the action, constantly directly next to and occasionally even coming into contact with coaches and players and you're constantly communicating with them.  I think that because of those things the sunglasses "wall" is off-putting to some people.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2018, 11:42:44 AM by brettjr2005 »

Offline riffraft

• FAN REACTION: +18/-19
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2018, 12:54:54 PM »
All I know is when I am working the sideline at 6pm for a subvarsity game with the low desert sun burning straight into my eyes, I am wearing my sunglasses until the sun gets below the bleacher. At least I can see somewhat.

Offline edtude

• FAN REACTION: +6/-0
  • Just a target for Running Backs and Tight Ends....
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2018, 01:00:08 PM »
I think it has to do with the level of communication and transparency that is expected of a football official.  It's similar to the mindset that it's rude when athletes (most commonly racecar drivers) are doing an interview and leave their sunglasses on.  I think that a lot of people feel like there's a "wall" up of sorts when you're wearing sunglasses and that conversation with you isn't as genuine and personal when you have them on.  I don't really have an issue with sunglasses, but I understand it because eye contact and the unspoken communication with the eyes is a natural part of how people communicate and interact  Because baseball umpires are out on the field away from everyone and have practically zero communication with players or managers/coaches, it's not an issue.  With football, you're right there in the middle of the action, constantly directly next to and occasionally even coming into contact with coaches and players and you're constantly communicating with them.  I think that because of those things the sunglasses "wall" is off-putting to some people.

I can understand this completely, but I wear prescription glasses -have never been able to tolerate contacts-- and am very light sensitive. Further depending on the time of day you might be completely blinded and what good is that? So I have prescription sport glasses which are polarized as well as sunsensors. When I am talking to a coach either pregame or discussing anything of import, I simply remove them so that I am eye to eye with him or her. When I am discussing penalty enforcement on the field with a player or any other issue, not so much. I need my glasses or I would be the proverbial blind ref out there!

Offline ElvisLives

• FAN REACTION: +161/-143
  • The rules are there if you need them.
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2018, 01:19:53 PM »
College guys work on saturday afternoons in the sun and you dont see them wearing them. Same goes for the NFL guys.

Saw some this last weekend.  If you haven't, you will.

I'm old school, and don't like them, either.  But I fear I am a decided minority.

Robert

Offline FLAHL

• FAN REACTION: +52/-9
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2018, 02:02:49 PM »
I had lasek surgery on both eyes about 10 years ago and my vision is great.  One side effect is sensitivity to bright sunlight.  Without sunglasses, I couldn't work afternoons or early evenings.

I find it interesting that most NCAA and NFL officials don't wear sunglasses, but an awful lot of coaches do wear them.  If it helps you to see better, isn't that the most important thing?

Offline bbeagle

• FAN REACTION: +14/-52
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2018, 03:14:17 PM »
I agree with brettjr2005. In my opinion, wearing sunglasses is not professional and shows disrespect. You look sloppy, aloof and someone who doesn't seem to want to be there, would rather be at a beach.

Say you went out on the field:
(a) without your striped shirt tucked in, it's flailing about when you're running
(b) had your zipper all the way down on your striped shirt with your thick burly chest hair all out (with the tinted sunglasses too, you're looking like Burt Reynolds)
(c) when you have a long thin blade of hay/grass in your mouth, sticking out, and you're chewing it all game
(d) when your face and hands are all muddy and dirty from doing some sort of work right before the game
(e) wearing your hat on backwards with the rim facing the back

Those are all very similar, to me, to wearing sunglasses.

Offline prab

• FAN REACTION: +37/-47
  • Wherever you go, there you are!
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2018, 07:14:01 PM »
I agree with brettjr2005. In my opinion, wearing sunglasses is not professional and shows disrespect. You look sloppy, aloof and someone who doesn't seem to want to be there, would rather be at a beach.

Say you went out on the field:
(a) without your striped shirt tucked in, it's flailing about when you're running
(b) had your zipper all the way down on your striped shirt with your thick burly chest hair all out (with the tinted sunglasses too, you're looking like Burt Reynolds)
(c) when you have a long thin blade of hay/grass in your mouth, sticking out, and you're chewing it all game
(d) when your face and hands are all muddy and dirty from doing some sort of work right before the game
(e) wearing your hat on backwards with the rim facing the back

Those are all very similar, to me, to wearing sunglasses.

To summarize, bbeagle does not think that wearing sunglasses presents a professional appearance.  Therefore, no official should wear them.  I think that should end the discussion on this matter

Offline AlUpstateNY

• FAN REACTION: +341/-919
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2018, 08:08:18 AM »
Unless, of course, someone dares to disagree.

Offline ilyazhito

• FAN REACTION: +11/-13
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2018, 10:14:54 AM »
I object! Wearing sunglasses is a practical matter, and is approved by certain high school football associations (such as the San Diego County Football Officials Association) with certain guidelines (black or gray lenses, a sports sunglasses design, take them off when talking to coaches, and when no longer needed for visibility).

Offline bbeagle

« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2018, 07:22:02 AM »
To summarize, bbeagle does not think that wearing sunglasses presents a professional appearance.  Therefore, no official should wear them.  I think that should end the discussion on this matter

Thank you. Perfect summarization.  :)

Seriously though, I don't understand the hostility. It's my personal opinion. You have yours. You're acting like I don't have a right to a personal opinion by taunting me. (That's a 15 yard penalty, isn't it?)
« Last Edit: September 10, 2018, 07:24:40 AM by bbeagle »

Offline AlUpstateNY

• FAN REACTION: +341/-919
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2018, 08:11:52 AM »
Thank you. Perfect summarization.  :)

Seriously though, I don't understand the hostility. It's my personal opinion. You have yours. You're acting like I don't have a right to a personal opinion by taunting me. (That's a 15 yard penalty, isn't it?)

"Opinions" are like a-holes, we each have one and it's likely just a little different than anyone else's. We each get to decide when to throw rocks,  but when we do we give up the right to complain about any that are likely to be thrown back.

Offline TampaSteve

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +23/-13
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2018, 10:41:39 AM »
Personally, I dont see why not wear sunglasses. - certainly if they're not bright pink with hello kitty on them and look understated and professional.
Although it's rare, i have seen some college guys with sunglasses.

Interesting though, it's rather common to see MLB unpires wear sunglasses while it's a bit taboo with football.

Offline UTchad

• FAN REACTION: +2/-2
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2018, 11:28:46 AM »
For subvarsity I ALWAYS wear sunglasses. BUT I also put them on top of my hat when talking with a coach. I think it shows respect that he can see my eyes. They are prescription.

For my friday night games I NEVER wear sunglasses or glasses. Instead I just wear my contacts. But sometimes the first 30 minutes of the game it is difficult to see with the sun in your eyes.

Offline bossman72

• FAN REACTION: +301/-25
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2018, 08:33:07 AM »
College guys work on saturday afternoons in the sun and you dont see them wearing them. Same goes for the NFL guys. 

You're not looking hard enough.  Both the NFL and some FBS D1 conferences permit sunglasses and they have been worn on the field.

Offline bawags06

• FAN REACTION: +3/-2
  • When old players go blind, they become officials.
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2018, 01:06:53 PM »
I have a pair of solid black Oakley X-Tens that I will wear for subvarsity games. They are not flashy, and I do take them off to speak with coaches. I agree that eye contact is important, but seeing the field accurately is more important.

Offline bbeagle

« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2018, 02:30:54 PM »
I have a pair of solid black Oakley X-Tens that I will wear for subvarsity games. They are not flashy, and I do take them off to speak with coaches. I agree that eye contact is important, but seeing the field accurately is more important.

Offline Joe Stack

• FAN REACTION: +33/-46
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2018, 10:02:30 PM »
There is absolutely nothing wrong with glasses, sunglasses, or clear glasses for eye protection. Anyone saying different is being obnoxious. Your eyes need protection from the sun.

Now, if you wear sunglasses you need to wear them properly. Not over the cap bill; not behind the neck; etc. If it gets too dark for sunglasses, put them in your pocket or in your car.

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +864/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2018, 06:35:50 AM »
In my daze of youth (during Ike & JFK years) I always wore sunglasses to the beach or other locale that the prom queen & her court might hang out. 8]. To me, they were my "peakers" and allowed me to stare rather than glance. While I've never wore them during officiating, I understand their potential need. I would suggest removing them when addressing a coach as, IMHO, eye contact is important to maintain control.

8] 8] 8] 8] 8] (5 man crew)

Offline TampaSteve

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +23/-13
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2018, 12:43:08 PM »
Part of our job on the field is to review/verify/ensure et al upon 'safety'.
Protection of our one set of eyes we'll ever get is (seemingly) paramount.
Upon that notion, it seems unreasonable not to allow an official to wear sunglasses.

Offline red viking

• FAN REACTION: +0/-1
« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2018, 10:16:29 AM »
If they help you see better, wear them. That would typically only apply closer to the noon hour or if an official is looking into the sun.

In college, appearance becomes more of a priority because of the television, at least at the D1 level.

Offline prab

• FAN REACTION: +37/-47
  • Wherever you go, there you are!
« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2018, 10:45:47 AM »
So to expand the discussion a bit, how do you feel about officials with facial hair, beards, goatees, mustaches, etc.?

Offline FLAHL

• FAN REACTION: +52/-9
« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2018, 11:11:53 AM »
I want to work with officials who hustle, communicate, study the rules, strive to get better, care about the players and the game, and have fun.  I don't care if they wear sunglasses, have beards, or have false teeth.